Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
SilverKeeper does not work in Lion, it gets messed up quickly and dies after working a few times.
So I am trying out other solutions. I do not use a true sync function, I want to specify a Master folder (on the internal HD or an external drive) and have the app do a one-way sync on the specfied Slave folder - so the two folders are identical to the original master folder.So far I have had mixed results using Synkron, it works for most folders, but destroys some file in my PowerMail data folder when backing that folder up to another computer.:eek:
I can get PowerMail working again with a simple finder copy (overwriting the slave folder).
Anyother suggestions for a replacement for SilverKeeper?

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Silverkeeper

SilverKeeper does not work in Lion, it gets messed up quickly and dies after working a few times.
So I am trying out other solutions. I do not use a true sync function, I want to specify a Master folder (on the internal HD or an external drive) and have the app do a one-way sync on the specfied Slave folder - so the two folders are identical to the original master folder.So far I have had mixed results using Synkron, it works for most folders, but destroys some file in my PowerMail data folder when backing that folder up to another computer.:eek:
I can get PowerMail working again with a simple finder copy (overwriting the slave folder).
Anyother suggestions for a replacement for SilverKeeper?

First, thanks for the warning! Yet another reason to not abandon Snow Leopard.

Second, I am led to believe that Carbon Copy Cloner would do what you want - BUT - I have not tested it (staying with Snow Leopard).

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"Anyother suggestions for a replacement for SilverKeeper?"

CarbonCopyCloner.

One of the best pieces of Mac software "out there" right now. And it's free.

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I've used SilverKeeper for some years and am currently running it on Snow Leopard. I'm glad I saw your post. CarbonCopyCloner sounds interesting. I'll also stick with Snow Leopard for now, however.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
I've used SilverKeeper for some years and am currently running it on Snow Leopard. I'm glad I saw your post. CarbonCopyCloner sounds interesting. I'll also stick with Snow Leopard for now, however.
CCCis great for copying from the internal HD to the external, but I cannot set it up to do the opposite, must be doing something wrong,,,,,it won't let me select the drive it has started up from on the righthand panel:confused:.
Also, unlike SilverKeeper, it doesn't make it easy to have several separate backup sets available.
CCC's main use is to create a bootable cloned disk, and for that purpose it is one of the best solutions available.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Siverkeeper

CCCis great for copying from the internal HD to the external, but I cannot set it up to do the opposite, must be doing something wrong,,,,,it won't let me select the drive it has started up from on the righthand panel:confused:.
Also, unlike SilverKeeper, it doesn't make it easy to have several separate backup sets available.
CCC's main use is to create a bootable cloned disk, and for that purpose it is one of the best solutions available.

Ok, thanks for the info on CCC.

FWIW, my latest La Cie ext drive came with Intego Backup Assistant, rather than Silverkeeper. I have not used it but it may replicate the Silverkeeper features.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I think you are doing things backwards. When making your selections in CCC it will always move data from the left (source) drop down to the right (destination). So in my screen cap below I am moving data from the USB key labelled "Backup" to a folder called "Files" on my internal HDD. So for your example you would select the external drive as source on the left and the internal drive folder as destination on the right.

You can easily configure backup sets. Just select whatever you want as source and destination then click "Schedule this task" (marked in my screen cap) and the window in my second screen cap will come up. Name your scheduled task and set your options then save it and you now have a backup set. You can have CCC run the backup set manually, at a set time interval, or even automatically when the destination drive is connected.

20120127-qfcqra6ihhhau4kw2hj5jyf66f.jpg

20120127-eawnt38sfkd86hgk4h2y7m4ihi.jpg

dcsteve

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
London
Silverkeeper

I'm still using Silverkeeper under 10.8.2 and it works like a charm... Backing up 2 external volumes from our server to a portable drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.