Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As highlighted by Android Police and Engadget, Google is ending support for Google Catalogs, its product browsing app for iOS and Android, on August 15. The app originally launched first on the iPad in 2011 and collaborated with various apparel merchants in an attempt to bring users rich, interactive content.

google_catalogs_shutdown.jpg
The news comes just days after Google removed the Google+ Local App from the App Store following integration into Google Maps last week. Google also ended support for Google Reader, its RSS service, earlier this month.

Article Link: Google Ending Support for Google Catalogs on iOS and Android August 15

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
This is why I've been trying to switch from Google products to others. Too many times Google decides to drop products all of a sudden. Prime examples are Gmail Exchange capability and Google Reader.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Another prime example of how google just throws stuff at the wall and prays it sticks. It's like google is a teenage girl with commitment issues.

Berserker-UK

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Berkshire, UK
This is why I've been trying to switch from Google products to others. Too many times Google decides to drop products all of a sudden. Prime examples are Gmail Exchange capability and Google Reader.

You just better hope that those others don't end them too. If those others are Apple, then you obviously forgot about MobileMe, iDisk, etc.

Technology is unsuccessful, or outdated, or just uneconomic to maintain in the face of competition. It goes away. Life moves on.

Reactions: TechFann

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Add this to the pile with other Google products like Wave, Reader, Dodgeball, and Buzz.

Google kills a service and it's was "just a test product". Apple fails at Ping and it's stock falls 100 points. This is one of biggest irritations about the perceptions of the two companies.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

They seem to be dropping anything that they cant monetize easily, or cant be bothered to maintain anymore. Thankfully anything part of the enterprise market is safe (i.e Calendar, Gmail, Contacts, Talk, etc).

----------

Add this to the pile with other Google products like Wave, Reader, Dodgeball, and Buzz.

Google kills a service and it's was "just a test product". Apple fails at Ping and it's stock falls 100 points. This is one of biggest irritations about the perceptions of the two companies.

In fairness, Google does run a hell of a lot more 'beta' products than Apple, and has always done so. They like to try things out. I guess most of the projects they try out come from acquisitions and the 20% personal project system they have.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
It's all good. Trim all the fat and get down to your best products. Take note Samsung.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
If this is the current trend affecting Google then when are we going to read that Google is officially ending support for "GOGGLE"?
Seriously, Goggle can't seem to monetize sh** outside its search. And the problem with that is that Goggly[sic] has to always make new money for their sugar daddies. Well how you going to do that if you're giving away stuff for free? Bait and switch?
Just my two cents.

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011
You just better hope that those others don't end them too. If those others are Apple, then you obviously forgot about MobileMe, iDisk, etc.

Technology is unsuccessful, or outdated, or just uneconomic to maintain in the face of competition. It goes away. Life moves on.

Yeah that's true, it just seems that Google is the company that dumps their products the most often. They're like the George Clooney of tech companies.

kdarling

macrumors P6

One difference is that Google usually doesn't have their CEO spend ten minutes on stage, telling everyone how incredibly magical (fill in the blank) is, and how it'll change your life forever.

When you do that, people have different expectations.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
My friends at Google tells me Google is strongly considering a removal of IMAP as well. Users would have to use either web app, iOS, or Android apps.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
My friends at Google tells me Google is strongly considering a removal of IMAP as well. Users would have to use either web app, iOS, or Android apps.

The person you were quoting was referencing Google Apps for Business. They won't piss off PAYING customers. Gapps still has Exchange Support.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

Agreed. I've given up trusting that anything from Google will be around in a few years.

----------

One difference is that Google usually doesn't have their CEO spend ten minutes on stage, telling everyone how incredibly magical (fill in the blank) is, and how it'll change your life forever.

When you do that, people have different expectations.

bla bla bla bla bla ….:rolleyes:

satchow

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2011

WOW! Well that will definitely get me to drop the last Google service I use then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.