Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
If your on wifi, you might want to try streaming your movies direct from iTunes. If your movies were added from a digital copy it'll show up in your Purchases section, and there is no need to download them to your iPad, unless your going to be away from wifi.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
If your on wifi, you might want to try streaming your movies direct from iTunes. If your movies were added from a digital copy it'll show up in your Purchases section, and there is no need to download them to your iPad, unless your going to be away from wifi.

I just tested this and you have to download it before you can play it. There's only a cloud icon which downloads the movie, not a play icon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 85

emjaycee18

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
I just tested this and you have to download it before you can play it. There's only a cloud icon which downloads the movie, not a play icon.

My mistake in what I said. If you enable home sharing, and you're on the same network as your computer, you'll be able to stream without downloading it to your iPad.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Once you've watched the movie are you leaving it on your iPad and why? All I do is download the film to the iPad and after watching it delete it from the iPad. If it is a movie I purchased I can re-download it later or do a transfer from iTunes via my Mac and the external drive I store iTunes material on. I see no reason to keep a movie on my iPad after watching it, unless I plan on watching it again in the very near future.

When I go out of town, I will download a few movies to my iPad, watch them on the plane or whatever and then afterwards replace them with something different or just delete them. When I have a good wi-fi connection i just stram the film from Netflix.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
My mistake in what I said. If you enable home sharing, and you're on the same network as your computer, you'll be able to stream without downloading it to your iPad.

Yes, but that's only while at home. If you're on out and about, you need to store it locally or on a Wi-Fi enabled HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.