Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:53 PM   #51
stchman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunlap View Post
Haha, Windows OS is garbage. Yes, it's functional but it is in fact garbage and very unstable. I don't remember the last time I had to reformat any of my Macs in 10 years, and yet Windows has so many problems I have to do it twice a year to my Windows PCs.

Also I'm a computer tech so I speak from experience.
Really, I've been using Windows for years as well and do not have to perform a 2X yearly re-install. My last Windows machine I got ~2 years out of a Vista install, yes I said Vista. I have been building and configuring PCs for well over 10 years, so I speak from experience as well.

You must surf some uber spyware/virus ridden pr0n.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
And of course, your experience is universal.

I'm happy with OSX, but I am also secure enough in that decision that I do not have to childishly denigrate other people's decision by calling it garbage.
I invented the Internet. Just because I said so makes it true!!!
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 04:55 PM   #52
TC25
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunlap View Post
You don't even need to spend $450 nowadays to get a more than capable Windows laptop. Great hardware, bad OS. That's all I'm saying.
Everyone understood your point....and we aren't even computer techs.
TC25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:27 PM   #53
rdunlap
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25 View Post
And of course, your experience is universal.

I'm happy with OSX, but I am also secure enough in that decision that I do not have to childishly denigrate other people's decision by calling it garbage.
I'm not denigrating his decision. Just speaking the truth from working on these machines daily. Go kick rocks ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stchman View Post
Really, I've been using Windows for years as well and do not have to perform a 2X yearly re-install. My last Windows machine I got ~2 years out of a Vista install, yes I said Vista. I have been building and configuring PCs for well over 10 years, so I speak from experience as well.

You must surf some uber spyware/virus ridden pr0n.

----------



I invented the Internet. Just because I said so makes it true!!!
You just must be used to a slow computer

... and you're probably a horrible computer technician, especially if you chose to use Vista on a day to day basis. Worst operating system since ME.
rdunlap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:07 PM   #54
stchman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunlap View Post
I'm not denigrating his decision. Just speaking the truth from working on these machines daily. Go kick rocks ...

----------





You just must be used to a slow computer

... and you're probably a horrible computer technician, especially if you chose to use Vista on a day to day basis. Worst operating system since ME.
Daily working on Windows machines?? I'm sure you're "working" is a very subjective term.

WTF is kick rocks? Are you 13?

My Windows machines are really fast.

Vista was my last Windows install, I use Windows 7 on my new Windows machines.

You ARE a really lousy computer technician if your Windows installs require 6 month re-installs.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:05 PM   #55
kulimer
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
You really meant to post this in a Dell forum, right?
kulimer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:13 PM   #56
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Also, these past few years Apple has gone down a certain path that not everyone likes (Want an upgradeable machine? Want a replaceable battery? Non-glossy screen? Too bad.) If I was to buy a new laptop today, I'd be very torn between a Windows 8 ultrabook or a MacBook Air.
Good luck upgrading your ultra-book. 9/10 of the ones we sell at work (best buy) are just as unserviceable as a macbook air.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:26 AM   #57
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Good luck upgrading your ultra-book. 9/10 of the ones we sell at work (best buy) are just as unserviceable as a macbook air.
True. I'm eyeing a couple of models in particular, the Lenovo Yoga 13 or Dell XPS 12, both of which offer user upgradable SSD, but not sure about RAM.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:38 PM   #58
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
True. I'm eyeing a couple of models in particular, the Lenovo Yoga 13 or Dell XPS 12, both of which offer user upgradable SSD, but not sure about RAM.
Most of them are soldered in. The thing I HATE about the PC makers is they get their bases all riled up about features that apple's newest device doesn't have..then 3 years later right on queue they are racing to emulate those same features, rather than innovate and overcome the limitations of said features.

I like ultrabooks, I really do. But there is no reason that they couldn't come up with a mechanism to allow RAM upgrades (Intel should have mandated this for the ultrabook moniker as they did with wireless displays and touchscreen ability). Rather than catering to their own enthusiasts they play "me too" with apple while adopting the bad for consumer decisions that Apple has made.

The difference to me is that for whatever reason (I know most components are the same) even though Apple's hardware gets older, it seems to just soldier on. Which is why if I wanted an ultra book, I'd go with a MBA over the nice Asus I've had my eyes on. Somehow Apple's stuff just lasts longer even once it's outdated, and I can recycle down through my family and know that the computer will give few (if any issues) until it finally does crap out (my dads (was my aunt's) powerbook g4 finally crapped out due to the well known Nvidia graphics issue EIGHT years after originally purchased).

Macs tend to last (though are still definitely vulnerable if a Mobo issue crops up), my PC's tend to be hit or miss. I had an Asus crap out after two years, while a pair of really cheap 2006 Toshiba's are still soldering on (after small replacements such as HDDs & RAM). The macs? I've only ever upgraded the RAM and HDD, for performance and storage, never because of an issue.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:45 PM   #59
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
I'd recommend getting a nice Ultrabook from Asus or Dell for that price. Heck, I'm in college and barely use a computer. I am delegating almost all my needs to my ipad.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:50 PM   #60
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
The difference to me is that for whatever reason (I know most components are the same) even though Apple's hardware gets older, it seems to just soldier on.
[ ... ]

The macs? I've only ever upgraded the RAM and HDD, for performance and storage, never because of an issue.
You raise a good point! My current MacBook Pro at home is from 2007. That's 6 years old! And it still runs perfectly fine -- although I did upgrade the RAM and hard drive. It is starting to show signs of failing -- some of the little rubber feet have fallen off and the optical drive occasionally doesn't read discs (flaky connector?) but other than this, it shows no signs of physical failure, and it's still fast enough for my day to day use that I haven't felt the need to buy a faster machine.

The Mac I had before that was the 12" PowerBook G4 (which was kind of the MacBook Air of the early 2000's -- very portable, great little machine), and I used that as my daily driver for 5 years too. The only reason I gave up and sold that machine was Apple's switch to intel processors. I was starting to feel left out, software wise, and decided to ditch the G4.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:55 PM   #61
NT1440
macrumors G3
 
NT1440's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hartford, CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
You raise a good point! My current MacBook Pro at home is from 2007. That's 6 years old! And it still runs perfectly fine -- although I did upgrade the RAM and hard drive. It is starting to show signs of failing -- some of the little rubber feet have fallen off and the optical drive occasionally doesn't read discs (flaky connector?) but other than this, it shows no signs of physical failure, and it's still fast enough for my day to day use that I haven't felt the need to buy a faster machine.

The Mac I had before that was the 12" PowerBook G4 (which was kind of the MacBook Air of the early 2000's -- very portable, great little machine), and I used that as my daily driver for 5 years too. The only reason I gave up and sold that machine was Apple's switch to intel processors. I was starting to feel left out, software wise, and decided to ditch the G4.
It seems that those who don't "need" the latest and greatest are only forced to turn over their macs once a major change in the field occurs. Others seem to buy a new laptop every few years and are furious that their $400 computer crapped out after "only 3 years". I deal with these customers every single day at the Geek Squad. It really amazes me that people think that because we've gotten to the point where a cheapo computer can be sold for $289, that it's going to last as long as an $800+ machine with a real engineered body (not injected molded crap whose keyboard literally flexes an entire half inch from normal typing).

American's have no problem buying expensive cars because they think it will last, why in the hell has that not translated to computers? Is it the technology development cycle? Is it really important to upgrade your word processing/email reading machine simply because the new processors are 15% faster and the GPU is twice as powerful....when you don't use any of those features?

Well, now that I'm all riled up on the pitiful state of American technology consumers....it's time to go to work and deal with them.
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:58 PM   #62
ermoore
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Cool

For $450 I would buy a 2Ghz Core2Duo White macbook and a new battery from ebay. The Core2Duo's are upgradeable to 4GB of ram, and some of them online aleady have that installed.

You can buy the Macbook for $350 and the New Battery for $50. That even leaves room for a HDD or RAM upgrade if need-be. There is no reason to get an Air if your budget is $450.

Bump that budget up to $650 and then you might have a chance.

And to whomever said putting 90K in your savings account would have been smarter move than putting 90K down on your home... That is a very ridiculous statement. For one, most savings interest rates don't even keep up with inflation, so you're losing money every day it sits in there. Investing in the stock market would be ideal, but that is also a GAMBLE. There's no Gamble in paying off your DEBT.
__________________
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB HDD
iPhone 4 Jailbroken
iPad Jailbroken
ermoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:11 PM   #63
stchman
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Send a message via AIM to stchman Send a message via Yahoo to stchman Send a message via Skype™ to stchman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermoore View Post
For $450 I would buy a 2Ghz Core2Duo White macbook and a new battery from ebay. The Core2Duo's are upgradeable to 4GB of ram, and some of them online aleady have that installed.

You can buy the Macbook for $350 and the New Battery for $50. That even leaves room for a HDD or RAM upgrade if need-be. There is no reason to get an Air if your budget is $450.

Bump that budget up to $650 and then you might have a chance.

And to whomever said putting 90K in your savings account would have been smarter move than putting 90K down on your home... That is a very ridiculous statement. For one, most savings interest rates don't even keep up with inflation, so you're losing money every day it sits in there. Investing in the stock market would be ideal, but that is also a GAMBLE. There's no Gamble in paying off your DEBT.
If I'm going to spend $650 on an old C2D Macbook, I'll get the $900 refurbished base 13" MBA for $900.
stchman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:20 AM   #64
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermoore View Post

And to whomever said putting 90K in your savings account would have been smarter move than putting 90K down on your home... That is a very ridiculous statement. For one, most savings interest rates don't even keep up with inflation, so you're losing money every day it sits in there. Investing in the stock market would be ideal, but that is also a GAMBLE. There's no Gamble in paying off your DEBT.
i agree - except i don't like it when people refer to investments as gambling.
obviously some people can treat investments as gambles, but it's not the same thing.

Gambling is a zero-sum game, an investment isn't. In order for someone to win at poker, for example, somebody else has to lose. That is not the case with investing.

If i sell you my house for $200,000 then i have gained $200,000 but you have gained a house. We can both gain from that investment. Obviously either one or both of us can lose as well - but just because something has a risk doesn't necessarily mean it's a gamble in that sense.

I know that this is splitting hairs - but i think the distinction is important. especially in a discussion like this :-)
DisplacedMic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:59 AM   #65
xj8954
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Save a little bit more

I agree that you should just save a little bit more.
Just get a refurbish from Apple, the cheapest MBA 11 inch is like 850, and you get the one-year warranty.
Refurbish is as good as new, don't let the word trick your mind.

And I really don't recommend buying a cheap MBA on eBay, you will most likely regret it.
xj8954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
11" 1.6 Core2Duo Macbook Air for $450? RubberShoes MacBook Air 14 Apr 26, 2014 11:46 PM
ready to buy Macbook Pro with $2199 budget, help! umbilical MacBook Pro 25 Nov 4, 2013 05:30 PM
Best budget monitor for 2012 MacBook Air Broseidon MacBook Air 18 Jul 13, 2012 12:32 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC