Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:06 PM   #1
WhiteIphone5
Banned

buying broken Macbook Air, is there hope?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBoo...item2c6fcf51e7

seller says
"MacBook air in good physical condition, the screen was cracked and I bought a new screen and changed it myself, but it doesn't seem to work. Don't know if I got a bad screen or what, but I'm done being frustrated with it, I already have a new MacBook air. You can cut it on and the back lit keyboard lights but the screen doesn't. I didn't have a mini display port the first time I listed this item and I think people assumed it doesn't work, well I bought one to show that it does. I have pics of it working, it can be used as is with an external display, you will need a mini display port to hook up a monitor. Like I said I bought a new screen replaced it myself and I think I did something wrong you might be able to reconnect the new display and have a working MacBook air. I didn't bother shipping the display back to China it just wasn't worth it so that's why its still sitting around. I'll ship you the old cracked screen as well, maybe you can take a part from that to get the new display to work. Thanks "

connects to monitor just fine though.

Last edited by WhiteIphone5; Jun 17, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
sonicrobby
macrumors 6502a

What are your intentions with it? fix it? or use an external display?
sonicrobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Hope for what? That it is some fluke that he was unable to fix it himself and you're about to get a working MB Air for cheap? Sure. It already works, as he states and shows, but he can't get the screen to work. It's a gamble but if you're willing to take it then go for it. No one knows for sure what you're in for, no one but the seller maybe.

I think the seller has done all he can do. Do you think you have skills that exceed his?
Old Jun 17, 2013, 03:22 PM   #4
WhiteIphone5
Banned

I intend to fix it, i have replaced screens on various laptops and done some upgrades. But i don't know about this one. If it connects to the external display, and boots up then im guessing the GPU/CPU is OK, not sure what could cause even the replacement screen to not work. If the intergrated graphics was bad wouldn't it not display it on another screen?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicrobby View Post
What are your intentions with it? fix it? or use an external display?
fix.
WhiteIphone5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:04 PM   #5
newdeal
macrumors 68000

sounds like either his new screen was DOA or more likely he didn't install it correctly and the cable is either loose or detached inside. I would buy it if it cost less than a used mac mini ($300 maybe)

----------

just saw it is at 280 already and reserve isn't met with a buy it now of $500...for that price for an 11" its a PASS for sure, not worth it at all a refurb 2012 model is like $750 I think and it works
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:50 PM   #6
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal
just saw it is at 280 already and reserve isn't met with a buy it now of $500...for that price for an 11" its a PASS for sure, not worth it at all a refurb 2012 model is like $750 I think and it works
And the refurbished comes with a full 1 year warranty and you can add AppleCare if you wish.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:30 PM   #7
gnasher729
macrumors G5

If you want a cheap Mac Mini, go ahead and buy it. A MacBook with broken screen, with the lid closed, is just a slightly flatter and wider Mac Mini.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air