Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Th3KaNgSt3R

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
I listen to a lot of music on my 16gb iPhone 4 and I want to save some space.
Most of my music is 320 kbps MP3's which some 256 kbps and 192 kbps. I currently have 1150 songs that take up 7.6gb of space.

So how can I shrink the size of my music without a loss in sound quality? Which format do I use to save space and keep sound quality?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
^+1. Variable Bit Rate encoding is more efficient than Constant Bit Rate. BUT u HAVE to re-encode from original CD or Wave. U DO NOT re-encode from existing mp3s.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I listen to a lot of music on my 16gb iPhone 4 and I want to save some space.
Most of my music is 320 kbps MP3's which some 256 kbps and 192 kbps. I currently have 1150 songs that take up 7.6gb of space.

So how can I shrink the size of my music without a loss in sound quality? Which format do I use to save space and keep sound quality?

In iTunes, when your iPhone is plugged in, click on the iPhone, click on "Summary", then under "Options" select "convert higher bitrate to 256 kbps AAC"; you can change the 256 to 192 or 128. All the music on your iPhone will be replaced with music at that bitrate; the originals on your computer will be unchanged.

Personally, I cannot hear a difference between 192 kbps AAC and higher bitrates with good headphones. Depending on how you use the iPhone, 128 kbps might do. Since the originals are not touched, you can change your mind at any time.

Downloading the music takes a long time, because everything needs to be converted.

Th3KaNgSt3R

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
^+1. Variable Bit Rate encoding is more efficient than Constant Bit Rate. BUT u HAVE to re-encode from original CD or Wave. U DO NOT re-encode from existing mp3s.

So if I only have the MP3's I won't be able to encode it to VBR?

In iTunes, when your iPhone is plugged in, click on the iPhone, click on "Summary", then under "Options" select "convert higher bitrate to 256 kbps AAC"; you can change the 256 to 192 or 128. All the music on your iPhone will be replaced with music at that bitrate; the originals on your computer will be unchanged.

Personally, I cannot hear a difference between 192 kbps AAC and higher bitrates with good headphones. Depending on how you use the iPhone, 128 kbps might do. Since the originals are not touched, you can change your mind at any time.

Downloading the music takes a long time, because everything needs to be converted.

Does AAC save space compared to MP3's?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
So if I only have the MP3's I won't be able to encode it to VBR?

If will work, but quality will suffer. Highly not recommended. But try it, and if you can't hear the difference, hey.

----------

Does AAC save space compared to MP3's?

*Some* only worthwhile to consider if you are doing it from scratch. But then once ur on AAC you are LOCKED IN to the Apple's ecosystem and will make your life *difficult* if you ever to decide to move out of iPhone.

Th3KaNgSt3R

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2010
Alright then, considering that I have no CD's for my music, is there a way to take my music library of mostly 320 kbps MP3's and make them smaller without a huge decrease in sound quality?

I'm thinking of taking my all my music and consolidating them by converting them to 256 kbps or even 192 kbps MP3's, will there be a drastic change in sound quality?

*Some* only worthwhile to consider if you are doing it from scratch. But then once ur on AAC you are LOCKED IN to the Apple's ecosystem and will make your life *difficult* if you ever to decide to move out of iPhone.

So if I am not planning on moving out of iPhone, would 192 kbps or 256 kbps AAC files be the best option to save space and maintain sound quality?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

Absolutely not true at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding

"AAC is also the default or standard audio format for YouTube, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Nintendo DSi, iTunes, DivX Plus Web Player and PlayStation 3. It is supported on PlayStation Vita, Wii (with the Photo Channel 1.1 update installed), Sony Walkman MP3 series and later, Sony Ericsson; Nokia, Android, BlackBerry, and webOS-based mobile phones, with the use of a converter. AAC has also seen some adoption on in-dash car audio especially on high-end units such as the Pioneer AVIC series."

It used to be that Apple DRM'ed AAC files purchased from the iTunes Store, but never did they do this for songs ripped from users' CDs. And all audio content purchased on iTunes now is DRM free.

The OP can convert all his stuff to AAC and be perfectly fine if he moves to a different platform, unless he maybe decides he wants a Palm Pre or something similarly obscure.

----------

Alright then, considering that I have no CD's for my music, is there a way to take my music library of mostly 320 kbps MP3's and make them smaller without a huge decrease in sound quality?

You can downconvert your 320kbps to 256 or lower just fine. The decrease in sound quality should be equal to converting from the CD source, so don't worry about it.

Just be aware that if you delete the 320kbps files, there won't be any way to go back UP in quality from the down-converted files, should you decide you're not happy with the lower bitrate.

So if I am not planning on moving out of iPhone, would 192 kbps or 256 kbps AAC files be the best option to save space and maintain sound quality?

Yes. It's fine even if you leave Apple forever later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.