Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:47 PM   #1
john bacon
macrumors newbie

If Apple doesn't release a new iPod Touch this year.

Is it safe to buy it now knowing that there's a full year left until the next iteration?

Some developers have completely ignored the A4 processor for their newest games, and I'm seriously considering updating as long as it can be worthwhile.
john bacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:49 PM   #2
617aircav
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bacon View Post
Is it safe to buy it now knowing that there's a full year left until the next iteration?

Some developers have completely ignored the A4 processor for their newest games, and I'm seriously considering updating as long as it can be worthwhile.
What is preventing it from being safe?
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
dejo

Quote:
How do you know this?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Consultant
macrumors G5

Apple will release new iPod touch sometime after iPhone's release. Perhaps end of year or early next year will be the new iPod touch.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:41 AM   #5
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I think apple has moved all their product release to Sep - Oct now so you dont expect anything new from Jan to Aug 2014.

New Iphone/ipad should be Sep 10th. Maybe another even in Oct for new Ipod???, Ipod touch, nano, shuffle maybe. I dont think an upgrade to Ipod touch is necessary afterall it is competitionless. A 128gb version might be added but at 499, i wouldn't buy it. Price is more expensive than a notebook.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:

You will always find people posting that the next update is just around the corner no matter what time of year it is. Apple is the only one who knows for sure when they are releasing an update. We are close enough to October where I would probably wait to see if anything is coming out. I would then get one then even if it's the current 5th gen (I highly recommend it).
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:17 AM   #7
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular

I agree with Plutonius.

My Bottomline: Wait to buy from now until October 31. If there is a new iteration, it will be announced before October's end. If annouced in October, release will be November. If no annoucement before October's end, then buy current 5th generation.
Ghostbusters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:

Apple is likely to announce iPod updates with eitehr the iPhone updates or iPad updates. However, waiting until the end of October is probably a good suggestion if you hear nothing about iPod updates before then.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:58 PM   #9
chekz0414
macrumors 6502

I have a feeling a 6th gen will be announced alongside the iPhone 5C, and iPhone 5S, Because iOS 7 for the iPod touch and iPhone won't be delayed like the iPad version. This would allow for Apple to announce these first, and release them sooner. The iPod touch for this year could see the following:

~ Apple A6 or A7
~ Dual LED Flash
~ "Mogul" Mode from iPhone 5S
~ Ambient Light Sensor Return
~ 1GB RAM - 1.5GB RAM
~ 128GB capacity, to match with the iPhone 5S

This could be the "premium" model 6th gen, with a low end that releases later.
chekz0414 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:36 AM   #10
john bacon
macrumors newbie

If they will release the A7 on the next iPhone I think its almost certain the will update the iTouch with the A6 chip. God if that's true I'll update right away.
john bacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Cyloncat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chekz0414 View Post
This could be the "premium" model 6th gen, with a low end that releases later.
If there is anything at all, I'd expect just that premium model, call it the iPod Touch 5S, with 128GB storage and 1GB RAM.

Other things like ambient light sensor and dual LED flash would require some retooling of the case, and we would have seen that by now.

128GB might tempt me away from my Classic.
Cyloncat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:44 PM   #12
chekz0414
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyloncat View Post
If there is anything at all, I'd expect just that premium model, call it the iPod Touch 5S, with 128GB storage and 1GB RAM.

Other things like ambient light sensor and dual LED flash would require some retooling of the case, and we would have seen that by now.

We have a new flex cable.... -_-
chekz0414 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:49 PM   #13
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyloncat View Post

With Apples support of gaming controllers for its devices, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple made a high-end iTouch "5S" for advanced mobile gaming, seeing how mobile games makes more money than traditional consoles now.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 04:28 PM   #14
vanzantapple
macrumors regular

I have read no major rumors about the next iPT and it has been around a year since the present one was released. The iPT4 had a two year cycle, perhaps that is the plan for the iPT5.

While I'm at it, in the Buyer's Guide on this site, why do they have iPT5 labeled as "Just Updated"? That really gets on my nerves. They don't do that with other devices when there is a minor change in mid cycle. I have complained about this before but nobody cares.
vanzantapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 05:54 PM   #15
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanzantapple View Post
I have read no major rumors about the next iPT and it has been around a year since the present one was released. The iPT4 had a two year cycle, perhaps that is the plan for the iPT5.
Who know. I bet the iPod touch rumors are buried by the iPhone rumors, especially since they share parts.

Quote:
While I'm at it, in the Buyer's Guide on this site, why do they have iPT5 labeled as "Just Updated"? That really gets on my nerves. They don't do that with other devices when there is a minor change in mid cycle. I have complained about this before but nobody cares.
Actually, I've seen it happen for other things as well, not just the iPod touch. And the proper forum to talk about this would be Site and Forum FeedbackAnd it's probably a good discussion to start.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 02:54 AM   #16
vanzantapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Who know. I bet the iPod touch rumors are buried by the iPhone rumors, especially since they share parts.

Actually, I've seen it happen for other things as well, not just the iPod touch. And the proper forum to talk about this would be Site and Forum FeedbackAnd it's probably a good discussion to start.
Thanks for the advice!
Old Sep 6, 2013, 05:46 PM   #17
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

I think they will release a new iPod Touch next year. I seem that they release a new one every two years. I does not matter as the iPT5 I have is great and way better than that turd iPT4 that I replaced it with.
tonyr6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2013, 10:47 AM   #18
TommyA6
macrumors 6502

Quote:

iPod touch was updated a few months ago (a cheaper, no camera, 16 gb version), that's why it says "just updated".
TommyA6 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 07:59 AM   #19
vanzantapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA6 View Post
iPod touch was updated a few months ago (a cheaper, no camera, 16 gb version), that's why it says "just updated".
Downgraded isn't upgraded. Sorry.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:36 AM   #20
yinz
macrumors 6502a

Now that they didn't update the iPod Touch, I'm really starting to think the iPod Touch line is to extend the revenue from developing the iPhone by reusing old tech. Apple's lack of interest in adding functionality to this device makes me think this way. I think they'll just update it every 2 years now, since iPhone 5S tech isn't new.
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 08:36 AM   #21
defunct32
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hence it's way it was called an update. No?

update

verb
1. bring up to date, improve, correct, renew, revise, upgrade, amend, overhaul, streamline, modernize, rebrand an updated edition of the book
defunct32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:13 PM   #22
vanzantapple
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by defunct32 View Post
Hence it's way it was called an update. No?

update

verb
1. bring up to date, improve, correct, renew, revise, upgrade, amend, overhaul, streamline, modernize, rebrand an updated edition of the book
OK. If you think to UPGRADE means to take away functionality. Fine. You win.

I don't give a F.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:20 AM   #23
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's not downgraded, they are allowing you to buy a 5th gen with no camera for the same price as the 16 4th gen was, (The camera didn't matter on that one it was so bad)
Old Sep 15, 2013, 02:01 AM   #24
defunct32
macrumors regular

Quote:
OK. If you think to UPGRADE means to take away functionality. Fine. You win.

I don't give a F.
Yes, I am aware and know the meaning and definition of the word 'upgrade,' but the point here is, the iPod touch 5G, 16 GB (30th May 2013) was updated not upgraded and updated means some functionality could be taken away, added or be improved.

Why so bitter and vulgar? Jeez, I don't get some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
It's not downgraded, they are allowing you to buy a 5th gen with no camera for the same price as the 16 4th gen was, (The camera didn't matter on that one it was so bad)
He doesn't give a F, so don't bother explaining anymore.

Last edited by defunct32; Sep 15, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
defunct32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch