Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:12 AM   #1
tob866622
macrumors member

MKV files for iPad 4

I recently bought a new iPad 4th generation and I thought GoodPlayer was the ideal player for playing mkv files. But when I transferred some video in mkv format some worked really well with audio but most movies with mkv file format had no audio but just the picture. Is there any reason why it doesn't work and if there is, is there anyway I could play it?
tob866622 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:28 AM   #2
aquaboy
macrumors regular

This is probably a Dolby digital or DTS License issue. Try 8player app, although they have a Similar situation. If your still stuck, use Handbrake to re-encode the video files, it's free!
aquaboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

What did you use for the rip? Handbrake and VLC are what many here use, and I recommend it...Only a handful of titles have such DRM issues, and I think it's worth trying the iPad pre-set in handbrake and try another rip.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaboy View Post
This is probably a Dolby digital or DTS License issue. Try 8player app, although they have a Similar situation.
While 8player does support AC3, its H.264 decoder isn't the best. That is, it shouldn't be used for watching hi-res MKV files. (Low-res ones do fine.)

(More info on 8player and activating its AC3 support: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1500211 )

Quote:
If your still stuck, use Handbrake to re-encode the video files, it's free!
An entire reencode is definitely NOT recommended in this case. Use MKVTools to quickly(!!!!) convert the AC3 track to AAC. Here's a full tutorial on it (written by me): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16357138 (I provide a link only as it's a long tutorial).

Last edited by Menneisyys2; Dec 8, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
This is probably a Dolby digital or DTS License issue.
Surely not DTS. It's only Dolby that forces every dev to drop Dolby (AC-3 etc.) support. It has nothing to do with DTS support. (Most apps support DTS.)
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:09 AM   #6
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
While 8player does support AC3, its H.264 decoder isn't the best. That is, it shouldn't be used for watching hi-res MKV files. (Low-res ones do fine.)

(More info on 8player and activating its AC3 support: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1500211 )

An entire reencode is definitely NOT recommended in this case. Use MKVTools to quickly(!!!!) convert the AC3 track to AAC. Here's a full tutorial on it (written by me): http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16357138 (I provide a link only as it's a long tutorial).
Why isn't an entire reencode not recommended? MP4Tools (MKVTools sister app) keeps the original MKV file on your computer when you encode an MP4 version for iPad.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Why isn't an entire reencode not recommended? MP4Tools (MKVTools sister app) keeps the original MKV file on your computer when you encode an MP4 version for iPad.
I referred to re-encoding with HandBrake, which will always recompress the video stream too, meaning hours of conversion time and decreased quality.

With MP4Tools, you can just convert either the container (MP4Tools: MKV -> MP4) and with MKVTools, you can just add an AAC audio track to the same MKV. (MP4Tools can also do the same with MP4 files. I've also published a tutorial on the latter.) They're orders of magnitude faster than Handbrake's full reencoding.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8
tob866622
macrumors member

Quote:

I tired ur tutorial but the problem is when I play with on my ipad it works great except the duration of the video doesn't seems to be working is says 0:00 and when I pause it just starts all over again
tob866622 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob866622 View Post
I tired ur tutorial but the problem is when I play with on my ipad it works great except the duration of the video doesn't seems to be working is says 0:00 and when I pause it just starts all over again
1. Which player? GoodPlayer?

2. Is the video MKV you've tried to convert available online so that I too can give it a test ride?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:50 PM   #10
midwestfisherma
macrumors 6502

I've been using MakeMKV to rip and Handbrake to encode. That's working well on my ipad and apple TV.
midwestfisherma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:04 AM   #11
spring
macrumors regular

So if I'm able to convert the ac3 audio to another format, what is the best video player on the retina iPad? I currently still use VLC, a remnant from my iPad 2, but after a video is done and I try to switch to another video, the app crashes.
spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:02 AM   #12
aquaboy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Surely not DTS. It's only Dolby that forces every dev to drop Dolby (AC-3 etc.) support. It has nothing to do with DTS support. (Most apps support DTS.)
ATV doesn't support DTS, only Dolby.
A lot of LG TVs don't support DTS because they are too tight to pay for the licensing. I'm guessing that's the same reason for 8player. But it's just a guess.
aquaboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Menneisyys2
macrumors 603

Quote:
ATV doesn't support DTS, only Dolby.
A lot of LG TVs don't support DTS because they are too tight to pay for the licensing. I'm guessing that's the same reason for 8player. But it's just a guess.
I referred to Dolby's forcing devs to remove AC-3 support (and making Apple remove apps from the AppStore whose devs don't obey), not the DTS, Inc. folks. The latter (still) haven't done anything against the iOS devs.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps