Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

accounti

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Hello,

I'm going to buy an iPhone on Internet and the man who sells it tell me that it's sealed.

I asked him the serial number and he gave it to me but when I enter it on the "warranty website" it tells me that the warranty expires on September 22th ! Is it normal ?
What should it display ?

Thanking you in advance !

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Hello,

I'm going to buy an iPhone on Internet and the man who sells it tell me that it's sealed.

I asked him the serial number and he gave it to me but when I enter it on the "warranty website" it tells me that the warranty expires on September 22th ! Is it normal ?
What should it display ?

Thanking you in advance !

The 365 day warranty starts the moment it's activated, this means that when he bought it he had it activated and they can do this without opening the box. It's usually done right at the store at the time of purchase. You could raise the concern to him that it doesn't have it's full warranty and either ask for one that does or ask for a slight discount.

accounti

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
The 365 day warranty starts the moment it's activated, this means that when he bought it he had it activated and they can do this without opening the box. It's usually done right at the store at the time of purchase. You could raise the concern to him that it doesn't have it's full warranty and either ask for one that does or ask for a slight discount.

Thanks for the answer but are you sure that they can begin to activate the warranty without opening the box ?! Wouldn't it be reinitlalized when I'll plug it On iTunes ?

Last edited:

travis.hansen

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Thanks for the answer but are you sure that they can begin to activate the warranty without opening the box ?! Wouldn't it be reinitlalized when I'll plug it On iTunes ?

Yeah, they can activate the warranty without opening the box. If it was purchased at an Apple Store they require that it be activated to a line before it leaves the store so if he did that the warranty would have began that day. It doesn't hurt to be cautious though and honestly you could find another phone that hasn't ever been activated. You would probably feel much safer that way plus you would get your full year warranty... Here is an example of an original iPhone that I bought a while back that has never been activated...

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.7 KB · Views: 466

accounti

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Oh okay thanks ! So it won't be reinitialized when i will plug it to iTunes ...

accounti

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
Ok thanks for the answers :) at least I'm sure it has not been stolen ^^

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
What's the difference in price, new at Apple, and what he is selling it for ? If the same, I would buy new from Apple instead and no worries with warranty.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Sounds like you are buying a second hand phone. Of course it doesn't come with a new warranty. You only get a new warranty from an authorized dealer.

accounti

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2012
What's the difference in price, new at Apple, and what he is selling it for ? If the same, I would buy new from Apple instead and no worries with warranty.

The price is very low compared to the apple store one ! In canada the iphone is $899 without taxes (15%)

----------

what carrier is it for?

If the phone was activated without being open does it mean that it still need to be activated with a sim card or not ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.