Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munirlmanu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
Hello,

I am trying to set up a “personal cloud” in my home, basically just want an external hard drive available over my wireless connection so all my hardware (Nexus 4, Macbook Pro, PS3, LG TV, girlfriends iPhone & soon to be my iPad mini) can connect to it.

I recently bought this NAS adapter (http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-usb-gigabit-network-server-521590) from Maplin & expected plug & play, however that has not been the case. I have connected my router to this NAS server through an Ethernet cable & connected an 8GB FAT32 formatted flash drive to that.

My internet provider is Virgin & I have a super hub router. I thought it may be a problem with the router but my LG TV is plugged in using ethernet & using a media server I can stream files from my macbook to my TV no problem.

So far I have tried connecting to the IP address at the back of the router, to no avail. Just times out. To make matters worse, the product came with one of those mini dvd things I thought were long since obsolete & of course they don’t work with my MBP. Also, impossible to find support for this product online, I can barely even find out the name of who made it.

Has anybody set up a similar device using Mountain Lion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.