Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Hi,

Im planning to buy an ipad mini and would like to get some clarifications.

1) Does the airplay it app handles smoothly of streaming 720p and 1080p videos over local network(wifi)?. What other apps are there which can stream movies from PC to ipad mini better?

2) Can i load avi files and play it via some third party app? If so, which is the best for doing that

Thanks,
Srikant

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
1.) I think you're a little confused on what AirPlay does. AirPlay sends audio/video from iTunes or an iOS device to your TV or AirPlay compatible receiver. iTunes does not support sending video to your iPad via AirPlay. (You do however have access to your iTunes library when at home or on the same network as your iTunes computer.) **If you want to send video from iTunes to your iPad via Home Sharing, I'd recommend using Handbrake to encode those AVI's as an iPad friendly format.**

2.) Yes, it can play non-supported files like AVI's with a 3rd party app. You will probably need something like Media Player HD Pro ($1.99). I don't play any AVI's or MKV's so there may be a better app on the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.