Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:52 AM   #1
GlynJones
macrumors 6502

Water damaged iPhone. Out of warrenty replacement keep applecare?

Hi,
My wife's iPhone 4s has had the headphone water sensor triggered. As she works in a kitchen it is suspected that this may have been damaged by steam.

The phone works fine except every now and then it decides to reboot itself so I'm looking at using the out of warranty replacement scheme.

The iPhone still has extended warranty until December. Will the warranty be transferred to the replacement or will I only get the standard 3 months warranty?

Thanks in advance for any replied received.
GlynJones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:51 AM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Which country is this in?

If it's the US, then a 4S should have AppleCare+, meaning you have two "out of warranty" damage replacements for $50. AppleCare+ will continue on your replacement phone, and you'll have regular warranty plus one remaining out of warranty $50 replacement left until December.

Outside of the US, I have no idea.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 AM   #3
GlynJones
macrumors 6502

I'm in the UK so we don't have AppleCare+.

I'm ok with paying the OOW fee just I would like the warranty to be transferred.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:22 AM   #4
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynJones View Post
I'm in the UK so we don't have AppleCare+.

I'm ok with paying the OOW fee just I would like the warranty to be transferred.
Why would it transfer when its voided?
617aircav is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

When you trigger the water sensor you have voided the original warranty.
The replacement is covered for 90 days.
Givmeabrek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:12 PM   #6
dave420
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givmeabrek View Post
When you trigger the water sensor you have voided the original warranty.
The replacement is covered for 90 days.
Not sure about that according to this page you get the entire warranty of the original phone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not your iPhone is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. iPhones that are repaired or replaced have a 90-day limited hardware warranty or assume the remainder of your standard warranty or AppleCare service contract coverage, whichever is longer.
dave420 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:40 PM   #7
abz1981
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi,
My wife's iPhone 4s has had the headphone water sensor triggered. As she works in a kitchen it is suspected that this may have been damaged by steam.

The phone works fine except every now and then it decides to reboot itself so I'm looking at using the out of warranty replacement scheme.

The iPhone still has extended warranty until December. Will the warranty be transferred to the replacement or will I only get the standard 3 months warranty?

146.44 is the cost of a replacement. you make an appointment with an apple genius at:

www.apple.com/uk/retail

Visit the genius bar, explain the problem and they will offer to exchange your handset for a remanufactured iphone 4s at a cost of: 146.44
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Why would it transfer when its voided?
Finally some common sense in this thread.
The iphone is out of warranty cause of tripped moist sensors but somehow the OP wants the replacement to keep the warranty from the previous out of warranty iphone.
Lol alrighty then
Applejuiced is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:24 PM   #9
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Finally some common sense in this thread.
The iphone is out of warranty cause of tripped moist sensors but somehow the OP wants the replacement to keep the warranty from the previous out of warranty iphone.
Lol alrighty then
Exactly. Voided means the warranty no longer exists.
617aircav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:46 PM   #10
mattyb240
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hi,

Ignore the people here. If the original has extended e.g. more than 90 days that will get transferred to the replacement as above in the terms of conditions of the handset. I don't even know where that 146.44 figure is from its 139.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Cergman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 617aircav View Post
Exactly. Voided means the warranty no longer exists.
My wife dropped her iPhone 4S in the sink, and it had extended warranty (not AppleCare +). We went to the Apple store, paid the $200 OOW replacement, and got a new phone. The genius transferred the old warranty to the new phone without us even asking.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:31 AM   #12
GlynJones
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies.

It was not a stupid question as some made it out to be. The phone has 9 month AppleCare on it and just wanted to know if Apple replace the phone via OOW then will the warranty be transferred or not otherwise I would have claimed back the unused warranty.

Thanks.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone