Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Fed
macrumors 6502

iPad 4 with Cellular?

I bought the 64GB iPad 4 with Wifi a few days ago. I absolutely love it and using it constantly. I'm thinking of returning it for the 32GB iPad 4 with Cellular instead as I'm currently running it nicely with a good selection of content at 25GB.

Quick question before I go to John Lewis right now... how does the battery life compare? Will I have to constantly disable cellular/wifi to get better battery (cellular, specifically)? Is it noticeably heavier? Is it FULL 4G now?

Last edited by Fed; Jan 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2
BarryL
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I bought the 64GB iPad 4 with Wifi a few days ago. I absolutely love it and using it constantly. I'm thinking of returning it for the 32GB iPad 4 with Cellular instead as I'm currently running it nicely with a good selection of content at 25GB.

Quick question before I go to John Lewis right now... how does the battery life compare? Will I have to constantly disable cellular/wifi to get better battery (cellular, specifically)? Is it noticeably heavier? Is it FULL 4G now?
Weight is the same. Battery life is about the same.

Full 4G? Not sure what you mean by that...

In the US we have 3 carriers with 4G LTE to choose from. Which sucks because in the US our devices are more or less locked to a carrier.

In the UK I believe they're still building out their LTE towers, last I heard EE had the best coverage.. But I could be wrong. LTE is the real deal if iu have coverage.
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Fed
macrumors 6502

Thanks for that just swapped it

When a message is sent in Messages app. On my iPhone, if there wasn't enough signal, I could default to a normal text rather than iMessage. Can this be done with the iPad and more specifically can it receive text messages?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 08:23 AM   #4
nightlong
macrumors 6502

Considerations regarding 32 or 64: as more apps are upgraded to or are built for retina they'll get bigger, and you might find many more uses for your iPad as you discover great apps.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thanks for that just swapped it

When a message is sent in Messages app. On my iPhone, if there wasn't enough signal, I could default to a normal text rather than iMessage. Can this be done with the iPad and more specifically can it receive text messages?
Nope. You only have data on your tablet. Not voice (phone) and sms (text messaging). You have to use apps to get around those.
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Fed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
Nope. You only have data on your tablet. Not voice (phone) and sms (text messaging). You have to use apps to get around those.

Which apps could I use to direct SMS sent to the SIM card number in my iPad to the iPad?
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:17 PM   #7
djransom
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Which apps could I use to direct SMS sent to the SIM card number in my iPad to the iPad?
Google Voice may be an option.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:37 AM   #8
Fed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by djransom View Post
Google Voice may be an option.
Isn't available in the UK unfortunately!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad