Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

btdpi007

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
North Carolina
Curious... should I have $500 in redeemed iTunes gift cards, can you use the Express pay (i.e. pay with your iPhone), and have it deduct from your iTunes balance, to purchase hardware at an Apple Store (in particularly an iPad mini).

I cannot see any reason not, but wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience.

Thanks

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
No, iTunes gift cards are for use in the iTunes and app stores only. They cannot be used to purchase hardware.
Store gift cards are completely separate to iTunes gift cards.

jb91

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
Curious... should I have $500 in redeemed iTunes gift cards, can you use the Express pay (i.e. pay with your iPhone), and have it deduct from your iTunes balance, to purchase hardware at an Apple Store (in particularly an iPad mini).

I cannot see any reason not, but wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience.

Thanks

No you cant, they are two separate entities, you would need an Apple Store gift card to do that. What you can do is pay for accessories using the EasyPay option within the apple store app but you can't by Apple hardware this way. You MAY be able to buy an Apple Store gift card when in store using the Easypay app which would then take the balance from your iTunes account and add it onto your gift card to spend, not sure if you can though, you would need to check.

Basically The only way of spending iTunes voucher money in an Apple Store is by having the balance on your iTunes account and then paying with the Apple Store App. You may or may not be able to use the app to buy gift cards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.