Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:21 PM   #1
KapitanIksrog
macrumors regular

iPhone 5 - Verizon Signal Conundrum

I finally got my hands on an iPhone 5 earlier this week. I've had each iteration of the iPhone so far. Overall it is beyond phenomenal.

One of the things I looked forward to the most was LTE as my office locks down WIFI. Unfortunately this is causing me a problem at home I think. With my 4S, I had 2-3 bars pretty consistently at home. Data was subpar unless it was propped in a window (only did this when power was out -- no WIFI scenarios). Field test mode shows consistent readings between -90 and -101.

The iPhone 5 is showing 1 bar and a field test of around -117. If I turn off 4G it shows results similar to the 4S.

I am trying to figure out when the iPhone 5 will switch from 4G to 3G. I am surprised to see it hold a signal at -117 when 3G would be -90. The chief reason I am asking this is that the attempt to hold the 4G signal seems to be draining the battery MUCH faster. I am at 5 Hrs Usage and 23Hrs Standby and have 63% remaining. I shut off 4G when I got home and charged. Previously I was getting 4-5 Hrs usage and 24 Hrs standby with 4G enabled before hitting the 10% warning.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:49 PM   #2
sundog925
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapitanIksrog View Post
I finally got my hands on an iPhone 5 earlier this week. I've had each iteration of the iPhone so far. Overall it is beyond phenomenal.

One of the things I looked forward to the most was LTE as my office locks down WIFI. Unfortunately this is causing me a problem at home I think. With my 4S, I had 2-3 bars pretty consistently at home. Data was subpar unless it was propped in a window (only did this when power was out -- no WIFI scenarios). Field test mode shows consistent readings between -90 and -101.

The iPhone 5 is showing 1 bar and a field test of around -117. If I turn off 4G it shows results similar to the 4S.

I am trying to figure out when the iPhone 5 will switch from 4G to 3G. I am surprised to see it hold a signal at -117 when 3G would be -90. The chief reason I am asking this is that the attempt to hold the 4G signal seems to be draining the battery MUCH faster. I am at 5 Hrs Usage and 23Hrs Standby and have 63% remaining. I shut off 4G when I got home and charged. Previously I was getting 4-5 Hrs usage and 24 Hrs standby with 4G enabled before hitting the 10% warning.
Ok 3G and 4G LTE run off different transmitters and frequencies. Of course the signal will be different on each radio. You just said when LTE is off, it shows results like your 4S, same 3G antenna in both phones. Unless Verizon puts up more 4G towers, your just gonna have to deal with it.
sundog925 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone