Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
skateny
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Smile Is there a way to hook up iBook to TV?

I know this sounds like a newbie question, but I've never been interested in this and, as a result, have read almost nothing about it.

If this is possible, would the quality of the video be degraded?

Thanks for any and all help.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
zackkmac
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tulsa
I know it has VGA output with a max resolution of 1024x768. So it probably would not look too great on a TV.
__________________
27" iMac 3.5GHz i7, 780M 4GB, 32GB RAM, 3TB Fusion Drive
15" MacBook Pro 2.2GHz i7, Hi-Res AG, 16GB RAM, 960GB SSD, Blu-Ray SuperDrive
13" MacBook Pro 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD
zackkmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:52 PM   #3
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ireland
What TV do you want to connect it to?

This the only reason I didn't go for an iBook - mini-VGA and the 32mb of VRAM while the PB has 128mb and DVI, so it can use HDMI.
__________________
iMac G4 17'' 1.25GHz PowerBook G4 15'' Hi-Res 1.67GHz iMac 2012 21.5" 2.9GHz i5
It's spelled "Aluminium"
It's "Couldn't care less" not "Could care less"
ihuman:D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a
 
cocacolakid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
You can do it, but it depends on the inputs on your TV as to how well it will look. If your TV has a VGA input it should be fine, just directly connect to the iBook. You'll probably want to adjust the display settings on the iBook. Playing video on the TV might be a problem because the iBook's do not have much VRAM compared to current Macs, but if you just want to surf the web, play photo slideshows, music, etc., it should be fine.

If your TV only has HDMI or DVI inputs you will need an adapter. Since VGA is analog and HDMI and DVI are digital, it's not as easy as a simple, inexpensive adapter, you actually need a small box that converts the analog signal to digital. Those start around $30 and up, and have mixed reviews, perhaps because people are expecting current HDMI picture quality when that's not realistic.

The $30 budget priced converters seem to have very poor reviews, with many reporting failure within a few days. So if you do go that route, read up so you buy a model with a good track record. Some of them are over $100.
__________________
2012 Mini 2.3 i7 Samsung 840 250 GB SSD 16GB RAM
2012 13" MBP Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM
TBD, iPad 4, iPhone 4S
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
skateny
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
You can do it, but it depends on the inputs on your TV as to how well it will look. If your TV has a VGA input it should be fine, just directly connect to the iBook. You'll probably want to adjust the display settings on the iBook. Playing video on the TV might be a problem because the iBook's do not have much VRAM compared to current Macs, but if you just want to surf the web, play photo slideshows, music, etc., it should be fine.

If your TV only has HDMI or DVI inputs you will need an adapter. Since VGA is analog and HDMI and DVI are digital, it's not as easy as a simple, inexpensive adapter, you actually need a small box that converts the analog signal to digital. Those start around $30 and up, and have mixed reviews, perhaps because people are expecting current HDMI picture quality when that's not realistic.

The $30 budget priced converters seem to have very poor reviews, with many reporting failure within a few days. So if you do go that route, read up so you buy a model with a good track record. Some of them are over $100.
Hi and thanks.

I have both VGA and newer sets. What type of cables would I need to hook it up to the VGA model?
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:54 PM   #6
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a
 
cocacolakid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
Hi and thanks.

I have both VGA and newer sets. What type of cables would I need to hook it up to the VGA model?
If you don't have the Apple mini VGA to VGA adapter, you'll need one of those:

http://www.gomacpro.com/apple-mini-v...c-and-imac-g4/

And then a male to male VGA cable to run from that to your HDTV.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...rd=vga%20cable

Monoprice is a great place for cables of all types, however they do not have the mini-VGA to VGA cable, so I linked to another site above. Check around, that might not be the best price, it's just the first one with a clear photo and explanation of what it is.

Monoprice has the VGA cables in every length imaginable.

Also note, that "officially" Apple only permitted mirroring of the iBook's display to another display, but there are supposedly hacks out there to allow use as a second display. I'm not familiar with that so can't help you, but again, the limited VRAM of that iBook likely wouldn't play well with a second display. You'd probably get lag and very poor frames per second on video, dropped video, etc., which you might get on mirroring too.

It will probably cost you $20-25 to get both cables with shipping to try mirroring on the HDTV. The good news though is you'll have the cables and be able to use the iBook with a larger display even if it's just a larger screen monitor instead of the TV.
__________________
2012 Mini 2.3 i7 Samsung 840 250 GB SSD 16GB RAM
2012 13" MBP Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM
TBD, iPad 4, iPhone 4S
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:40 PM   #7
skateny
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
If you don't have the Apple mini VGA to VGA adapter, you'll need one of those:

http://www.gomacpro.com/apple-mini-v...c-and-imac-g4/

And then a male to male VGA cable to run from that to your HDTV.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...rd=vga%20cable

Monoprice is a great place for cables of all types, however they do not have the mini-VGA to VGA cable, so I linked to another site above. Check around, that might not be the best price, it's just the first one with a clear photo and explanation of what it is.

Monoprice has the VGA cables in every length imaginable.

Also note, that "officially" Apple only permitted mirroring of the iBook's display to another display, but there are supposedly hacks out there to allow use as a second display. I'm not familiar with that so can't help you, but again, the limited VRAM of that iBook likely wouldn't play well with a second display. You'd probably get lag and very poor frames per second on video, dropped video, etc., which you might get on mirroring too.

It will probably cost you $20-25 to get both cables with shipping to try mirroring on the HDTV. The good news though is you'll have the cables and be able to use the iBook with a larger display even if it's just a larger screen monitor instead of the TV.
If I attempt this, it's more out of fun than necessity, so operability isn't a huge factor, and the cost certainly makes it worth it.

Thank you so much.
__________________
Etcha-Sketch, Classic Red; Kenner Easy-Show Projector, First Gen.
skateny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000
 
MisterKeeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Here is the link to the hack:
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imac hd hook up 2011myzen iMac 4 Sep 9, 2013 11:27 PM
How should I hook up my time capsule brsboarder Mac Peripherals 4 Jun 21, 2013 07:30 AM
Best way to hook up this Viewsonic? Chevelle Mac mini 1 Nov 27, 2012 07:46 PM
Hook up 2008 MacBook to lg tv Gvbrink Mac Basics and Help 0 Aug 2, 2012 02:12 PM
iPad: How to hook ipad to tv firemedicmark Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Jun 26, 2012 05:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC