Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bpletcher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Michigan
I recently got a second iOS device (iPad mini) and have taken picture across both devices. I know photo stream syncs between iOS devices and iPhoti but am not a fan of the time constraint for the photos before they are removed. Iv been making albums on my iPad mini and organizing photos from my photo stream by putting them into specific albums.

My question is how can I sync my personally made albums across all iOS devices and iPhoto on my Mac. I have heard that I can make multiple photo streams to accomplish this but I was hoping for a more lasting solution. Reason being that eventually I could fill the 100 streams max and/or have more than 1000 photos per stream. A detailed guide on how to accomplish this would be incredibly helpful! Thanks so much for your time and let me know if you need any more information.

- bpletcher

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I use DropBox. It works cross platform and my company keeps all of it files there for everyone to use no matter what device.

It will back up your iPhone images for use on your iMac or PC.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
It's not the most ideal set-up, but it works pretty well for me.

Using PhotoSync:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photosync-wirelessly-transfers/id415850124?mt=8

It allows you to "beam" over WiFi photos from your iPhone to your iPad. This includes photo albums that you created on the device, which are added to your camera roll but also preserved as an album. It's not automatic, which is unfortunate, and does not work in the background, but if you don't mind manually syncing the photos between the two, I've found it to work perfectly. The companion Mac app works well for transferring pictures to your computer sans iTunes/iPhoto as well over WiFi.

Alternatively, Dropbox works nicely and CameraSync is an awesome little app that can wirelessly push your photos up to Dropbox and detect which photos are already on Dropbox, but 1) that doesn't retain photo albums, and 2) You would have to open up Dropbox on the iPad and manually download these photos again.

For your purposes, unless someone else has a better suggestion, PhotoSync is your best bet.

bpletcher

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2011
Michigan
Thank you very much for you recomendation. I just purchased PhotoSync and will give it a shot with my iPad when I get home!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.