Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Patrick Michael
macrumors newbie

URL of Facebook when using FaceBook App

It appears that the Facebook app for some scenarios is hosting Safari and showing a "chromeless' webpage so that it looks better.

Does anyone know the URL or other trick to make this happen?
Patrick Michael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2
D.T.
macrumors 68030

If I'm following your question correctly, it's not actually the browser opening.

Native iOS apps can open a "web view" in the app itself, with very specific control presentation (and make the web view appear chromeless).

Basically when you call native web content, but you want the user to experience it seamlessly in the app (very common, Twitter, most news/feed apps, etc.)
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Patrick Michael
macrumors newbie

Yes, I wasn't clear.

The content within the "Web View" has the "Facebook Chrome" stripped out of it. This must becoming from either a different URL or some other flag that the Facebook website knows to remove certain content (such as Chat).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:58 PM   #4
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Michael View Post
Yes, I wasn't clear.

The content within the "Web View" has the "Facebook Chrome" stripped out of it. This must becoming from either a different URL or some other flag that the Facebook website knows to remove certain content (such as Chat).
OK, yes, that's what I said above.

When you're in an app, and the app opens some "regular" web content without switching over to Safari, it does it through a UIWebView ... that's basically like an embedded browser, but minus all the browser chrome/controls/nav/etc.

It's handy for displaying web content while controlling the UX and keeping the user "in" the original app (and you can display some custom menu options).
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5
Patrick Michael
macrumors newbie

Thanks again for responding.

You are right, and what that hosted webcontrol is doing is sending a different URL than the regular facebook URL, or an added query string to have the facebook website return *different* HTML to the iPad app.

I think this requires URL sniffing at the router level. That's the URL I am looking for.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad