Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:30 PM   #76
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
This would hold so much more weight if you actually provided some details.
To your original complaints, I see less spam and scams being ran on this site than many others I frequent. Spam posts are generally nailed before I even get to click and reply with something snarky.
Agreed. When I report spam, it is generally taken care of pretty fast. At least things aren't so bad here that they are eliminating anonymous commenting like Huff Po is doing.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:50 AM   #77
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
True. What's bad moderation to some is perfectly acceptable to others. I've been toed and warned; looking back, I've deserved some and some were, to me, beyond ridiculous. The banning of a certainlong time member (I know the details through shared messages) was way too harsh for me. I guess you can say though that the combined negative experiences of many members do equal bad moderation as long as its truly negative experiences and not just sour grapes.
I don't know the details of that one but I question it too
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:25 PM   #78
tonie
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
There was a scam case in the FS forum and couple members including myself had reported to the mod and they didn't take action until a month and a half later. People been doing auction in the for sale forum and the moderators don't seem to care. If you are going to take upon the moderator title then you should put some effort in patrolling the forums. Just because it's volunteer doesn't mean you should slack off. If you feel like you can't patrol the forums then don't accept the position, simple as that.
tonie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:16 PM   #79
roadbloc
macrumors 604
 
roadbloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: UK
Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
Where are all the moderators? This forum seriously need to promote some moderators because there are scammers and spammers everywhere even after reported.
In hiding. Waiting to stealthily wield the ban-hammer when the time is right.
__________________
roadbloc is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 06:19 PM   #80
thekingofnerds
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
In hiding. Waiting to stealthily wield the ban-hammer when the time is right.
All the moderators are part-time thor-inspired ninjas
thekingofnerds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2013, 02:33 AM   #81
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
There was a scam case in the FS forum and couple members including myself had reported to the mod and they didn't take action until a month and a half later. People been doing auction in the for sale forum and the moderators don't seem to care. If you are going to take upon the moderator title then you should put some effort in patrolling the forums. Just because it's volunteer doesn't mean you should slack off. If you feel like you can't patrol the forums then don't accept the position, simple as that.
Any accusations of scams or Marketplace deals gone bad involve a lot of investigation on our part, which takes time. We don't moderate based on serious accusations such as this type without really looking into it, and that can't be done immediately. What appears to you to be "not acting" actually involves quite a bit of action.

Even though the Forum Rules specify that members make deals at their own risk, we do what we can to help clear up the mess when a deal goes wrong (and they are often cleared up). These cases are time-consuming, there's no way around that.

Quote:
MacRumors does not and cannot evaluate sales, items, sellers, buyers, or prices. These rules are intended to maintain order and to assist, rather than impede, personal sales and trades among forum members, but cannot ensure that every offer is legitimate or fairly priced. MacRumors is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.
So I'd say the enormous amount of time these cases tend to take, time which we do spend despite the disclaimer I've quoted above, and time that takes away from dealing with other forum business, could hardly be called "slacking".

But you are of course free to use other sites for your buying/selling needs. That's not the focus of MR, something that's also clearly stated in the rules.

Quote:
There are other websites more specifically devoted to buying, selling, and trading computer equipment, and to tracking buyer/seller reputations. The reason we have our own Marketplace is that it provides more focus on Apple products and is convenient for members who have had opportunities to learn to know each other.
annk is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:09 PM   #82
tonie
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
Any accusations of scams or Marketplace deals gone bad involve a lot of investigation on our part, which takes time. We don't moderate based on serious accusations such as this type without really looking into it, and that can't be done immediately. What appears to you to be "not acting" actually involves quite a bit of action.

Even though the Forum Rules specify that members make deals at their own risk, we do what we can to help clear up the mess when a deal goes wrong (and they are often cleared up). These cases are time-consuming, there's no way around that.



So I'd say the enormous amount of time these cases tend to take, time which we do spend despite the disclaimer I've quoted above, and time that takes away from dealing with other forum business, could hardly be called "slacking".

But you are of course free to use other sites for your buying/selling needs. That's not the focus of MR, something that's also clearly stated in the rules.

Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum? There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

It's funny how you guys act quickly when there's a post about you guys and shy away when there's a problem.
tonie is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:38 PM   #83
ardchoille42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
I'd like to chime in here. I hate spam, hate it I say! I hate it so much that I consider removing spam, and banning the useless spammers, a personal vendetta. I will go waaaay out of my way to report spam and I keep the Forum spy and New Posts pages active in my web browser.

Sometimes it's not as simple as a one touch ban and clean, sometimes further investigation is needed. And, for this investigation period it's sometimes beneficial to wait until the investigation is complete before "pulling the trigger".

I have served in admin and moderator roles on other forums and I feel the admins/mods here are doing a very good job given the amount of traffic this site attracts.

Just my $0.02.
ardchoille42 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 01:55 PM   #84
tonie
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
I'd like to chime in here. I hate spam, hate it I say! I hate it so much that I consider removing spam, and banning the useless spammers, a personal vendetta. I will go waaaay out of my way to report spam and I keep the Forum spy and New Posts pages active in my web browser.

Sometimes it's not as simple as a one touch ban and clean, sometimes further investigation is needed. And, for this investigation period it's sometimes beneficial to wait until the investigation is complete before "pulling the trigger".

I have served in admin and moderator roles on other forums and I feel the admins/mods here are doing a very good job given the amount of traffic this site attracts.

Just my $0.02.
I definitely understand but check this thread out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1695262
tonie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 02:51 PM   #85
ardchoille42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
I definitely understand but check this thread out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1695262
I tried to read that thread, but was not allowed:
"ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. The Most Common Reason: You have not activated your account by clicking on the link in the email that was sent to you when you reigstered. This must be done to activate your account. If you would like the activation email resent, click here. If you would like to change your email address that you registered with, click here.

2. You might be trying to post in a restricted forum. Users can't create new threads in MacRumors News Discussion forum or other "official" forums. Please find the appropriate forum for your topic and post there. Marketplace and Political forums have a minimum post requirement.

3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you still don't see a reason, read the FAQ for more details.
"

I feel these forums shouldn't have these types of limits if users are above 100 or so posts. Not only does it give the appearance of favoritism, but it limits the number of eyes that can catch spammers and bad posts. Maybe more spam could be caught if active reporters like me were allowed to view all posts?


Last edited by ardchoille42; Feb 20, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
ardchoille42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:12 PM   #86
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
I tried to read that thread, but was not allowed:
"[I]ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:..."

I feel these forums shouldn't have these types of limits if users are above 100 or so posts. Not only does it give the appearance of favoritism, but it limits the number of eyes that can catch spammers and bad posts. Maybe more spam could be caught if active reporters like me were allowed to view all posts?
The link that was posted was to a thread in the MacRumors Marketplace, which isn't available to all members.

Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides
Quote:
Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months). If you start a "for sale" thread or make other Marketplace-type posts in another forum to avoid the minimum requirements, your thread/posts will be deleted.
This may answer some questions about the policy: Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:19 PM   #87
ardchoille42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
The link that was posted was to a thread in the MacRumors Marketplace, which isn't available to all members.

Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides This may answer some questions about the policy: Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum
I understand the reason, though I disagree with it whole-heartedly, but that doesn't change the fact that fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times that spam is allowed to remain - if it's reported at all. Sometimes privileged people tend to feel too "privileged" to do any grunt work.
ardchoille42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:31 PM   #88
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God
 
Shrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
I understand the reason, though I disagree with it whole-heartedly, but that doesn't change the fact that fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times between reports and removals - if they're reported at all. Sometimes privileged people tend to feel too "privileged" to do any grunt work.
Let me suggest that as one of the "privileged", by dint of having run my mouth with some frequency (if not productively, just frequently), I have become more and more active in sending Post Reports over time, rather than less active.

Those who have been around for a while, and enjoyed learning and posting on MR, are more likely, IMO, rather than less, to want the Forum to a pleasant, interesting, and civil place to spend time.

Since I cannot back up my opinion with any facts about who are the most likely to help the Moderation team in their difficult task...take my observation for what it is worth.

As far as the Marketplace Rules go...it is my understanding that the idea is to require those posting there to have demonstrated some ongoing interest and commitment, if you will, to the Forum. Do scams occur? I'm sure that they do, on occasion. But the restrictions placed on Marketplace participation are an attempt to ensure, as much as is reasonably possible, that what transpires on that sub forum is honest and aboveboard.

I hope that my disagreement with your position has not given offense...none was intended.
__________________
Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
Shrink is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:42 PM   #89
ardchoille42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Let me suggest that as one of the "privileged", by dint of having run my mouth with some frequency (if not productively, just frequently), I have become more and more active in sending Post Reports over time, rather than less active.

Those who have been around for a while, and enjoyed learning and posting on MR, are more likely, IMO, rather than less, to want the Forum to a pleasant, interesting, and civil place to spend time.

Since I cannot back up my opinion with any facts about who are the most likely to help the Moderation team in their difficult task...take my observation for what it is worth.

As far as the Marketplace Rules go...it is my understanding that the idea is to require those posting there to have demonstrated some ongoing interest and commitment, if you will, to the Forum. Do scams occur? I'm sure that they do, on occasion. But the restrictions placed on Marketplace participation are an attempt to ensure, as much as is reasonably possible, that what transpires on that sub forum is honest and aboveboard.

I hope that my disagreement with your position has not given offense...none was intended.
I see no possible way offense could be derived from your post, good points are what I see there and I thank you for your input.

Though I still feel some of the limits in these forums are unnecessarily high.
ardchoille42 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 03:43 PM   #90
840quadra
Moderator
 
840quadra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Land of Free outdoor Freezers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum?
Since details of moderation regarding other members is always done in private, neither she, nor anyone on the moderation staff can, nor will answer this question.

Quote:
There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.
I am really sorry you feel that way about the Moderation and Admin staff on MacRumors. Many of them spend more time on this site putting out fires on here, than they do with their other hobbies or personal interests. Since Moderating isn't a paid position on MacRumors, I personally feel your expectations of the team are unrealistic, and quite frankly, unfair.

As Ann referenced in her post, we do take reports of scams quite seriously, and deal with them as we gather information from people reporting them. Keep in mind that it is quite seldom that a moderator will act alone in such situations, and we rely on corroboration between members of the moderator and admin staff before a decision is made. That does, and will continue to take time as we endeavor to take both sides of the story into consideration before making a decision.

If you have reasonable suggestions on how we can streamline our rules, or the process, please pass them on using Contact us, or this section of the forum.
840quadra is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:10 PM   #91
balamw
Moderator
 
balamw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times that spam is allowed to remain - if it's reported at all.

MOD NOTE:
FWIW we're really not concerned with spam in the Marketplace. As cited in the Marketplace Rules and echoed by Shrink, people who earn the right to post in Marketplace generally want to be here and very few spammers will wait 6 months and 250 posts to drop their payload.

We do however monitor the Marketplace for all other violations of the Forum or Marketplace Rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum?
I'm actually more than a bit offended by this, since we mods and admins of this forum are constantly investigating and discussing problems on the forum, and annk is a core member of that team. There's rarely a time when I visit and find no ongoing investigation or controversy in the back rooms.

The discussions and investigations can be asynchronous and take a long time to resolve since we cover many time zones.

B
__________________
MBA (13" 1.7 GHz 128GB), UMBP (15" SD 2.8 GHz), UMB (13" 2.4 GHz), iMac (17" Yonah), 32GB iPad 3 WiFi+LTE, 64 GB iPad WiFi, 32 GB iPhone 5, Airport Extreme

Last edited by balamw; Feb 20, 2014 at 04:21 PM. Reason: consecutive posts
balamw is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 04:19 PM   #92
ardchoille42
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post

MOD NOTE:
FWIW we're really not concerned with spam in the Marketplace. As cited in the Marketplace Rules and echoed by Shrink, people who earn the right to post in Marketplace generally want to be here and very few spammers will wait 6 months and 250 posts to drop their payload.

We do however monitor the Marketplace for all other violations of the Forum or Marketplace Rules
Thank you very much, I stand corrected.
ardchoille42 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:17 PM   #93
tonie
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
So it has been weeks and I don't understand why JOSE891 still can be actively on this forum. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the guy scammed another member. All it takes is couple of PM's. I understand sometimes it's best to discuss with another mod/s but you guys need to come to your own judgement and conclusion instead of depends on other mods. This is not a waiting game and if you can't judge for yourself then might as well abdicate from your position. Promote more admins/mods if you need to.
tonie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2014, 06:28 PM   #94
Carlanga
macrumors 601
 
Carlanga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum? There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

It's funny how you guys act quickly when there's a post about you guys and shy away when there's a problem.
Welcome to replied to someone from 2013 in your own thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
I definitely understand but check this thread out.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1695262
The member has not been remove because prob it's here one of the few places and pms that the other member can or could use to get it resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille42 View Post
I tried to read that thread, but was not allowed:
"ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. The Most Common Reason: You have not activated your account by clicking on the link in the email that was sent to you when you reigstered. This must be done to activate your account. If you would like the activation email resent, click here. If you would like to change your email address that you registered with, click here.

2. You might be trying to post in a restricted forum. Users can't create new threads in MacRumors News Discussion forum or other "official" forums. Please find the appropriate forum for your topic and post there. Marketplace and Political forums have a minimum post requirement.

3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you still don't see a reason, read the FAQ for more details.
"

I feel these forums shouldn't have these types of limits if users are above 100 or so posts. Not only does it give the appearance of favoritism, but it limits the number of eyes that can catch spammers and bad posts. Maybe more spam could be caught if active reporters like me were allowed to view all posts?

You are a newb, you can't see the marketplace. If you don't know what is linked don't assume. It's a bad trade that happened.
__________________
☻ "A dream you dream alone is only a dream...
... A dream you dream together is reality." ☻
Carlanga is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2014, 03:59 PM   #95
annk
Administrator
 
annk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonie View Post
So it has been weeks and I don't understand why JOSE891 still can be actively on this forum. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the guy scammed another member. All it takes is couple of PM's. I understand sometimes it's best to discuss with another mod/s but you guys need to come to your own judgement and conclusion instead of depends on other mods. This is not a waiting game and if you can't judge for yourself then might as well abdicate from your position. Promote more admins/mods if you need to.
You're bringing up a specific case, and the privacy policy means that you're not going to get any more information about the specifics. Only those directly involved in a dispute are kept abreast of what's happening, and why.

You misunderstand how moderation works. It's not realistic for moderators - or even administrators in most cases - to go rogue, taking action and making decisions alone in complicated situations. Working as a team keeps things as fair and transparent as possible. In addition, we get the benefit of more than one set of eyes on each case. I understand your frustration, but it comes from not knowing details. I know from experience that this sort of thing looks easy until you have to do it.

Reading through your posts in this thread, it sounds like you simply don't believe the answers you're getting. That's your prerogative, but it doesn't really lend itself to any sort of constructive discussion. In the end, either you trust the moderators and administrators to do a good job, or you don't.
annk is offline   4 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about moderators Mac'nCheese Site and Forum Feedback 18 Dec 20, 2012 07:53 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC