Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Going to USA for holiday. If I buy an unlocked iPhone 5 will it e good to use on uk network? Are 3G and 4g frequencies the same?

Also if I have a problem will USA warranty cover me in uk?

Thanks

phearz

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2008
See this thread where I was discussing the same situation with someone else: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1505635/

Regarding the warranty, it's hard to say. It's really hit or miss. Sometimes they'll swap in another country, sometimes they won't. Officially, the warranty states they MAY refuse service anywhere except the country of purchase.

Hope this helps.

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Thanks. So to clarify I need to get the A1429 version or the UK?

Where do I see this info?

UKmacman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Can anyone confirm what the USA iPhone 5 warranty says in relation to international repairs etc?

Tea-Aholic

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Can anyone confirm what the USA iPhone 5 warranty says in relation to international repairs etc?

I live in Australia, but I've always been told by the Geniuses that as long as you have an Apple Store in your home country, they will service your iPhone.

That being said, they will probably only service the same model that is sold in the UK, which is the A1429 GSM model. US carriers doesn't sell the A1429 GSM model (when you sign up for a carrier) or pay upfront. A1428 for AT&T and A1429 CDMA for Verizon and Sprint. Now, while carriers don't sell the A1429 GSM version, I have no idea what model iPhone 5 Apple sells outright in Apple Stores. Can anyone in the US comment?

EDIT: Warranty aside, The CDMA version of A1429 and GSM A1429 will both work in the UK. The CDMA actually has more frequencies than the GSM model in terms of LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.