Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Maybe they are rolling it out slowly... The 8-10 week estimate is probably the time it will take to be available in all markets..... You were probably one of the lucky early people..... Do you have any friends that live nearby who also have the iPhone 5 and are on a tiered plan? Maybe you can have them try it, to confirm my theory.

On a sidenote, AT&T will have to do better than this to get me to drop my unlimited plan... I never use facetime anyway.... But I'm sure this strategy will get a few people off unlimited, they will continue to bait people little by little.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Sweet.
I think that's the reason it turned on and stayed on cause of the overseas usage.
Now we all just gotta take a short trip out of the US to get that feature enabled:D

Thing is it didnt stay on though. When I landed it shut off and gave the same pop up message. It just randomly turned back on last night.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thing is it didnt stay on though. When I landed it shut off and gave the same pop up message. It just randomly turned back on last night.

Weird.
I know they're not rolling it out or turning it on at all for unlimited users like us though.
Hope you get to keep it but I think if you update firmware it will most likely go away.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
To add to this. I just checked mine (iPhone 5), and mine is "On" as well. Checked wife's (iPhone 4S) and hers is "On" as well.

AT&T family plan with unlimited data on each line. No tiered plans.

Haven't gone overseas or anything.

walvero

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
To add to this. I just checked mine (iPhone 5), and mine is "On" as well. Checked wife's (iPhone 4S) and hers is "On" as well.

AT&T family plan with unlimited data on each line. No tiered plans.

Haven't gone overseas or anything.

I'm experiencing the same thing, earlier yesterday I was just checking my FaceTime settings and I noticed that Facetime over cellular was on! I was kind of puzzled cause i never turned it on and I have a grandfathered unlimited data on my service. I even did a test and it went through, I don't know how that was possible. I went into my at&t account settings and to check if my data plan was changed and it wasn't, I still have unlimited data. I am on a family plan though and all of us are grandfathered unlimited data except for one iphone that was added 4 months ago with a 3GB LTE data plan.

spikeymike

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
CA
walvero: I did the same thing as you after I noticed it. Signed in and checked to make sure nothing was changed on the plans...etc.

I checked with my friend who is also on AT&T with grandfathered in unlimited data and his (iPhone 5) wasn't "On" and he wasn't able to switch it on without having to change his plan.

Strange...

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Wow! Just turned off my work 4S, and turned it back on. What do you know, the switch is now ON!

Everyone w ATT, turn your phone all the way off (Slide to power off) then back on and report back if you now have FT over cellular.

This is awesome. My one complaint about ATT might be resolved.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
Wow! Just turned off my work 4S, and turned it back on. What do you know, the switch is now ON!

Everyone w ATT, turn your phone all the way off (Slide to power off) then back on and report back if you now have FT over cellular.

This is awesome. My one complaint about ATT might be resolved.

Yep, that did for me. It was on when I powered back up. Didn't have to toggle it on.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Before power cycle: switch was off and could not flip to on.
After power cycle: switch is now in on position.

TypeMRT

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Yep, that did for me. It was on when I powered back up. Didn't have to toggle it on.

This worked for me too. I haven't made a test FaceTime call yet, but I was able to go to the Cellular & FaceTime areas of Settings and both showed the FaceTime switch on. I took a screenshot in case I need to complain if AT&T "magically" turns it off later.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
lol my toggle is on after a reboot until at&t pops up in corner. i just watched it toggle off in my face. screw you at&t

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Damn it:D
Facetime over cellular is turned on after I reboot and while its searching or displays no service.
Then as soon as it connects and gets AT&T signal its automaticly back to the off position:(

Attachments

• IMG_0084.PNG
    IMG_0084.PNG
    160.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0085.PNG
    IMG_0085.PNG
    165 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I did a reset on my phone (holding down power and home button) and my facetime toggle has stayed on.... i havent had the chance to make a test call but its still says on. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan by the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.