Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:17 PM   #51
mfram
macrumors 6502a

I recently upgraded the sound system for my computer system with the Focal Little Bird 2.1 Pack. They are pricey, but have wonderful mid- and high-range reproduction. The bass isn't out of this world, but sounds very clean for music.

I wanted something where the primary speakers weren't very large but still had nice sound. This system definitely fits the bill. The backend amp contains a couple analog inputs, digital, and (proprietary) wireless inputs. That amp is where the subwoofer is located. I put it on the edge of my desk behind the monitor and plugged my PC in via digital input.

The 2.1 system is designed with music in mind and has no provision for surround sound. Even these smallest speakers could fill a medium sized room with sound. The Focal name probably adds some to the price, but the sound is definitely worth it.

I ordered mine from Crutchfield and got free Focal headphones out of the deal!
mfram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:50 AM   #52
JTMusicVA
macrumors newbie

VERY GOOD, though on the cheaper end.....

... are the Prodipe POD3 powered desktop speakers. (<$200) You can sit your iPod in the top, or connect RCA and 1/8' stereo cables....
Has a subwoofer output, if needed, but these things DO put out some pretty decent bass themselves.
Comes with a nice full-control remote.
***One thing you must do with these affordable speakers is bring up the treble control a few notches. Otherwise, the treble in these is a little subdued, just bring it up in the remote and the silk-dome tweeters will breathe some nice air...
JTMusicVA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:25 AM   #53
Marty62
macrumors 6502

My little desktop "portable" system is a pair of Bose computer music monitors
like these :
http://www.amazon.de/Bose-Computer-M...dp_ob_title_ce

Quite small but have a big sound, acceptable for working out of the studio.

I wouldn't "mix" on 'em though !

M.
Marty62 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:36 PM   #54
JTMusicVA
macrumors newbie

I had recommended the Prodipe POD3 as a quite affordable "audiophile" desktop speaker....
Reading through this thread, I saw some recommendations for the AudioEngine A2. I also own these A2 speakers, and I'm not all that impressed with the sound, and the POD3 blows it out of the water, take my word for it. Plus, the POD3 gives all kinds of options whereas the A2 doesn't give you anything more than 2 inputs and a volume control....
If you're seriously considering the A2, move to the Prodipe POD3 instead - I promise you'll be happier.....
JTMusicVA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:23 PM   #55
Tribbs
macrumors newbie

Don't overlook DIY speaker kits. You can "assemble" a kit for a fraction of the cost of some high-end boutique factory speakers.

There are really only a few high-end speaker driver manufacturers in the world and those drivers are employed in some surprisingly uber priced exotic wood speaker cabinets.

My friends and I have been blown away by a couple of DIY speaker kits I "assembled" for myself as main speakers. For smaller computer speakers consider these for example:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-cabinet-each/
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...aker-kit-pair/
Tribbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio