Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:45 AM   #26
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
I use an iHome to play music all throughout the day, so the phone is constantly plugged in the entire time. It's also plugged in when I'm driving to/from work so I can listen to podcasts via my car's speakers.
Cant you use an AUX cable? Just for when you want to cycle the battery.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2
Old Jul 15, 2013, 02:46 PM   #27
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmanbaseball2 View Post
Cant you use an AUX cable? Just for when you want to cycle the battery.
Yeah I could (and sometimes I do), but if I use the USB port I can control the iPod and Pandora straight from my car's console. If I use AUX, I'd have to use the phone to thumbs-up things on pandora, change stations, etc, which is illegal here in California
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:25 PM   #28
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra923 View Post
So its not a cycle unless i charge from 0%? If thats the case then i barely have any cycles. My iphone is always plugged in. It barely ever hits 0% but when its not plugged in im losing 1.5% a minute and thats horrible.
Losing 1.5% a minute is indicative of a rouge process. Hard reset your phone or turn if off and on. You can install a system utility app to find out if there is a process causing the CPU to needlessly run at a high percentage. If this is what's happening the phone may feel warm.

Another poster mentioned Apple's recommendations that can be found here. The website is confusing in that as others have mentioned, a cycle is 100% usage, even if the discharge is interrupted by charging. I took that literally a long time ago and now, out of habit, once a month I discharge my phone until it shuts down.

When you leave the phone plugged in the charging circuit will exercise the battery between about 98% and 100% as maintenance but that isn't enough for long term battery health (long lifespan).
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone