Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:41 PM   #26
cledet
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The one drawback to using SuperDuper! is that it will not clone the recovery partition, whereas CCC will.
Wow, I didn't even realize that. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:26 PM   #27
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
No, that's not the problem. It's just not a weekly backup like it says, it saves hourly backups and then slows down and eventually saves a week worth. Don't like that.

I rather have it just update once a week and stay that way. Oh sure it's handy, but it sounds like it slows your system down.
I think the explanation was not quite right.

Time Machine takes backups every hour. So after a day, you have 24 backups. As these backups get older, it keeps one and throws away the other 23 hourly backups. After a month you have 24 hourly backups of the last 24 hours, plus 30 daily backups. As the daily backups become older than 30 days, Time Machine throws away six out of every seven weekly backups.

So you always have: Hourly backups of the last 24 hours. Daily backups of the last 30 days. Weekly backups as long as your hard drive space lasts.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:42 PM   #28
Ddyracer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
I think the explanation was not quite right.

Time Machine takes backups every hour. So after a day, you have 24 backups. As these backups get older, it keeps one and throws away the other 23 hourly backups. After a month you have 24 hourly backups of the last 24 hours, plus 30 daily backups. As the daily backups become older than 30 days, Time Machine throws away six out of every seven weekly backups.

So you always have: Hourly backups of the last 24 hours. Daily backups of the last 30 days. Weekly backups as long as your hard drive space lasts.
All good but i don't want an automatic backup. Once a week, then get out of my sight. Spotlight is indexing often enough i don't want more crap like that you know.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store