Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Coming from windows, I was using Filezilla, what can I use for FREE on Mac as my FTP app?

I don't want to use Filezilla for Mac seeing it's a port version.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
While it ain't free, I bought YummyFTP from the Mac App Store. Superb.

Was using Filezilla previously, purely because I use it on a Windows computer at work and it had a few clunks to it.

YummyFTP, well worth the price tag.

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
FileZilla is a pretty good, free FTP app for the Mac.
But if you want a really good one, you have to pay.

Currently I'm using Transmit ($19,99) and it is the money more than worth. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why not use the default and included FTP client to OSX?

I use transmit, its not free but imo, its the best out there

hakuin

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
Filezilla works just fine for me, better than Transmit in some ways. I would try it before you dismiss it.

Cyberduck is another free FTP client that's fairly popular.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I tried a couple and settled on YummyFTP and the best fit for my needs. Oddly it was cheaper to buy from the App store than their web site.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Cyberduck..

Frankly , i hate Filezilla to... not because its a port (most apps would be ports of at least something).... I couldn't care less, just as long as it works, but in filezilla, there is no say to pause/resume at a later date. You can Only cancel and stop which erased everything in the queue.

As least Cyberduck saves whats been done and wheres it up to. Or maybe i'm doing it wrong.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Wow no other suggestions for CuteFTP??..... I don't think you guys know what you are missing in terms of download speeds with CuteFTP's multi-threaded downloads. Ive used all other suggested FTP apps and Cute blows them all out of the water.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Cyberduck..

Frankly , i hate Filezilla to... not because its a port (most apps would be ports of at least something).... I couldn't care less, just as long as it works, but in filezilla, there is no say to pause/resume at a later date. You can Only cancel and stop which erased everything in the queue.

As least Cyberduck saves whats been done and wheres it up to. Or maybe i'm doing it wrong.

You can pause and resume with FileZilla. I very much dislike when users don't investigate features and claim an app doesn't have certain functionality when indeed it does.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm now on the hunt for a replacement because only now did I realize Cyberduck requires Java, and I'm done with Java. Transmit looks promising. Not free though.

Oh, and Forklift ain't free either, I had a former version, something like 1.5.x, it's 2.0 now and has quite some improvements over the old one.

Shame CyberDuck is Java, it's a good App though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.