Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

View Poll Results: Which torch do you prefer?
Olympic Torch 5 62.50%
Paralympic Torch 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:19 AM   #1
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Which do you prefer? Paralympic or Olympic Torch?

Hi

So, both the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic torches are beautiful pieces of engineering. I love them both - they are both worthy of Apple - but can't decide which I prefer (possibly considering purchasing one). What do you think Which one is best? If you were a collector, which would you prefer? The more common Olympic Torch or the much rarer Paralympic Torch? 8000 units VS 1000 units.

Thumb resize.Thumb resize.

or: This picture!

Vote in the poll above!

UPDATE: Silver is the Paralympic Torch, Gold is the Olympic Torch.

Sam

Last edited by gwelmarten; Dec 3, 2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Please use TIMG tags for large images
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:14 AM   #2
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Which torch is Olympic and which is the Paralympic?
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

No idea which is which, but they look the same to me short of their color. So isn't it just a matter of gold vs. silver? And isn't silver 2nd place?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:53 AM   #4
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Which torch is Olympic and which is the Paralympic?
Sorry I didn't say in the post - Gold is Olympic, Silver is Paralympic.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
No idea which is which, but they look the same to me short of their color. So isn't it just a matter of gold vs. silver? And isn't silver 2nd place?
I've updated the thread to say - I guess you could think of it like that, but I think it's more about Gold been a different event entirely to the Silver.

It is a case of Gold or Silver yes, but it's also about which event is more important, and the rarity of the torches, what with there been 1/8 of the amount of silver ones as there are of the gold ones.

Sam
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:58 AM   #5
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
I've updated the thread to say - I guess you could think of it like that, but I think it's more about Gold been a different event entirely to the Silver.

It is a case of Gold or Silver yes, but it's also about which event is more important, and the rarity of the torches, what with there been 1/8 of the amount of silver ones as there are of the gold ones.
Are you buying it because it means something to you, for decoration, or hope to resell later? It sounds like you're wanting buying advice instead of wanting to know our preferences. Personally I don't care for either, for decoration I'd probably go silver, and for rarity... that's hard to tell. Sure there are fewer of the silver ones but that's likely in part because there are fewer people that want them, not to make them more collectible. The gold ones will probably be worth more in the end simply because more people know things that happened at the 2012 Olympics over the Paralympics.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:01 AM   #6
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Are you buying it because it means something to you, for decoration, or hope to resell later? It sounds like you're wanting buying advice instead of wanting to know our preferences. Personally I don't care for either, for decoration I'd probably go silver, and for rarity... that's hard to tell. Sure there are fewer of the silver ones but that's likely in part because there are fewer people that want them, not to make them more collectible. The gold ones will probably be worth more in the end simply because more people know things that happened at the 2012 Olympics over the Paralympics.
I think I'm probably buying it for decoration - I think it's a beautiful piece of art. But I also want it to maintain it's value. So the poll is about: which do you prefer?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:45 AM   #7
jeremy h
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sure there are fewer of the silver ones but that's likely in part because there are fewer people that want them, not to make them more collectible. The gold ones will probably be worth more in the end simply because more people know things that happened at the 2012 Olympics over the Paralympics.
That's valid and true but the paralympics seem to came of age this time (it all played to sold out venues and we were all glued to it just like the Olympics etc) so there's some emotional tug to that one in my book.

Nice things to have though in either colour. How much is a guide price for one of them?
jeremy h is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 09:48 AM   #8
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy h View Post
That's valid and true but the paralympics seem to came of age this time (it all played to sold out venues and we were all glued to it just like the Olympics etc) so there's some emotional tug to that one in my book.

Nice things to have though in either colour. How much is a guide price for one of them?
I agree - the Paralympics really got going this year - had tremendous support. About £1700 I think.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I think I'm probably buying it for decoration - I think it's a beautiful piece of art. But I also want it to maintain it's value. So the poll is about: which do you prefer?
How will something that they only made 500 of lose it's value? Those are unique that you can't just go to Walmart and buy. And if your not going to light it to cook smores what good is it unless you actually ran with it.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:58 PM   #10
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNut View Post
How will something that they only made 500 of lose it's value? Those are unique that you can't just go to Walmart and buy. And if your not going to light it to cook smores what good is it unless you actually ran with it.
I agree about the value thing, but not with your thoughts on it's use. I think it's a piece of art - don't you think it is beautiful?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
MacNut
macrumors P6

Quote:
I agree about the value thing, but not with your thoughts on it's use. I think it's a piece of art - don't you think it is beautiful?
Sure it is but it just seems like a waste of money unless it holds sentimental value.
MacNut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 02:12 PM   #12
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm going to expose myself here, but no, it is not beautiful to me.

Nice? Sure. But I don't quite see the fascination of it judging by these pictures. It looks just like I would expect a metal torch to.

Perhaps if I had a more emotional attachment to the events or the torches themselves...
But to look at? I think they are ok.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:02 PM   #13
Dagless
macrumors Core

I had no idea such a fuss (and that's the wrong word, sorry!) is made over these! That's a lot of money.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

I miss the Olympics already.

It was a golden summer.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:22 PM   #15
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Silver. I think he gold is a bit 90s gaudy rich sorta kinda thing. Also, apple would never make a big gold thing anyway. If it was a gold medal, I would take it.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
art, design, olympic, paralympic, torch