Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:21 PM   #1
SpaceKitty
Banned

iTunes Metadata Is Grayed Out, Can't Edit

I can't edit any of my songs in iTunes. Selections are grayed out. How can I fix this, thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-02-15 at 12.16.35 PM.png
Views:	29
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	324527  
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 02:30 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKitty View Post
I can't edit any of my songs in iTunes. Selections are grayed out. How can I fix this, thanks!
Have you restarted iTunes? Restarted your computer? Are the songs located on an external drive? If so, is it mounted properly? Can you right-click and Show in Finder?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2012, 01:27 AM   #3
jwheadrick
macrumors newbie

File permissions

I had a similar problem with some movies that I had in iTunes. I still haven't figured out how it happened, but the ownership/file permissions were messed up. Some were owned by me and were fully open (777) while others were owned by root and permissions were set at 744. To fix this, I ran this line while in terminal,

Code:
sudo chmod 777 /Path/To/File/filename.m4v
This will prompt for your admin password. You can do the same thing with other files, but you should make sure that it won't interfere with what a system admin may have set (if it's a work computer)

(tip: to easily get the path to your file, you can simply drag the file into terminal and the full path will automagically be insterted)
jwheadrick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Just-me
macrumors newbie

jwheadrick, thanks.

Tried that in Mountain L.
Doesn't work. I wrote the following in Terminal:

SEs-MBP:~ Dad$ sudo chmod 777 /Users/Dad/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music/2012-11-11\ iRip/Alice\ Deejay/Who\ Needs\ Guitars\ Anyway\?/Better\ Off\ Alone.m4a

and gives me the following message:
SEs-MBP:~ Dad$ 123qwe
-bash: 123qwe: command not found

Any ideas what would be the right one for ML?

(BTW, after reading about the problems with permissions, with other songs I just went to the info and changed the permissions from there, but with this particular one also the lock in the info is grayed out).

FOUND THE REASON: instead of Cmd+I I was clicking Option+Cmd+I (for a general info, for several files) and THAT gave me the grayed out lock, but when I did just Cmd+I could change permissions.

Last edited by Just-me; Nov 14, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
Just-me is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store