Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Goz

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Problems...

One thing I don't like about Rushplayer is that you can access ALL of your system files from its "Files" menu. This can be dangerous, confusing and it kind of unnecessary when we just want it to play videos or music files. It would be much better if it had a dedicated, locked "media" folder like AVplayer instead of giving you access to your entire system's file tree. If nothing else, there should be an option to hide system files that we have no use for in this application.

Also, I hope in future updates the graphical interface can be improved like the radio. I hope the radio can look more like Tunein Radio, which I think is the best radio app out there.

So in closing, these are what I think need improving:

1. Do not give access to all system files through the "Files" menu. Instead, have it go to a dedicated, locked "Media" folder that consolidates all video and music files on the system like AVplayer.

2. Improve the graphical interface of the radio and TV apps. It would be nice to see a graphic of the station we are listening to like what Tunein radio does.

I feel if Rushplayer can improve on these things, they will become THE media player of all future iOS devices. Playback is fantastic, the interface just needs some tweaking/refining.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
One thing I don't like about Rushplayer is that you can access ALL of your system files from its "Files" menu. This can be dangerous, confusing and it kind of unnecessary when we just want it to play videos or music files. It would be much better if it had a dedicated, locked "media" folder like AVplayer instead of giving you access to your entire system's file tree. If nothing else, there should be an option to hide system files that we have no use for in this application.

You must have mistaken the jailbreak-only RushPlayer+ to the standard, AppStore-based RushPlayer (notice the lack of the + sign!). The latter doesn't provide access to the whole file system, not even on JB'n devices.

Aqui72

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
No sound after update

Is there anyone here experience after updating to 1.5.4, no sound output and i read same experience/issues from apple support..i miss watching movies whenever i'm riding the bus..hope this problem will be fix, i did delete/reinstall but same problem goes.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Is there anyone here experience after updating to 1.5.4, no sound output and i read same experience/issues from apple support..i miss watching movies whenever i'm riding the bus..hope this problem will be fix, i did delete/reinstall but same problem goes.

As I've elaborated on in several of my articles also in this forum, iOS video player developers are constantly forced to remove AC3 support from their apps. RushPlayer, consequently, also dropped AC3 - this is why you can't hear anything. The problem can't be fixed unless you're ready to switch to a player with AC3 support. I recommend It's Playing the most.

Alternatively, if you're jailbroken, get RushPlayer+ (the "unleashed", no-restrictions Cydia version of RushPlayer): it does support AC3.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
As I've elaborated on in several of my articles also in this forum

Here's my latest one, also linking to this thread:

Unfortunately, more and more players (my latest, three-day-old, related article reporting on no less than five(!) players' doing the same) end up dropping AC-3 (and related) audio support, meaning the inability to play back the audio in a lot of videos: all AVCHD ones (camera MTS files etc.), about half of MKV's (AC-3 is very popular with MKV's, the other popular audio format being DTS), all ATSC (U.S.) digital TV broadcast recordings, a lot of AVI's etc. - as is also mentioned by THIS, RushPlayer-AC-3-drop-related post.

The newest victims are:

- RushPlayer - a decent player (but not as good as the top-end ones)

- VM Player (HD) - an, in my opinion, pretty mediocre player.

HD Player Pro, which I, for hardware MKV playback, highly recommended in my recent, dedicated article, fortunately, "only" dropped the not-that-common Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) and E-AC-3 support; that is, the new version does support AC-3.

An AppStore update list showing all this (except for the somewhat earlier RushPlayer dumbing-down):

Note that the "unleashed" and, because of not being restricted by Apple's overly restrictive (and, IMHO, in a lot of cases pretty unnecessary) AppStore rules, far superior Cydia version of RushPlayer, RushPlayer+ (note the + sign!) still does support AC3. If you absolutely want to stick with the RushPlayer interface, consider switching to that version - if your iDevice is jailbroken, that is. Note that the free version is preferctly usable for playback. Unfortunately, the developer of the app still uses its own, very restrictive and, in my opinion, unreliable in-app purchase method locking the player's license to one device only. I really hope he switches to the standard Cydia purchasing mechanism some time allowing to easily reinstall the app on another device; until then, I don't really recommend purchasing the app.

Also note that, should your iDevice not be jailbroken and/or you are ready to switch to another player, It's Playing, an absolutely stunning player (latest review here at MacRumors), (still?) supports AC-3. You really should give it a try - not only because of AC-3.

Finally, as you can see by comparing the above update list and my previous HD Player Pro review, the only change in the just-released, new version (5.0.2) is the removal of the Dolby support (again, except for the "base" AC-3). That is, the traditional "back up and restore the old 5.0.1 IPA file" method of keeping the E-AC-3 / MLP support (by securing the old version) by sticking with version 5.0.1 will work just fine and you won't lose any new functionality / bugfixes.

Aqui72

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Here's my latest one, also linking to this thread:

Unfortunately, more and more players (my latest, three-day-old, related article reporting on no less than five(!) players' doing the same) end up dropping AC-3 (and related) audio support, meaning the inability to play back the audio in a lot of videos: all AVCHD ones (camera MTS files etc.), about half of MKV's (AC-3 is very popular with MKV's, the other popular audio format being DTS), all ATSC (U.S.) digital TV broadcast recordings, a lot of AVI's etc. - as is also mentioned by THIS, RushPlayer-AC-3-drop-related post.

The newest victims are:

- RushPlayer - a decent player (but not as good as the top-end ones)

- VM Player (HD) - an, in my opinion, pretty mediocre player.

HD Player Pro, which I, for hardware MKV playback, highly recommended in my recent, dedicated article, fortunately, "only" dropped the not-that-common Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) and E-AC-3 support; that is, the new version does support AC-3.

An AppStore update list showing all this (except for the somewhat earlier RushPlayer dumbing-down):

[url=https://dl.dropbox.com/u/81986513/112012/1105ac3drop/IMG_1906t.jpg]Image[/URL]

Note that the "unleashed" and, because of not being restricted by Apple's overly restrictive (and, IMHO, in a lot of cases pretty unnecessary) AppStore rules, far superior Cydia version of RushPlayer, RushPlayer+ (note the + sign!) still does support AC3. If you absolutely want to stick with the RushPlayer interface, consider switching to that version - if your iDevice is jailbroken, that is. Note that the free version is preferctly usable for playback. Unfortunately, the developer of the app still uses its own, very restrictive and, in my opinion, unreliable in-app purchase method locking the player's license to one device only. I really hope he switches to the standard Cydia purchasing mechanism some time allowing to easily reinstall the app on another device; until then, I don't really recommend purchasing the app.

Also note that, should your iDevice not be jailbroken and/or you are ready to switch to another player, It's Playing, an absolutely stunning player (latest review here at MacRumors), (still?) supports AC-3. You really should give it a try - not only because of AC-3.

Finally, as you can see by comparing the above update list and my previous HD Player Pro review, the only change in the just-released, new version (5.0.2) is the removal of the Dolby support (again, except for the "base" AC-3). That is, the traditional "back up and restore the old 5.0.1 IPA file" method of keeping the E-AC-3 / MLP support (by securing the old version) by sticking with version 5.0.1 will work just fine and you won't lose any new functionality / bugfixes.

Thank you for your detailed explanation, now i had to choose what movie i should play, sad for me as i always drag all my movies to it but now due to restriction imposed, the player i enjoyed before is just a piece of junk..i should be more careful now before buying apps that will be useful rather than clutter my storage and not serve its purpose. As a suggestion, can you post apps that everyone of us could easily view what is the edge and superiority of one player to another. Now im back reading, searching all your previous post so i wont be lost finding an ideal apps. So i wont be surprised again.:)

Fabricman112

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
the ONLY player u need is: It's Playing, it supports all formats and is nearly perfect... it does crash sometimes when streaming from NAS, but the update yesterday may have fixed that :cool:

clumsythief83

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I miss AVPlayer so much. It plays everything flawlessly. For some reason, all the media players I'm using plays my videos very choppy on my iPad mini and iPhone 4s for almost all divx. MKV plays fine tho, weird.

Aqui72

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
BTW, TTplayerHD has just dropped AC-3: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1486560/

So there's a lot of apps dropping support for ac-3, how many still support ac-3? can you give us list? if i buy today "it's playing" app, do you think anytime the developer could stop the apps from supporting ac-3 or same as rushplayer which i mistakenly updated to 1.5.4 thus making it non playable audio w/ ac-3.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
So there's a lot of apps dropping support for ac-3, how many still support ac-3? can you give us list? if i buy today "it's playing" app, do you think anytime the developer could stop the apps from supporting ac-3 or same as rushplayer which i mistakenly updated to 1.5.4 thus making it non playable audio w/ ac-3.

1, unfortunately, It's playing will drop AC-3 too. However, if you're ready to save the current version (and find it useful), you can avoid updating (just backup the IPA file.) That is, you can safely buy 3.7.1 today - before the next version comes out.

2, I don't have a list as maintaining it would be too hard - every day there's some players dropping AC-3. Generally, it seems only jailbroken apps and CineXPlayerHD won't drop support.

Aqui72

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
1, unfortunately, It's playing will drop AC-3 too. However, if you're ready to save the current version (and find it useful), you can avoid updating (just backup the IPA file.) That is, you can safely buy 3.7.1 today - before the next version comes out.

2, I don't have a list as maintaining it would be too hard - every day there's some players dropping AC-3. Generally, it seems only jailbroken apps and CineXPlayerHD won't drop support.

Saw the cinexplayer hd but it has no support for mkv yet so i guess i'll go with the "its playing" while it still on 3.7.1

Aqui72

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012

Your correct, its playing no longer support ac3 so i just need to backup what i have now, thanks for sugggestion.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Saw the cinexplayer hd but it has no support for mkv yet so i guess i'll go with the "its playing" while it still on 3.7.1

cinexplayer HD does support hardware MKV playback - it's just that its playback quality (on Retina iPads) and speed isn't as good as that of the top players.

The dev is aware of the problems and at least the first problem will be fixed before long - see our conversation (along with my review) at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1478727/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.