Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Konradx
macrumors 6502

Mac Mail - Exchange corrupting mailbox

Hello,

I bought a new macbook pro, as I hate using pc's for work. I emailed IT asking them how to setup my mac mail and they stated:

"If by "Mail" you mean the built-in client on your Mac, no we don't. We don't support that client since it corrupts mailboxes. "

Has this been resolved? Is there workarounds? Advice?

Thanks!
5G iPod 60gig, Black
Konradx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:34 PM   #2
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

What your IT guys may mean is that in their experience syncing Mac Mail to their server (the way it's currently configured) has caused issues. What they're not saying is they don't want to track down the issue and resolve it on their end. If you were the CEO, I imagine they would!

I don't know of any particular kind of email system software that totally excludes Mac Mail as a viable client.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:46 PM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Did you ask what clients they do support on the Mac? If all else fails, use OWA.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Konradx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBaughn View Post
What your IT guys may mean is that in their experience syncing Mac Mail to their server (the way it's currently configured) has caused issues. What they're not saying is they don't want to track down the issue and resolve it on their end. If you were the CEO, I imagine they would!

I don't know of any particular kind of email system software that totally excludes Mac Mail as a viable client.
I work a pretty large corporation, that supplies everyone with Thinkpads. So i would be a minority. Are there any workarounds that can work with exchange?
5G iPod 60gig, Black
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konradx View Post
I work a pretty large corporation, that supplies everyone with Thinkpads. So i would be a minority. Are there any workarounds that can work with exchange?
Entourage or Outlook 2011
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Konradx
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Entourage or Outlook 2011
I prefer mail, as i have Outlook on my PC, and i don't like it that much. So has everyone abandoned mac mail?
5G iPod 60gig, Black
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:46 PM   #7
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Quote:
... I emailed IT asking them how to setup my mac mail and they stated:

"If by "Mail" you mean the built-in client on your Mac, no we don't. We don't support that client since it corrupts mailboxes. "

Has this been resolved? Is there workarounds? Advice?

Thanks!
Here is the deal: If you want to use your Mac at work, then you must learn to support yourself. Your IT staff spends so much time supporting Windows that it has no time to learn how to setup Macs. IT interprets its own ignorance as a Mac problem.

In the case of Exchange, if your firm uses Exchange 2007 or later, then Mail should work fine. FWIW, Microsoft's own Entourage EWS/Outlook 2011 has the same compatibility limitation as Mail. The flipside is that Mail should work if Entourage EWS/Outlook 2011 works.

Entourage EWS/Outlook 2011 and Mail are supposed to autodiscover the correct Exchange server settings much like the Windows version of Outlook does. If they do not, then copy the settings from a working installation of Outlook on a Windows computer.
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Ccrew
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
Here is the deal: If you want to use your Mac at work, then you must learn to support yourself. Your IT staff spends so much time supporting Windows that it has no time to learn how to setup Macs. IT interprets its own ignorance as a Mac problem.
Might work in your enterprise but I have 600+ Mac's in mine. It's got nothing to do with "so much time supporting Windows". What is frequently has to do is that we support a corporate configuration, and if you want to BYOD, then you support it yourself.

Ignorance is usually on the user side with attitudes you've displayed about corporate IT.
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:55 AM   #9
MisterMe
macrumors G4

Ew-w-w-w, sensitive are we?
MisterMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:33 AM   #10
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I prefer mail, as i have Outlook on my PC, and i don't like it that much. So has everyone abandoned mac mail?
Outlook for Mac really shares nothing but the name with Outlook for Windows, so you may find it's worth trying, especially if that's what your IT infrastructure will support.
Personally I use Mail/Calendar/Contacts because I too don't really like Outlook for Mac but if Outlook was my only option, that's what I'd use.
chrfr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store