Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bez59

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
Hi, I used to have iTunes setup with columns on the left for artists and albums but i can't work out how to do it in 11 anyone know if it can be done?

Like this.

142767-itunes9browser_original.jpg

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
Select the 'Songs' view, and then go to View>Column Browser. It doesn't look quite like before, but it's still a column browser :)

xlf888.png

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
The default "Artist" list is pretty similar to that. If you want to stick to a vertical list, you'll probably get use to that ahead of the horizontal browser.

Bez59

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Derbyshire, England
The default "Artist" list is pretty similar to that. If you want to stick to a vertical list, you'll probably get use to that ahead of the horizontal browser.

I started using that but it wont repeat 1 album at a time it repeats all albums by the selected artist.

jon9091

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Jeez...comparing those two pics, iTunes 11 looks like a convoluted mess compared to iTunes 10. Good job Apple. :eek:

Variant

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2005
Jeez...comparing those two pics, iTunes 11 looks like a convoluted mess compared to iTunes 10. Good job Apple. :eek:

Ummm... how? iTunes 11 looks more traditional "iTunes-y" in those pictures. The vertical column browser was introduced in iTunes 10. While that screen cap of 11 looks like every other iTunes, minus the sidebar.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
The column browser on the top is incredibly annoying. This is my main gripe with iTunes 11. At least give the option to have it on the left side. What's the point keeping it on top if you can only see a few rows and you have to keep scrolling??

borishnakov

Cancelled
Dec 1, 2012
I made the mistake of upgrading. Hoping Apple has the sense to bring this feature back. The new version is indeed an inefficient mess.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Let's all report this on Apple's feedback page. I like many things about iTunes 11, but this needs to be fixed.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
FWIW, I've always had the Column Browser at the top, and I use 4 columns, Genres, Composers, Artists, and Albums. My priorities have always been to avoid truncating text in the columns as much as possible and not to have a horizontal scrollbar in the song list, while viewing good-sized columns for Name, Artist, Album by Artist/Year, Genre, and Comments (other columns I include like Track #, Year, and Bit Rate are pretty much fixed size). Putting the columns on the left is at odds with my priorities, and it's basically impossible to consistently eliminate vertical scrolling even when you put the columns on the left.

Q: Is there a master "Home" key shortcut, to reset all the columns to their "All" items?

RollTheBeats

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
For me this is a really big deal. The removal of the option to align the column browser to the left has completely ruined iTunes for me. I need to revert back to 10.7. Can't understand why they got rid of this option, it makes no sense at all.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
My initial impression of iTunes 11 was very positive, but that was before I discovered some of the omissions, especially this one. While I certainly understand why the top-oriented "column" browser might make sense to some, it doesn't fit my usage pattern at all. I suspect that would be true of most people who used the column browser on large screens (e.g., the iMac).

I assume the missing features (this, the album artwork, proper album sorting in list view, etc.) are coming back, and that this was simply a rushed, unfinished release (albeit one with much promise in the long run, assuming the features return). If so, Apple should have said something to warn its users who rely heavily on features that previously existed in iTunes.

wolftigerrosebu

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Ugh... Hate it when Apple takes out useful features just because they're not popular. Like taking out Spaces in Lion. I loved that feature! I guess that's the price of streamlining... Let's see if we can bring it back with some strong feedback.

I have 1,000 hours of Grateful Dead shows in my iTunes -- I literally can't not use the column browser. It would be nice not to have to use the crummy older version of it that's the only one available to me now.

mattshawman

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2009
Has anyone else had problems with getting column browser working on the device section? It seems to be completely disabled!

I've got loads of songs on my iphone all of which were very easy to manage with the column browser on previous version. You can use the search to find songs on device which isn't too bad but you can't highlight multiple tracks by dragging and highlighting like before! You have to hold option and select them individually, massive pain!!!

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
Has anyone else had problems with getting column browser working on the device section? It seems to be completely disabled!

I've got loads of songs on my iphone all of which were very easy to manage with the column browser on previous version. You can use the search to find songs on device which isn't too bad but you can't highlight multiple tracks by dragging and highlighting like before! You have to hold option and select them individually, massive pain!!!

I don't know anything about that usage style, but I have a smart playlist "Off" containing songs that aren't on my Touch, and a regular playlist "On" which contains songs that are. I sync "On" to my Touch. I also have additional playlists based on "Off" like "Off - Recently Added - 1 Week" (plus 2 and 4 weeks), "Off - Lossless" (and Lossy), etc, which help me find music that isn't on my Touch. Managing my Touch is then just a matter of dealing with these playlists, mainly copying things from "Off" to "On" and deleting stuff from "On". I don't ever need to look at the Touch's list of songs in iTunes, so your question wouldn't come up for me.

Hope you can use this... If not, I'd appreciate learning what viewing the device's songs in iTunes brings to the table.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2010
2014 and this is still not fixed...

Reverted to 10.7 on my Windows 7 desktop to get it back since I can now sync my phone to my laptop instead...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.