Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:07 AM   #1
skateny
macrumors 6502

Smile Is there a way to hook up iBook to TV?

I know this sounds like a newbie question, but I've never been interested in this and, as a result, have read almost nothing about it.

If this is possible, would the quality of the video be degraded?

Thanks for any and all help.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:38 PM   #2
zackkmac
macrumors 6502a

I know it has VGA output with a max resolution of 1024x768. So it probably would not look too great on a TV.
zackkmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:52 PM   #3
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a

What TV do you want to connect it to?

This the only reason I didn't go for an iBook - mini-VGA and the 32mb of VRAM while the PB has 128mb and DVI, so it can use HDMI.
ihuman:D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:56 PM   #4
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a

You can do it, but it depends on the inputs on your TV as to how well it will look. If your TV has a VGA input it should be fine, just directly connect to the iBook. You'll probably want to adjust the display settings on the iBook. Playing video on the TV might be a problem because the iBook's do not have much VRAM compared to current Macs, but if you just want to surf the web, play photo slideshows, music, etc., it should be fine.

If your TV only has HDMI or DVI inputs you will need an adapter. Since VGA is analog and HDMI and DVI are digital, it's not as easy as a simple, inexpensive adapter, you actually need a small box that converts the analog signal to digital. Those start around $30 and up, and have mixed reviews, perhaps because people are expecting current HDMI picture quality when that's not realistic.

The $30 budget priced converters seem to have very poor reviews, with many reporting failure within a few days. So if you do go that route, read up so you buy a model with a good track record. Some of them are over $100.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
You can do it, but it depends on the inputs on your TV as to how well it will look. If your TV has a VGA input it should be fine, just directly connect to the iBook. You'll probably want to adjust the display settings on the iBook. Playing video on the TV might be a problem because the iBook's do not have much VRAM compared to current Macs, but if you just want to surf the web, play photo slideshows, music, etc., it should be fine.

If your TV only has HDMI or DVI inputs you will need an adapter. Since VGA is analog and HDMI and DVI are digital, it's not as easy as a simple, inexpensive adapter, you actually need a small box that converts the analog signal to digital. Those start around $30 and up, and have mixed reviews, perhaps because people are expecting current HDMI picture quality when that's not realistic.

The $30 budget priced converters seem to have very poor reviews, with many reporting failure within a few days. So if you do go that route, read up so you buy a model with a good track record. Some of them are over $100.
Hi and thanks.

I have both VGA and newer sets. What type of cables would I need to hook it up to the VGA model?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:54 PM   #6
cocacolakid
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skateny View Post
Hi and thanks.

I have both VGA and newer sets. What type of cables would I need to hook it up to the VGA model?
If you don't have the Apple mini VGA to VGA adapter, you'll need one of those:

http://www.gomacpro.com/apple-mini-v...c-and-imac-g4/

And then a male to male VGA cable to run from that to your HDTV.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...rd=vga%20cable

Monoprice is a great place for cables of all types, however they do not have the mini-VGA to VGA cable, so I linked to another site above. Check around, that might not be the best price, it's just the first one with a clear photo and explanation of what it is.

Monoprice has the VGA cables in every length imaginable.

Also note, that "officially" Apple only permitted mirroring of the iBook's display to another display, but there are supposedly hacks out there to allow use as a second display. I'm not familiar with that so can't help you, but again, the limited VRAM of that iBook likely wouldn't play well with a second display. You'd probably get lag and very poor frames per second on video, dropped video, etc., which you might get on mirroring too.

It will probably cost you $20-25 to get both cables with shipping to try mirroring on the HDTV. The good news though is you'll have the cables and be able to use the iBook with a larger display even if it's just a larger screen monitor instead of the TV.
cocacolakid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:40 PM   #7
skateny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolakid View Post
If you don't have the Apple mini VGA to VGA adapter, you'll need one of those:

http://www.gomacpro.com/apple-mini-v...c-and-imac-g4/

And then a male to male VGA cable to run from that to your HDTV.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...rd=vga%20cable

Monoprice is a great place for cables of all types, however they do not have the mini-VGA to VGA cable, so I linked to another site above. Check around, that might not be the best price, it's just the first one with a clear photo and explanation of what it is.

Monoprice has the VGA cables in every length imaginable.

Also note, that "officially" Apple only permitted mirroring of the iBook's display to another display, but there are supposedly hacks out there to allow use as a second display. I'm not familiar with that so can't help you, but again, the limited VRAM of that iBook likely wouldn't play well with a second display. You'd probably get lag and very poor frames per second on video, dropped video, etc., which you might get on mirroring too.

It will probably cost you $20-25 to get both cables with shipping to try mirroring on the HDTV. The good news though is you'll have the cables and be able to use the iBook with a larger display even if it's just a larger screen monitor instead of the TV.
If I attempt this, it's more out of fun than necessity, so operability isn't a huge factor, and the cost certainly makes it worth it.

Thank you so much.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:31 PM   #8
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Here is the link to the hack:
http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/supportlist_e.html
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs