Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
DuganRun
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nottingham, England.
How did website get my number?

Hi Forum,

I'm new to the iphone and today my network lifted the restricted access on my phone so I tested it by visiting an adult content site, on opening the homepage which is as far as I got I read that by visiting I was agreeing to conditions and my details being passed to a third party so I immediately closed the page, after 2 minutes I was sent a message from the site I visited which contained a link, I didn't reply or click the link but what I'd like to know is how that site got my number?

I don't have autofill activated and I certainly didn't give my number, I'm just worried that I've now opened myself up to a world of spam.

Thanks.
DuganRun is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:39 PM   #2
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuganRun View Post
Hi Forum,

I'm new to the iphone and today my network lifted the restricted access on my phone so I tested it by visiting an adult content site, on opening the homepage which is as far as I got I read that by visiting I was agreeing to conditions and my details being passed to a third party so I immediately closed the page, after 2 minutes I was sent a message from the site I visited which contained a link, I didn't reply or click the link but what I'd like to know is how that site got my number?

I don't have autofill activated and I certainly didn't give my number, I'm just worried that I've now opened myself up to a world of spam.

Thanks.
Now that's weird. I've never had one text my number. Sure I've gotten loads of junk mail but I have no idea if its because of places I've been or my email just got spread around like an STD.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:17 AM   #3
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Now that's weird. I've never had one text my number. Sure I've gotten loads of junk mail but I have no idea if its because of places I've been or my email just got spread around like an STD.
Adult websites sending you junk mail? Nice choice of words there
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:25 AM   #4
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
You may have actually got that message through a pop up on safari. Go into settings, safari, and make sure block pop ups is turned on. Then on same page, go into advanced, website data, edit and remove all website data.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:04 AM   #5
DuganRun
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nottingham, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
You may have actually got that message through a pop up on safari. Go into settings, safari, and make sure block pop ups is turned on. Then on same page, go into advanced, website data, edit and remove all website data.
A pop up is able to obtain my phone number?
DuganRun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Feed Me
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Location Location
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuganRun View Post
A pop up is able to obtain my phone number?
I shouldn't think so...

What exactly did the message about passing your details on say?
Feed Me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:16 AM   #7
darster
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuganRun View Post
A pop up is able to obtain my phone number?
Did the message actually show up in messages, or did it pop up on screen or in notification bar at top? If it popped up on screen, or in notification bar, it likely was a safari popup.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:23 AM   #8
DuganRun
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nottingham, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me View Post
I shouldn't think so...

What exactly did the message about passing your details on say?
It was more like small print that headed the webpage and it read like this: Upon visiting our site you agree to our terms and conditions and that your details be passed onto our third party, if you wish to opt out please text 'opt out' to 69***.

I realise this might have been bait for me to sms the 69*** number but I certainly didn't, I just can't get over how invasive and underhanded all this is, if something is in my message box does it necessarily mean it entered it via means of sms?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Did the message actually show up in messages, or did it pop up on screen or in notification bar at top? If it popped up on screen, or in notification bar, it likely was a safari popup.
Actually in my messages after I'd closed safari
DuganRun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:00 AM   #9
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
I would make sure that the company doesn't start making arbitrary charges with your phone number. I can't tell you how many times people (myself included) have filled online surveys unknowingly giving their phone number away only to find out that you inadvertently subscribed to some random service and get billed crazy amounts for it later. The cancellation process is a nightmare -- so the sooner you find out about it, the better.
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 7.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 4.2.1
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Apple Website cannot find Serial Number. BoyyFefe iPad 12 May 31, 2014 04:43 PM
Your Apple store order number is also your UPS reference number Gjwilly iPhone 0 Sep 23, 2013 09:36 AM
4S- Changed phone number, old number still shows up in messages dbabytro iPhone 4 Jul 18, 2013 01:58 PM
Serial number or phone number? davidra iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Mar 13, 2013 10:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC