Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 5, 2012, 01:25 PM   #26
Mr Dobey
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Slightly off subject but, do you know the refresh rate of MacBook Pro screens? is it 60Hz, 72Hz?
Mr Dobey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2012, 03:03 PM   #27
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dobey View Post
Slightly off subject but, do you know the refresh rate of MacBook Pro screens? is it 60Hz, 72Hz?
60 Hz at least. It plays back 60 fps video footage just fine. Dunno if it can play back faster footage.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2012, 08:38 PM   #28
Mr Dobey
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Just curious because the 120fps got me thinking of 120Hz TV screens and how it would be nice to see how 120fps vs 60fps would look on my MacBook Pro if it could support it.

Off topic yes, but on the topic of high fps and stuff:

There are TV's now that physically refresh at 120Hz right? I know there's some phonies out there that only refresh at 60Hz and use interpolation to make it look smooth for advertising '120Hz, 240Hz etc...'
Mr Dobey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:30 AM   #29
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Dobey View Post
Just curious because the 120fps got me thinking of 120Hz TV screens and how it would be nice to see how 120fps vs 60fps would look on my MacBook Pro if it could support it.

Off topic yes, but on the topic of high fps and stuff:

There are TV's now that physically refresh at 120Hz right? I know there's some phonies out there that only refresh at 60Hz and use interpolation to make it look smooth for advertising '120Hz, 240Hz etc...'
Yup, a lot of 3D-with-glasses screens are truly 120 Hz (without interpolation) so that each eye could see its part of the broadcast at 60 fps:

"When LCD shutter glasses are used for stereo 3D displays, the effective refresh rate is halved, because each eye needs a separate picture. For this reason, it is usually recommended to use a display capable of at least 120 Hz, because divided in half this rate is again 60 Hz. Higher refresh rates result in greater image stability, for example 72 Hz non-stereo is 144 Hz stereo, and 90 Hz non-stereo is 180 Hz stereo. Unfortunately most computer graphics cards and monitors cannot handle these high refresh rates, especially at higher resolutions."

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate )

Last edited by Menneisyys2; Sep 7, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:20 AM   #30
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Nerdly addendum, but to compare computer screens with my TV, help:

I have a 120Hz HDTV and a standard iMac display. So is what I'm reading from you guys that 120Hz=120fps and 60Hz=60fps?
__________________
Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver iPhone 5S 32GB; white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV
Michael CM1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:44 AM   #31
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
Nerdly addendum, but to compare computer screens with my TV, help:

I have a 120Hz HDTV and a standard iMac display. So is what I'm reading from you guys that 120Hz=120fps and 60Hz=60fps?
Yes.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:47 AM   #32
jvpython
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Zealand
Send a message via Skype™ to jvpython
Could someone explain to me the point of playing videos at more than 30fps? It will appear smooth to the human eye at around 25fps anyway...
jvpython is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:54 AM   #33
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvpython View Post
Could someone explain to me the point of playing videos at more than 30fps? It will appear smooth to the human eye at around 25fps anyway...
Most people can definitely tell the diff between 25 / 30 / 60 fps.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:32 AM   #34
cloventt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York (from Christchurch, New Zealand)
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I've noticed that the Apple TV must be technically capable of playing 60fps. When you take a 30fps show and speed it up by hitting forward on the remote, the playback appears to be at 60fps.

The Apple TV doesn't drop frames to speed up the playback. Instead it plays the 30fps at 60fps, meaning it must be capable of 60fps playback, so apple could theoretically enable 60fps playback with a software update.

Food for thought.
__________________
iPad, 32gb, GSM (3rd Gen)
cloventt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:09 AM   #35
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloventt View Post
Not to resurrect an old thread, but I've noticed that the Apple TV must be technically capable of playing 60fps. When you take a 30fps show and speed it up by hitting forward on the remote, the playback appears to be at 60fps.

The Apple TV doesn't drop frames to speed up the playback. Instead it plays the 30fps at 60fps, meaning it must be capable of 60fps playback, so apple could theoretically enable 60fps playback with a software update.

Food for thought.
Nevertheless, it's incapable of decoding a true 60p h.264 stream. Computationally, it's much harder to do than just playing back a 24p/30p stream with double the framerate as the CPU / GPU in the ATV3 is pretty underpowered.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:13 PM   #36
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Isn't this interesting relative to this thread topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
During Monday's WWDC keynote, Apple's senior vice president of Software Engineering, Craig Federighi, mentioned that iOS 7 would add 1,500 new APIs to Apple's SDK, including iBeacons, MFi game controllers, and new multitasking options.

60-fps Video Capture - iOS 7 will allow apps to capture video at up to 60 frames per second.
Why allow it to be shot at 60fps if not played back at 60fps? Maybe we'll see something here at or after the iOS 7 launch?

TV4? Or does the "3" have the horses if the software was evolved? I bet the former.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:18 PM   #37
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Isn't this interesting relative to this thread topic:



Why allow it to be shot at 60fps if not played back at 60fps? Maybe we'll see something here at or after the iOS 7 launch?

TV4? Or does the "3" have the horses if the software was evolved? I bet the former.
I predict an aTV4, maybe beefed up a bit but definitely with "ac" capability, so you can stream all those 4k movies, tv feeds and play those new games using some new controllers developed using the new API's.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; AppleTV 3; iPad 2, 32GB; 2TB Time Capsule (RIP 9/12); AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; AE; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:37 PM   #38
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
There's also that push for 4K at Apple. I find it so hard to dream about that leap given how long Apple stuck with 720p but I guess one should throw that into the mix too. There are consumer 4K TVs available now. There is no mainstream distribution medium for much 4K media now. And while I can imagine thousands of posts of "crashing the internet", "until everyone has sufficient bandwidth", "the chart", "I can't see the difference", etc (all of the same old arguments pro-720p until Apple went with 1080p), I wonder if there could be some play with that too?

TV4: 4K, 60fps, wifi ac, maybe H.265? Wow THAT would be hottt! Jump right over the BD argument of superior video quality and hopefully address the audio side of things too (something better than 1992's Dolby Digital). Hottt!

Can I have an app store too? Sings "Like a good neighbor... State Farm is there"

Now back to probable reality: TV4, thinner & lighter (neither of which matters for a device that pretty much never goes anywhere), wifi ac, another year of hoping the "hobby" gets some dedicated attention.

I think I'll just prefer the bigger dream.

Last edited by HobeSoundDarryl; Jun 12, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:44 PM   #39
mic j
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
There's also that push for 4K at Apple. I find it so hard to dream about that leap given how long Apple stuck with 720p but I guess one should throw that into the mix too. There are consumer 4K TVs available now. There is no mainstream distribution medium for much 4K media now. And while I can imagine thousands of posts of "crashing the internet", "until everyone has sufficient bandwidth", "the chart", "I can't see the difference", etc (all of the same old arguments pro-720p until Apple went with 1080p), I wonder if there could be some play with that too?

TV4: 4K, 60fps, wifi ac, maybe H.265? Wow THAT would be hottt! Jump right over the BD argument of superior video quality and hopefully address the audio side of things too (something better than 1992's Dolby Digital). Hottt!

Can I have an app store too? Sings "Like a good neighbor... State Farm is there"

Now back to probable reality: TV4, thinner & lighter (neither of which matters for a device that pretty much never goes anywhere), wifi ac, another year of hoping the "hobby" gets some dedicated attention.

I think I'll just prefer the bigger dream.
Ok...so maybe I was being a little optimistic.
__________________
17" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz, 8GB RAM; AppleTV 3; iPad 2, 32GB; 2TB Time Capsule (RIP 9/12); AEBS w 1TB Seagate HDD; AE; 65" Mits DLP, Sony STR-DB1070 AVR
mic j is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC