Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I normally like sweet drinks. But, I'd like to try a really good beer that is not bitter.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Bitter is usually associated to your Ales, Pale Ales, Indian Pale Ales. Can you tell us what beers you have tried that you thought were bitter and we can work from there!

IBU = International Bitter Unit. The higher the number the more bitter.

Last edited:

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
a brown honey beer is what popped into my head after reading the OP.

might look for a brown honey there are several that come to mind. Dundee makes a decent one, Leinenkugel has a nice honey weiss, Sam Adams makes one but it might be a seasonal brew (can't recall). all have a sweeter taste due to the honey used in the brew process. it's fun searching and trying if nothing else! best of luck.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I hate bitter beers as well. Actually I don't care for the taste of beer. These are some that are not as bad.

Some I can think of.
- Chimay Grand Reserve
- Allagash Four Ale
- Unibroue Terrible
- Hefeweizen
- St Bernardus Abt 12
- Hoegaarden White Beer
- Dubel Golden Ale
- Wexford

Careful some of these are quite strong.

In general the Belgian Beers are safe and German. Weizen beers. A lot of the large bottled Ales labeled as triple or quad brewed. There is also a type of dark beer that is usually a little sweet. I want to say stout but can't recall.

It's been a while since I bought beer. On the rare occasion I have something to drink it's usually Trader Joe's White Zinfandel. It's stronger, tastes better, leaves less of a hangover than beer and goes with so many meals. Give it a try some people just don't like beer. I don't like many wines or the vast majority of alcohol either.

I have found a handful that are good.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some of the wonderful beers brewed by the Scottish company Innis & Gunn are not too bitter, and one or two on their range might be said to have a slight sweet taste to them.

Likewise, there is a terrific stout brewed by the Belgian company Carolus, which is heavy, malty and quite sweet. Wonderful drinking on a cold winter's night.

Be warned, though. As an earlier poster - velocityg4 - has already point out, some of these are also very, very strong. (As in 6.6% all the way up to almost 9%). That means you will probably have one, at most two, beers, at a sitting.....these are beers to be sipped, slowly and savoured, beers for slow, relaxed drinking.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
There's quite a few 'Summer beers' out there. Try and find some of those. Some are much sweeter than IPAs or bitters. Avoid anything described as 'hoppy' is often quite bitter.

If you can get it where you are (the States?) there's a UK bottled one by Badgers called 'Golden Glory'. It actually has a hint of peach in it. Is uspect that one would be perfect.

It's also not too lethal - 4.5% I find anything over 5% has to be consumed with Nurofen chasers if I'm going to function the next day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
There's quite a few 'Summer beers' out there. Try and find some of those. Some are much sweeter than IPAs or bitters. Avoid anything described as 'hoppy' is often quite bitter.

If you can get it where you are (the States?) there's a UK bottled one by Badgers called 'Golden Glory'. It actually has a hint of peach in it. Is uspect that one would be perfect.

It's also not too lethal - 4.5% I find anything over 5% has to be consumed with Nurofen chasers if I'm going to function the next day.

My solution is to drink a half litre of bottled water per beer or glass of wine. Always. And it works. Granted, it may look a bit stupid for the first drink (or two) but your body (and your head) thank you the following day. Staying hydrated is the trick to not needing Nurofen.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Try a Killians Red with a healthy squeeze of navel orange and a slice (without the peel).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

That is pretty mild for me. 8%-14% are usually the norm for me. Love me the taste of beer. Actually had a 18% beer once and it was on tap. Man was it good!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.