Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wakeywarrior

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
I'm playing Witcher 2 in OSX on my base 27 inch (didn't want to pay £320 more to upgrade to higher version and add on 680 which is what it costs in UK for what will be sparodic gaming) and it plays pretty good. I have it on high settings, but the resolution at 1280 x 720- no problems with it at all. The lack of RAM on the card only makes a difference if you go for native resolution. It looks fine at 1280x720.

So anyone worried about gaming on base 27 inch iMac- don't- unless you want the most demanding games on the native resolution.

I have Fusion and upgraded the RAM to 24GB- don't think the RAM makes much if any difference to performance of Witcher 2 though.

loki101

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2012
London
The difference between 1440p and 720p is substantial. Obviously there is nothing wrong with enjoying the game at a low resolution! I can't wait till my iMac arrives on Monday, Witcher 2 is one of the first games I bought in anticipation (I am going to have quite a few games to play through this year).

messiry

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I'm playing Witcher 2 in OSX on my base 27 inch (didn't want to pay £320 more to upgrade to higher version and add on 680 which is what it costs in UK for what will be sparodic gaming) and it plays pretty good. I have it on high settings, but the resolution at 1280 x 720- no problems with it at all. The lack of RAM on the card only makes a difference if you go for native resolution. It looks fine at 1280x720.

So anyone worried about gaming on base 27 inch iMac- don't- unless you want the most demanding games on the native resolution.

I have Fusion and upgraded the RAM to 24GB- don't think the RAM makes much if any difference to performance of Witcher 2 though.

which GPU do you have, is it the 660m or the 675MX?

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
I'm playing the mac native version on my rig in my sig at 1080p at medium settings, HD 6970 1gb ram, runs great and looks great...awesome game as well.

swarleystinson

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
New York, NY
I'm playing the mac native version on my rig in my sig at 1080p at medium settings, HD 6970 1gb ram, runs great and looks great...awesome game as well.

What kind of fps are you getting? It ran like crap for me on my 6970m 2GB. I had the i7 also. I tried lowering all kinds of settings and I couldn't get it much above low 30s fps. It would immediately dip when exploring.

I just sold it for the new 680mx :).

Wakeywarrior

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
which GPU do you have, is it the 660m or the 675MX?

660. Just ran Dirt 2 on native res and it looks really good, much better than say a PS3, it was getting 99fps.

Will have to bootcamp, suspect it will run the likes of BF3 good at medium settings native res.

Dduval

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
What kind of fps are you getting? It ran like crap for me on my 6970m 2GB. I had the i7 also. I tried lowering all kinds of settings and I couldn't get it much above low 30s fps. It would immediately dip when exploring.

I just sold it for the new 680mx :).

All i had to to do was disable ubersampling and anti-aliasing and motion blur...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.