Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
I have been using these Macbook's since around 2007, 15", 17", all "top of the line" in their days. So when the retina came out, how could I resist? It's everything I've ever wanted in a notebook. I never used the optical drive, the SSD has always been something I wanted to put into my previous Macbook's so when the rMBP came out, this was my machine for school/work/leisure.

Previous 15" let me down in it's resolution, 17" I purchased because I loved the 1,920 × 1,200 resolution. I was always in a tough place for my personal computing needs. The 17" weight bothered me, but I used it as a desktop replacement. 15" was more towards the "perfect weight" in it's day. Then you read on and analyze the "Retina Macbook Pro's amazing specs" and instantly, it all becomes so clear.

• Retina 2880x1800
• 512GB SSD (WHAT? 512GB and the super fast write speeds, super fast boot, Windows boots within 1-2 seconds of OS X on the rMBP, yes Windows 7 loads in a blink of an eye. Not to mention the stunning clarity.)
• 650M with 1GB of GDDR5, hold on... discrete 4000 as well? Sold.
• 7 hour battery life? WHAT? I got 2-3 hours MAX on my 17" and 15".
• I opted for the top of the base line (top of the line so to speak, available in store without BTO).
• Quad-core i7? I absolutely despised the C2D architecture.
• USB 3.0, Lighting, HDMI, and SDXC? What more can I say.
• 802.11n.. Impressive and a deal breaker in terms of utilizing 50mbps. The outdated white iMac C2D in my home can not achieve those speeds sans-802.11n. Not to mention my university offers 100mbps, so :)
• Stereo speakers unparalleled to any notebook I have heard. And at my university, I've heard and compared quite a few different notebooks.
• I could go on and on and on and on. And on. But unless you truly realize the engineering of this notebook (Distribution of air thought vents, discrete usage of the 4000 while having the dGPU available at all times, refit power button onto keyboard, "antiglare", weight, battery, etc. ), you will underestimate it's phenomenal package.

Most importantly, for me at least, is the comparison between my buddy's 15" Macbook Pro side by side to the rMBP, the reduction in glare is amazing. That is something I rarely, if ever see pointed out between the last generation and rMBP.

I know the post sounds like a complete advert but truly, I stand by every word I say and it's proved to be very versatile and a true feat of fine engineering by Apple. I think the display chimes in a lot because ever since the iPhone 4 included an IPS display at launch, I had always thought about that technology applied on a notebook and low and behold.

Oh, and $2599 before tax, and less than $2799 after tax with a student discount? I paid over $3000 for my 17".

Last edited:

adjeff8

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
If you can wait 5 months, then my suggestion would be to wait. We all know Haswell is coming, and it will bring better battery life, better GPU performance, and slightly better CPU performance. For all we know, Apple will introduce a lower priced model or bump up the storage on the base 13", particularly if they decide to drop the cMBP.

My guess is that the 15" cMBP will be dropped in 2013, but that the 13" cMBP will stick around another year, perhaps limited to certain markets like the white MacBook. The 13" cMBP is still Apple's best seller, more than 2 years after the Air went mainstream, so unless Apple is planning to release an $1199 or $1299 version of the rMBP, we may well see the 13" cMBP continue to be available.

We're connected at the brain. Thats exactly what im expecting out of Haswell. And what about the new Wifi technology that I mentioned? Of course I will max out the Ram, and that's the end of the "Not able to upgrade" discussion. And as mentioned, it would be nice to have a bigger SSD. But if they don't do that then the SSD is upgradable, so I can deal with that at a later date

----------

I have been using these Macbook's since around 2007, 15", 17", all "top of the line" in their days. So when the retina came out, how could I resist? It's everything I've ever wanted in a notebook. I never used the optical drive, the SSD has always been something I wanted to put into my previous Macbook's so when the rMBP came out, this was my machine for school/work/leisure.

Previous 15" let me down in it's resolution, 17" I purchased because I loved the 1,920 × 1,200 resolution. I was always in a tough place for my personal computing needs. The 17" weight bothered me, but I used it as a desktop replacement. 15" was more towards the "perfect weight" in it's day. Then you read on and analyze the "Retina Macbook Pro's amazing specs" and instantly, it all becomes so clear.

• Retina 2880x1800
• 512GB SSD (WHAT? 512GB and the super fast write speeds, super fast boot, Windows boots within 1-2 seconds of OS X on the rMBP, yes Windows 7 loads in a blink of an eye. Not to mention the stunning clarity.)
• 650M with 1GB of GDDR5, hold on... discrete 4000 as well? Sold.
• 7 hour battery life? WHAT? I got 2-3 hours MAX on my 17" and 15".
• I opted for the top of the base line (top of the line so to speak, available in store without BTO).
• Quad-core i7? I absolutely despised the C2D architecture.
• USB 3.0, Lighting, HDMI, and SDXC? What more can I say.
• 802.11n.. Impressive and a deal breaker in terms of utilizing 50mbps. The outdated white iMac C2D in my home can not achieve those speeds sans-802.11n. Not to mention my university offers 100mbps, so :)
• Stereo speakers unparalleled to any notebook I have heard. And at my university, I've heard and compared quite a few different notebooks.
• I could go on and on and on and on. And on. But unless you truly realize the engineering of this notebook (Distribution of air thought vents, discrete usage of the 4000 while having the dGPU available at all times, refit power button onto keyboard, "antiglare", weight, battery, etc. ), you will underestimate it's phenomenal package.

Most importantly, for me at least, is the comparison between my buddy's 15" Macbook Pro side by side to the rMBP, the reduction in glare is amazing. That is something I rarely, if ever see pointed out between the last generation and rMBP.

I know the post sounds like a complete advert but truly, I stand by every word I say and it's proved to be very versatile and a true feat of fine engineering by Apple. I think the display chimes in a lot because ever since the iPhone 4 included an IPS display at launch, I had always thought about that technology applied on a notebook and low and behold.

Oh, and $2599 before tax, and less than $2799 after tax with a student discount? I paid over $3000 for my 17".

You are so right about the speakers. I was in the store the other day and I put the cMBP side by side with the rMBP and played identical YouTube videos. (Stones Gimmie Shelter) OMG-The sound was louder than the Stones themselves in concert. People were telling me to turn it down. I wasn't expecting that and it blew me away

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.