Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:08 AM   #1
gekkota
macrumors member

Selling an iPad That Crashes a Lot

Once the iPad 5 is available, I am planning on upgrading and finally getting rid of my iPad 1. I've been debating about the best way to do this...eBay, Craigslist, amazon, etc.

The problem is that ever since I updated the OS to 5+ it has been crashing a lot. Under the diagnostics, there are hundreds and hundreds of "low memory" crashes on numerous apps (including the App Store itself.) So I am feeling guilty about selling an iPad that I know crashes a lot.

I see that there is an option on amazon to sell an iPad to amazon. You answer a few questions about the outward appearance--scratches, engraving, etc. The only question about function is whether the iPad turns on. They are currently offering $148 for my 32GB wifi/3g model in excellent condition. I assume that they would check it out once they received it, so I would feel less guilty selling it to amazon than to a real person.

Any opinions or suggestions on what to do? Also, if I restored my ipad to factory specs would that help with the crashing issue? Appreciate any feedback.
gekkota is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:17 AM   #2
TheMacBookPro
macrumors 68020

see vendor information in user profile
Restoring the firmware should fix the crashing assuming there isn't a hardware issue. Give it a shot before taking the offer from Amazon, you should be able to get $200 easily on craigslist or ebay.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:52 AM   #3
BrennerM
macrumors regular

I would definitely reset it to factory (i.e. wipe out all of your data and apps) and see if Safari and the other built-in apps work OK after the wipe.

If you are still getting a lot of crashes, there might be a hardware problem (faulty RAM or something similar).
BrennerM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMacBookPro View Post
Restoring the firmware should fix the crashing assuming there isn't a hardware issue.
Low memory on an ipad 1 is generally a hardware issue. Because it has little ram and apps etc expect more. So if you run more than about 3 things at the same thing, you run out of RAM cause there's no virtual memory in the iPad
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:15 PM   #5
shoota
macrumors member

That doesn't make sense. A hardware issue would have nothing to do with the amount, faulty is faulty and it would crash.
shoota is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:19 PM   #6
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030

Restore it completely new and sell it for cheap.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:41 PM   #7
lokster
macrumors regular

agreed, i used to have an ipad 1, its a world of a difference compared to my ipad 3 now.

What i suggest is just restore the ipad to factory settings, the last firmware it was on was 5.1.1

that should solve the problem,
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:27 PM   #8
gekkota
macrumors member

Thanks, everyone!
I guess what I'll do is restore it to factory specs and then sell it once the new iPad comes out. I really need to upgrade, since many of the apps & games I like have updates that my iPad 1 can't handle.
Kinda sad, though, since I was one of the people who stood in line for hours on release day...good memories!
gekkota is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 06:53 PM   #9
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68000

Why not just keep it? And you can blame the 256mb of ram for the crashing.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 7.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Medic311
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekkota View Post
Thanks, everyone!
I guess what I'll do is restore it to factory specs and then sell it once the new iPad comes out. I really need to upgrade, since many of the apps & games I like have updates that my iPad 1 can't handle.
Kinda sad, though, since I was one of the people who stood in line for hours on release day...good memories!
after you factory restore it, it will be MUCH faster. so much faster you might want to continue using it and not sell it

although, it still won't be able the play the most graphics intensive games in the App Store

the iPad 1 is still quite an amazing device considering where the industry was 3 years ago and how it's still ~ 90% functional 3 years later. we will be saying the same about the iPad 2 as well - considering how much of a beast the A5 is even in 2013

Last edited by Medic311; Mar 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Medic311 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502

I passed my iPad 1st Gen 64 GB AT&T to my 10-year-old daughter. I restored it to stock iOS and loaded apps and media for her age on it. There have been a couple times it has crashed but she finds that if she reboots it each day it works better.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
crash, ipad, selling