Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Was wondering if anyone changed there thermal paste, I don't expect the ivy bridge i5 and HD4000 to run hot but It should be a bit warm under task. I plan to but a dab of IC7 (this stuff is the best) on whatever applicable chips as soon as its delivered

Wonder has anyone done the same?

Also.. theres no type of sensors or none of that crap that would indicate I took the heatsinks off would it?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
1st Don't expect miracle 4r MAJOR improvement. 2nd applying paste has some art to it, too little, too much, un-even and u may as well left it alone. I dunno if the Air has sensor on the heat sink or just CPU. To quantify whether u made a diff is better to have both, otherwise I would make up a precise measurement procedure for Before and After.

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
I only expect to open it twice.. 1 to change the paste and 2 to swap in a OWC or OEM SSD later down the road when the moneys right

But I'll consider everyone's advice and give it a month.. to see if it's worth my time

Side note... Glad I got 8GB. plan is to keep it for a minimum of 3 years. and who knows how resource hoggy the mac OS is gonna get. Feel as though Ivy Bridge was definitely the sweet spot to consider having a machine for a a few years and resisting the urge to upgrade (im gonna try lol)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.