Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
I did not know about the general snappy safari semi-policy. As such I thought the moderator's post was a bit abrupt and heavy handed. Given that a series of posts followed regarding the moderator's post it seemed others were similarly unaware.

Don't get me wrong I think that removing the crap is a GREAT idea, I'd just seen so much crap and meanness on the boards that I did not think that was a policy.

I think it would be good to have a FAQ that the moderator can link to. I think it should be specific even o the point of saying "Comments like: ...<list> are deemed to be superfluous and will be removed". I'd prefer that to the more general policy that I'm sure exists on extraneous posts. That's a bit too nebulous during the heat of a discussion. It also tells the user that individual issue has been discussed and agreed upon. The moderator just needed a place to push the uninformed to both get more info and react. Maybe even a link to this thread.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I did not know about the general snappy safari semi-policy. As such I thought the moderator's post was a bit abrupt and heavy handed. Given that a series of posts followed regarding the moderator's post it seemed others were similarly unaware.

Don't get me wrong I think that removing the crap is a GREAT idea, I'd just seen so much crap and meanness on the boards that I did not think that was a policy.

I think it would be good to have a FAQ that the moderator can link to. I think it should be specific even o the point of saying "Comments like: ...<list> are deemed to be superfluous and will be removed". I'd prefer that to the more general policy that I'm sure exists on extraneous posts. That's a bit too nebulous during the heat of a discussion. It also tells the user that individual issue has been discussed and agreed upon. The moderator just needed a place to push the uninformed to both get more info and react. Maybe even a link to this thread.

There is an FAQ, linked to from the Forum Rules that everyone agrees to read and accept as part of the registration agreement. There're also Rules for Appropriate Debate, also linked to from the rules.

I do get what you're saying. There are quite a few examples in the various rules and info I've linked to. The problem is that we can't possibly list every single thing that's considered a rules violation or just something we feel ought to be removed. We have to leave some of it up to common sense. In cases where we think people might not realize that something's a problem, or where there are many problems, we might well post a note to let people know.

It's a balancing act. The rules are fairly long already, and we try not to add things to them unless it seems to be absolutely necessary.

But we'll continue to think about this balance, and we always do take comments like this into our discussions, so thanks. :)

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
There is an FAQ, linked to from the Forum Rules that everyone agrees to read and accept as part of the registration agreement. There're also Rules for Appropriate Debate, also linked to from the rules.

I do get what you're saying. There are quite a few examples in the various rules and info I've linked to. The problem is that we can't possibly list every single thing that's considered a rules violation or just something we feel ought to be removed. We have to leave some of it up to common sense. In cases where we think people might not realize that something's a problem, or where there are many problems, we might well post a note to let people know.

It's a balancing act. The rules are fairly long already, and we try not to add things to them unless it seems to be absolutely necessary.

But we'll continue to think about this balance, and we always do take comments like this into our discussions, so thanks. :)

I see your point.

But the rules are like EULA's. Everyone agrees to them and no one reads them. Hell, most probably couldn't tell you the rules link is right up on the link bar. I barely remember I have a user CP!

Seems to me though that once the moderator references a specific case like "safari snappier" you've gone down the path of having a list, just not an EXPLICIT list. So like Animal House, you can be on "Double Secret Probation" and not even know it!

I think it would be quite amusing actually to see the list of banned topics.

Would not be too hard to create one on the fly. Specifically, if a moderator feels a need to quote a particular usage pattern to be banned, throw it onto the list and then quote and link to it. Essentially, almost just as quick as writing the post itself.

In addition to the amusement factor it gives an overview of what is being banned so it can be rationally evaluated. If you list is 10 pages long that may tell you something vs if the list is 1 page long. Right now all you can do is go on a 'feeling' as to whether censorship is being over applied or under applied.

Then again, I'm an engineer oft accused of being too anal...

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
Admittedly, I have only read the rules in bits and pieces, fits and starts. I generally try to behave myself, in any case: I have yet to be contacted by anyone for any misdeeds. As such, I have found this discussion quite fascinating and enlightening.

Personally, I'm glad they're here, mostly quietly working in the background. I don't envy them their job. I'd be a total Nazi about it all. I can't tolerate gross stupidity. Especially in myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.