Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jharlin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Hey, all -

I tried searching the forums, but didn't have much luck. I'm struggling to figure out how much and what kind of RAM I can put into my machine and was hoping for some help.

I have a Mac Pro:
Mid 2010
Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Lots of people have been telling me to use Crucial.com to figure out how much memory and what kind to get.

However, Crucial keeps telling me I have 4 memory slots. My System Report keeps telling me I have 8 slots. Apple's website says that 8 slots should be expandable up to 64GB of RAM.

I'd love to max it out to 64GB, but I don't know what kind I can get. I've been cautioned against Kingston, but that's about all I know.

Can anyone help? I'm desperate right now.

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Here is a good place to start your research on how much memory can your model take, just scroll down to the 2nd table. Since you have a 12-core model with 8 memory slots, using 8GB modules, you can have 64GB (8x8GB) in total. Using 16GB modules, you can have up to 96GB (6x16GB) usable. Most 8GB and 16GB ECC memory modules are also registered (or buffered), so they can not be mixed with unbuffered modules currently in your machine. I would not recommend OWC memory since they are way overpriced. If you are planning to install 8GB modules, it really doesn't matter which brand as long as you get lifetime warranty.

One more thing, Mac Pro memory is basically no different from memory modules used in other servers/workstations, but also has thermal sesors. Kingston, for example, just uses normal ECC RAM modules with TS and relabels them for Mac Pro.

Last edited:

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Since you do have the dual processor model you do have eight ram slots... four for each processor.

The recommended type of ram is 1333MHz DDR3 ECC and Apple-approved ram will have the thermal sensors. Some vendors will do bundle deals of multipacks of ram if bought at the same time, say double or quad packs.

One other question you may come up against is "triple channel vs filling it all up". Putting the ram in the lower three slots on each processor is theoretically the "optimum" configuration but it is only by a small margin. With ram, "more" is usually better than "faster"... but do you actually *need* 64Gb? Are you going to be dramatically changing your workflow when moving from your 6Gb to the new amount or do you just want more because it is more? Would you be able to manage with two 3x8Gb packs?

When comparing vendors, make sure you are looking at the warranties. The good brands have the good warranties.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Hey, all -

I tried searching the forums, but didn't have much luck. I'm struggling to figure out how much and what kind of RAM I can put into my machine and was hoping for some help.

I have a Mac Pro:
Mid 2010
Processor 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Memory 6 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Can anyone help? I'm desperate right now.

I have used http://www.datamemorysystems.com/ for years, never had a single module from them go bad. Their website has a menu system to figure out what RAM is best for you machine. Or call them as they have great tech support and will answer the phone.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.