Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hey, today I came back with around 1,000 photos from wakeboarding, taken at high speed, of various tricks in sequences.

I have trimmed the fat and now have perhaps 150 photos, with a different folder for each five-ten shot sequence. The folder are named J1, J2, J3 for jumps; B1, B2 and B3 for box and C1, C2, C3 etc for carving.

I'd now like to order them for a Facebook album, so they might go C2, J1, C3, B3, J4, C1 and so forth.

What ideas/programs/methods do you have for easily organising these sequences?

If there is a program which can allow me to shuffle the order of these folders around, then rename them all the files to go 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg etc that would be ideal.

Thanks

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
You can do this in iPhoto. You just need to use albums then reorder the photos as you wish. For example, import all your photos to iPhoto as a single event called "wakeboarding". Then create a different album for each kind of trick ("jumps", "carving", etc) & drag over your photos to the appropriate album. Once you've done that, you can create another album called "facebook" and drag over the photos you want to upload - within that album you can then reorder the photos however you wish. Albums are virtual, so changing the order in one has no effect on the others.

Aperture lets you do it too (again, using albums), as will Lightroom (using collections) or any other Digital Asset Management software.

Hope that helps.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Aperture supports "stacks"... which is a fantastic capability. You can auto-stack... and then all of the photos within the time frame can be used and manipulated as a single photo. You can also manually stack... or unstack pictures that do not belong in a stack.

Stacks make it extremely convenient to deal with large numbers of similar photos... like you are doing with showing many photos in sequence. It is also extremely useful in other types of photos (such as sports photography) where you want just the best of a sequence of photos. An example might be a baseball batter making contact with the ball. Inside of the stack... you create a "stack pick"... and that one photo becomes the "key photo" wherever it is used. All the photos remain in the stack, but only that photo is displayed. You can use the same stack in different places, with a different "album pick" specific to each album.

So independent if you want to use a sequence of photos (as you describe)... or a mechanism of using a single "best of" photo for a specific purpose... Aperture stacks, stack pics, and album pics can dramatically improve your workflow.

All of the other things that you mentioned... re-ordering photos, renaming them on export, etc are all trivially easy to do with Aperture.

/Jim

Last edited:

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I just uploaded 110 photos from a wedding directly from Lightroom. By default they are placed in the order that I added them to the publish catalog. In this case there wasn't much need to reorder them except I did want to move two pictures. If you edit the album in FB you can drag the images into any order you want.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Excellent, I do have Aperture. One thing.. My iMac, which is where I keep all my photos and upload them to Facebook is in storage until October.

I have my MacBook, which also has Aperture. If I load the photos onto Aperture on my MacBook, then onto Facebook, is there any way of moving them onto my iMac, without losing all the comments etc?

Otherwise, I could compromise by loading them into Aperture, organising them into stacks, then pulling them back into my desktop and uploading manually?

This way they wouldn't be linked to my Macbook's Aperture at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
If I load the photos onto Aperture on my MacBook, then onto Facebook, is there any way of moving them onto my iMac, without losing all the comments etc?

Your best bet would be to create a new aperture library on your macbook just for this job, then import your photos as "managed" files. That way all the photos will live inside that library. When you're ready to move the photos over to your imac all you need to do is copy that library icon over using an external drive. Doing it this way gets around any difficulties with broken paths to referenced files, etc.

Once you've successfully moved it over to your imac you can merge the wakeboarding library with your current imac library, remove the photos from being managed to being referenced if you wish, or do anything else you need to.

Hope that helps.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Thanks very much. In terms of loading them to Facebook, if I did this direct through Aperture, then presumably they'd disappear off Facebook once I moved the photos back off my Macbook's Aperture library?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Excellent, I do have Aperture. One thing.. My iMac, which is where I keep all my photos and upload them to Facebook is in storage until October.

I have my MacBook, which also has Aperture. If I load the photos onto Aperture on my MacBook, then onto Facebook, is there any way of moving them onto my iMac, without losing all the comments etc?

Otherwise, I could compromise by loading them into Aperture, organising them into stacks, then pulling them back into my desktop and uploading manually?

This way they wouldn't be linked to my Macbook's Aperture at least.

As Swardio777 said, it is easy to do. Aperture is designed to move projects from one machine to another machine easily. I also agree that keeping it "managed" on your MacBook would be easiest... because you just copy the entire library over (or run it from an external).

----------

Thanks very much. In terms of loading them to Facebook, if I did this direct through Aperture, then presumably they'd disappear off Facebook once I moved the photos back off my Macbook's Aperture library?

I do not think they remain connected to your Aperture library once uploaded to FB. I could be wrong... but I do not think so.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.