Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Why 2010 in particular?

It's last mini with native SL support, has better graphics card than 2009 and it's upgradeable to 16GB RAM (you need to find correct modules, but it works). You can run SL on 2011 mini, but it requires some tweaks.

If you'd use CS3 only, 2011 or current mini would be good choice too.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Yikes! I can't keep up with all the posts!

Back to leahkat, the OP...my thoughts boil down to, if there isn't anything really wrong with your current set-up, do whatever you can to avoid having to do a needless upgrade...yeah, more recent hardware will be faster (physically) but, if you have workflows you are happy with right now, that will be faster than having to learn new ways of doing things.

You ran Disk Utility and it didn't solve the problem? Sometimes repeated running of the Disk Utility will help. If you have the install disks, you can also boot up from the install DVD and run Disk Utility from DVD. Sometimes that can help (I wouldn't reinstall the OS yet).

You ran Disk Warrior, but it said it couldn't help? I would try alternating between Disk Utility and Disk Warrior once or twice, and see if that made any improvements.

Back in the Classic OS days, I used to run TechTool and had good luck with it repairing drives. You may be able to pick up a copy of TechTool cheap, esp. since it was included as a CD with AppleCare...

Other people may have other disk repair recommendations. Each program works differently, and if one can't help, the other may.

Also, not to get too lengthy...BUT...I would clone your current disk to a new disk (my favorite program is SuperDuper!), and then start monkeying around with the cloned drive. That way, if something goes wrong, you always have your original drive to get back to. I'm a scaredy cat...and knowing I can always go back to the way things were originally gives me a lot of peace of mind to really try to fix things.

Let me know if you can find out where the funny noise is coming from. I'm assuming you don't have a bird's nest in your Mac...like I said before, there aren't too many moving parts internally.

Finally, you can always upgrade to a "new" used Mac, but I don't think you are there yet (knock on wood). We can go more into that when you have tried more disk repair suggestions.

leahkat

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
I'm going to say a fan is failing or acting strange. Failing hard drives rarely, if ever, sound like a bird. They usually sound like clicking or a grinding noise.

Let me know if you can find out where the funny noise is coming from. I'm assuming you don't have a bird's nest in your Mac...like I said before, there aren't too many moving parts internally.

Ok, the noise seems to be coming from the little tiny fan under the board. So apparently, I've got a squeaky fan and a 'hosed' file system! Good news- no bird nest in there! :)

Correction: Squeaky fan on the underside of the video card

Last edited:

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Ok, the noise seems to be coming from the little tiny fan under the board. So apparently, I've got a squeaky fan and a 'hosed' file system! Good news- no bird nest in there! :)

Correction: Squeaky fan on the underside of the video card

Time to blow the dust out! A can of compressed air will be better than blowing, as you don't want to accidentally "spit" on any of the hardware.

You will be amazed at how dust can accumulate in there. Also, pet hair, unfortunately...

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Which G4 Power Mac is it?

--
Also, have you made a current backup just in case your hard drive actually is dying so you don't lose anything?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.