Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Errr..I know plenty of people that have made the switch for this exact reason.

I also know iPhone owners who complain non stop about the tiny size of the screen.
Then they should stop using their iPhone and buy a phone with a bigger screen? The vast majority of Android phones with a bigger screen are way cheaper than iPhone anyway, so it's not like money is preventing them from switching.

Personally, I wish I could keep my 3.5" iPhone 4 forever because it's the perfect size for me. If Apple ever releases a 5" iPhone I certainly hope they'll keep the 4" models for people who want a device that fits in their pocket.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Errr..I know plenty of people that have made the switch for this exact reason.

I also know iPhone owners who complain non stop about the tiny size of the screen.

It is happening. Period.

thats the reason i got the Nexus 4 with its 4.7 screen as a secondary device to try something new and bigger but turns out i hate the screen size ... its uncomfortable to hold in many situations like in bed and i literally get cramps in my hand holding it for too long

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
This is exactly why I sold my iPhone 5 and switched to the HTC One. I'm disappointed by the screen size.

It's not that I think Android is the better OS; it's that the iPhone is just small now. I don't need a screen size like the monstrosity that is the Note 2, but the 4" on the 5 feels cramped when I compare it to the 4.7" on my One. The extra .35" on either size makes a difference, and this is what disappoints me about the iPhone 5S or C or whatever its called.

Apple says they want to give their customers the best one-handed experience, and I get that. And maybe I just have giant hands, but on the One I can reach the top apps without straining my thumbs. I get that not everyone has my sized hands, but my point is the one-handed argument isn't what it was in the past.

It's been a challenge getting my iOS ecosystem ported over to Android, and Android is a hell of a lot less convenient. But here I am, looking at my One, knowing full well that I'm settling for it, but what else can I do? The bigger screen on this phone makes a huge difference. And that's not hyperbole.

Maybe the 6 will have a larger 4.5-4.7" screen. I hope it does. If it does, I'll happily come back.

This is my problem with posts like this.

iPhone is the perfect size for what it was originally designed to be. A phone.

Not only a phone, but a phone that bucked the trend of micro sized phones. My non-iphone mobile in 2007 was so tiny and slim it is remarkable that I now have (and accept) a phone larger than my some of my first handsets.

In short, it is a phone that allows access to email and casual web surfing & multimedia etc, it cannot and is not designed to replace a computer or laptop (or dare I say... iPad?).

I think most users would still like a phone to fit comfortably in their pockets, rather than a much larger footprint.

I am not opposed to Apple releasing a larger phone as an option, just that I prefer the current size and do not feel that complaints as to it's size is a legitimate reason for abandoning the platform.

If like myself it sounds like you need a larger screen on the go at times, then like me you may have simply needed to buy an iPad mini. Otherwise good luck with your current platform.

j4zb4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
lol, your edit makes things more confusing.
I am not a mechanic, but I meant rims, not wheels in my post. Yes, rims are part of the wheel after 19th century, but regular rims of today replace the crappy black rims that need a hubcap to cover them to look good so I stand by my post. :)

Hahaha, sorry about that, I'm kind of loopy tonight (the whole week actually), yeah we're on the same page, even I'm not making any sense :D

Back to arguing about gold phones and whatnot ... ;)

Wheels and Rims are used interchangeably... The hub caps (or wheel covers) are used for the Steel wheels... The new alloy wheels don't need those...

Hope it clarifies... :p :p :p

macs4nw

macrumors 601

I can't believe both the quality and quantity of all these leaked photos lately. Is it me, or are there a lot more of these hi-res shots making the rounds lately, than there ever were, prior to other launches?

Does Tim not care anymore, or has he given up, trying to stem the tide of these leaks. Or, as I'm starting to wonder, are these 'leaksters' doing this with Apple's tacit approval, or even complicity, as a pre-emptive strike, to stem the tide of impatient potential 'defectors'?

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
if that gold iphone had black strips instead of those ugly white ones, it'd have been my next iphone. i hope apple "considers" this (gold iphone with black strips) option.

Masteron

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
I can't believe both the quality and quantity of all these leaked photos lately. Is it me, or are there a lot more of these hi-res shots making the rounds lately, than there ever were, prior to other launches?

Does Tim not care anymore, or has he given up, trying to stem the tide of these leaks. Or, as I'm starting to wonder, are these 'leaksters' doing this with Apple's tacit approval, or even complicity, as a pre-emptive strike, to stem the tide of impatient potential 'defectors'?

I do not see why they would be secret about a phone that basically is the same as the 5. I see nothing amazing about the 5s, the fingerprint reader will be a fun toy for the first few weeks then most will disable it as it will be a pain in the butt and just an extra step to use your phone.

Klosefabrinio

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
i hope we see a redesigned iphone next year, enough of this design, but this year was a good time to redesign the iphone (because they have recently released a completely redesigned iOS)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This color reminds me of the original iPhone more than anything else. So yes, Steve WOULD have done it :).

I own that exact exact phone and I use it every day. And it's great. I especially like the feel and weight of it. I hope the 5C can match this, as I don't think I'll be able to afford the 5S. Outright this is, not paying for a contract.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Just by looking at the shot of the back with the dual led flash I guess we can assume that most of the current ip5 cases won't fit/will interfere with the new flash, sucks that I'll probably have to get a new case :/

This is true. But it may also be assumed that most iPhone 5 users signed a 2 year contract, and will not be upgrading to the 5S.

Because Apple lacks real innovation and the front looks the same since the iPhone 1.0.

It's just a screen, what else can Apple do to make the front different. It's a rectangle, and I assume it will continue to be a rectangle for many years to come! My guess is there are no front shots because they want to protect/hide the finger print scanner.

Last edited:

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
This is exactly why I sold my iPhone 5 and switched to the HTC One. I'm disappointed by the screen size.

It's not that I think Android is the better OS; it's that the iPhone is just small now. I don't need a screen size like the monstrosity that is the Note 2, but the 4" on the 5 feels cramped when I compare it to the 4.7" on my One. The extra .35" on either size makes a difference, and this is what disappoints me about the iPhone 5S or C or whatever its called.

Maybe the 6 will have a larger 4.5-4.7" screen. I hope it does. If it does, I'll happily come back.

This is where I'm at, and why I swapped my i5 for an S4. It dwarfs the i5 but it isn't too big for me. Android isn't that hard to get used to and it's come a long way in recent years. I still have my iPad and when I'm home I use it more than the S4 as I still prefer iOS, but only just. to me there isn't much in it when you compare the two OS's these days. Apps is a different story but the gap isn't what it was.
An iphone the size of the S4 (no bigger) would get me to come back to iOS. I thought I was happy with the 4" on the i5, until I had a play with the S4, the extra screen real estate makes a big difference.

machomandave

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013
stay compact!

Apple says they want to give their customers the best one-handed experience, and I get that. And maybe I just have giant hands, but on the One I can reach the top apps without straining my thumbs. I get that not everyone has my sized hands, but my point is the one-handed argument isn't what it was in the past.

It's been a challenge getting my iOS ecosystem ported over to Android, and Android is a hell of a lot less convenient. But here I am, looking at my One, knowing full well that I'm settling for it, but what else can I do? The bigger screen on this phone makes a huge difference. And that's not hyperbole.

This is exactly why I'm switching to the iphone; the android competitors are getting too huge! I want to be able to carry the phone in my pocket, I dont want to have to get a purse to carry the thing like a laptop or tablet. So happy the 5s is the same size (though that was expected).
Once you get a case on the phones these days they're bulky enough. Not only that, the big screen and size is a sneaky way to 'upgrade' the internal workings of the phone without the difficult engineering it takes to shrink parts and pieces.

cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.