Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TylerCiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Hi.

I've been searching the internet for a lot of hours and I can't find the pinout layout of a macbook air battery.

Here is my problem.
A friend gave me his old macbook air (Macbook Air mid 2009 A1304 1.8ghz non ssd hd, 45w charger, battery A1245) , which didn't turn on and the genius told him that he need to replace the hard drive and some internal component (I assumed the dc jack in).

Indeed, the laptop wouldn't turn on. I managed to turn it on using the old smc trick, pushing the power button for 5 segs without energy in the charger and then connecting the charger to the energy and having pushed the power button for another 5 more seconds.

The hard drive was ok, it only needed a zero's write format.

The OSX tell's me that there is no battery connected. In fact, the led of the magsafe connector never turns on in any color, but it does in a macbook pro of a friend.

I've tried:

resetting the nvram
resetting the SMC with the shift command power
resetting the SMC with the 10 segs power button (in fact, everytime I want to turn on the mac when disconnecting from the AC)
sleep -> awake -> reset -> shutdown
upgrading the EFI and SMC firmware (osx say's it doesnt need that update)

I know Im doing "ok" the SMC reset because I did it too while the MBA it's on, and it just power off the laptop, but doesnt let me turn in it on again unless I do the 10 segs power button smc reset

So I want to manually charge the battery, but I dont find the pinout layout anywhere.

I know most probably everyone is gonna say "buy a new battery", but I kinda know the battery is functional, because the early times I could turn it on, the battery held a little power and I could turn on the mac without the charger.

I've tried 14v, 16v and 18v chargers, none of them turn on any of the leds of the magsafe connector.

Can somone help me letting me know where are the energy pins ?

TylerCiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Already did, but nothing there about pin layout.

I've been testing with my fluke and it appears that I have 6 GND and 3 Positive, but that doesnt seem exactly right to me. Anyways, appears to be the extreme ones the right ones.

I've been reading this awesome post https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1122338/
but haven't done reading yet.

It seems that what I've been doing its bypassing the SMC controller.

By the way, I've been using the magsafe connector (from a dead magsafe) with a generic laptop recharger (15v-18v 4amp) and with an HP Compaq V3000 charger (18v 3amp), and maybe thats the reason they are not charging.

I don't understand how the I2C chip in the 3 ping magsafe connector "communicates" with the magsafe charger, cause I didnt find any cables in my old dead magasafe charger, cause I ripped off and I only found 2 cables (negative and positive).

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
If you bypass the smc it won't see the battery

You should probably get a functional magsafe charger
Here's info on that

* The inner large pins are V+ (16.5 VDC). Measuring with no load will give 6.86 VDC; the full 16.5 V is provided to the proper load.

* The outer large pins are Ground.

* The tiny center pin is a Charge Control pin that assists with changing the LED color, and also assists with switching the adapter off. No power will be output from any of the other pins until contact is made with the center Charge Control pin. This pin is also used to transfer additional Information, such as the powertype and serialnumber of the powersupply.

These voltage numbers are for the 65w magsafe. The 45w should be slightly lower

TylerCiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Sure, those are the pinouts of the magsafe, but Im asking of the battery pinouts.

Unfortunatly I dont know anyone who posses a macbook in my city.

If I plug the connector in a macbook pro (a1181), it will turn green, without needing to bypass the SMC, neither resetting it (but it will not turn on until I bypass the SMC).

I will get a proper charger anyway. Still, I want to know the battery pinouts.

Last edited:

TylerCiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
After resetting the NVRAM on the macbook pro, it can see the battery, but its already depleted.

So I dont really think this is a problem of the charger. Anyway, wednesday I will have a new charger, I will update this (but most probably it will change nothing).

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Sure, those are the pinouts of the magsafe, but Im asking of the battery pinouts.

Unfortunatly I dont know anyone who posses a macbook in my city.

If I plug the connector in a macbook pro (a1181), it will turn green, without needing to bypass the SMC, neither resetting it (but it will not turn on until I bypass the SMC).

I will get a proper charger anyway. Still, I want to know the battery pinouts.

I know not sure where you will find that. What does system profiler say about the battery?

TylerCiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
@CRIM44
The problem was I couldnt see the battery because I couldn't turn on the lap without doing the bypass which makes the laptop to dont see the battery.

I found the problem with my lap, is really silly, but it's what it is. The battery connector to the logic board has to be pretty pretty into the plastic connector for the logic board to recognize it.

Now I can turn on the macbook air without doing the bypass, and it has 662 cycle with 4660mAh from a total of 5500mAh from the original design.

There is still something that bothers me. I can turn on the lap with the hp charger (18v 4amp), but still there is no light (the connector is from an original magsafe) and you have to remember I can get light in the macbook of my friend. I managed to get an original magsafe 60w and I have green light, but its almost dark and in my friend macbook the light is much brighter. Another thing, it's that I understand that if the battery is charging the magsafe light should be amber and not green.

The system profiler says that the battery is not charging, but I can see with coconut battery that it really is charging.

P.D.
Yet, I think its a good idea to people know the pinout layout if someone is trying to revive a problematic macbook air battery.

Last edited:

TylerCiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
Bump :d

well, the problem wasnt fixed u_u
i should delete my last post.

I havent updated this because I havent got a genuine magsafe charger until Febraury.

2eBqd

With the battery drained, I couldnt boot up the mac but with the 10 segs power on trick.

When I finally got the magsafe, after a lot of testing, I could manage to "normal" boot up (but still no charging). What I did is to reset the SMC and while the battery plugged and the magsafe plugged, wait a few minutes... Then it would turn on.

The MBA won't charge correctly the battery (no "charging" legend, neither green light in the magsafe), but it does in fact, charge it. It charges about 3mAH per minute (about 11 hours to fully charge).

As you can see in the picture, the battery has grown up the maximum charge. When this has happened, were times that I used the MBA with just the battery and drained until it has just 30% of charge.

Im still looking for someone having a MBA late 2008 to test if its my battery =/.

PD.- I bought a DC Jack IN, but the problem persists :p

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
well, the problem wasnt fixed u_u
i should delete my last post.

I havent updated this because I havent got a genuine magsafe charger until Febraury.

With the battery drained, I couldnt boot up the mac but with the 10 segs power on trick.

When I finally got the magsafe, after a lot of testing, I could manage to "normal" boot up (but still no charging). What I did is to reset the SMC and while the battery plugged and the magsafe plugged, wait a few minutes... Then it would turn on.

The MBA won't charge correctly the battery (no "charging" legend, neither green light in the magsafe), but it does in fact, charge it. It charges about 3mAH per minute (about 11 hours to fully charge).

As you can see in the picture, the battery has grown up the maximum charge. When this has happened, were times that I used the MBA with just the battery and drained until it has just 30% of charge.

Im still looking for someone having a MBA late 2008 to test if its my battery =/.

PD.- I bought a DC Jack IN, but the problem persists :p

Going by the sheer effort it's needed to get to this stage, I'm going to vote for the MLB. Very rarely does a battery cause a non-charging issue if it's detected.

If the DCIN was the problem, the machine wouldn't power on at all.

TylerCiggy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2012
By MLB you mean the motherboard ?

I've read several cases when changing the DC jack in fix the problem, but it's not my case unfortunatly =/

skinny*k

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
California
Tyler, there is a good troubleshooting thread here, http://forums. macrumors. com/showthread. php?t=1122338, where you should be able to find your symptoms, and get a better idea of what the problem is. All of the MagSafe MacBooks are very similar in the way that they work, but the components are arranged differently, and many of the components are tied in to other systems; some of the DC IN boards contain only the MagSafe connector, while others contain battery charging circuitry and non-related components.

The thread is long, but I think that you will find answers there.

Vegaz666

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2016
Hi.

I've been searching the internet for a lot of hours and I can't find the pinout layout of a macbook air battery.

Here is my problem.
A friend gave me his old macbook air (Macbook Air mid 2009 A1304 1.8ghz non ssd hd, 45w charger, battery A1245) , which didn't turn on and the genius told him that he need to replace the hard drive and some internal component (I assumed the dc jack in).

Indeed, the laptop wouldn't turn on. I managed to turn it on using the old smc trick, pushing the power button for 5 segs without energy in the charger and then connecting the charger to the energy and having pushed the power button for another 5 more seconds.

The hard drive was ok, it only needed a zero's write format.

The OSX tell's me that there is no battery connected. In fact, the led of the magsafe connector never turns on in any color, but it does in a macbook pro of a friend.

I've tried:

resetting the nvram
resetting the SMC with the shift command power
resetting the SMC with the 10 segs power button (in fact, everytime I want to turn on the mac when disconnecting from the AC)
sleep -> awake -> reset -> shutdown
upgrading the EFI and SMC firmware (osx say's it doesnt need that update)

I know Im doing "ok" the SMC reset because I did it too while the MBA it's on, and it just power off the laptop, but doesnt let me turn in it on again unless I do the 10 segs power button smc reset

So I want to manually charge the battery, but I dont find the pinout layout anywhere.

I know most probably everyone is gonna say "buy a new battery", but I kinda know the battery is functional, because the early times I could turn it on, the battery held a little power and I could turn on the mac without the charger.

I've tried 14v, 16v and 18v chargers, none of them turn on any of the leds of the magsafe connector.

Can somone help me letting me know where are the energy pins ?
[doublepost=1467095136][/doublepost]
Tyler, there is a good troubleshooting thread here, http://forums. macrumors. com/showthread. php?t=1122338, where you should be able to find your symptoms, and get a better idea of what the problem is. All of the MagSafe MacBooks are very similar in the way that they work, but the components are arranged differently, and many of the components are tied in to other systems; some of the DC IN boards contain only the MagSafe connector, while others contain battery charging circuitry and non-related components.

The thread is long, but I think that you will find answers there.

Hi all u need to do is take the battery apart and find the large red and black wires strip them away a little bit and connect them to a four button hobby charger set the charger for LIFO/L I ON battery 4160 mAh three cell IPO
[doublepost=1467095241][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1467095136][/doublepost]

Hi all u need to do is take the battery apart and find the large red and black wires strip them away a little bit and connect them to a four button hobby charger set the charger for LIFO/L I ON battery 4160 mAh three cell IPO
image.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.