Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bp1000

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2011
The UK is way behind the US on the sheer quantity of towers and consequent unbroken blanket high signal coverage, in my experience of several months spent in NJ and NY over the last couple of years anyway. It may be different in Hicksville of course, but I never have anything less than full signal where I go (PA, CT, MD etc also). Over here in the UK, not so much. Which is why US automakers can be planning Internet radio in cars, whereas here it would be a complete joke. Networks are primarily fixated on offering the highest headline speeds in the big cities, without concerning themselves with the fact that outside of those areas, coverage and speeds can be awful.

I dont understand your post. I would also welcome full bars everywhere but the bit i dont understand is why this would be beneficial.

My speeds seem the same wether i have 2 bars or 5 bars. I still get 20Mbps + on three. I was in the sticks, south Devon recently and had no issues get 20Mbps, recently in North Wales too, near Anglesey and had the same speed, around 7Mbps on 1 bar or 4 bars depending on where i sat in the lodge.

I think the better coverage serves only to load balance capacity and where there is a lot of demand in built up areas.

Outside the city the capacity requirements diminish. I agree there are pockets where the cell towers backhaul needs upgrading or indeed towns that need more masts.

Overall since moving from o2 i've been very happy with three's coverage. I've had no coverage at all twice and i've been quite a few places. The amount of times my wife who is still on o2 has had no 3G when i have during this time i couldn't count of 2 hands.

I do feel o2 is perhaps slightly more reliable on the voice side but other than that three are great and coverage has been great for me too.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Sorry but that's just nonsense. Maybe you get full coverage everywhere you go but that is different to the whole of Scotland having data coverage which is not correct.

I travel to some pretty out of the way places and I can get data (not always 3G) on one or other of my devices. Most black spots are the on roads and motorways rather than where people stay.

JuicyPoloMan

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I'm confused...

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Following the launches of O2, Vodafone, and EE's 4G LTE networks in the UK, mobile service provider Three has announced that it is launching its 4G network within the region by December. Existing customers on Three's network will get 4G service at no extra charge upon launch, with plans for new customers being priced competitively against other carriers.

Three's LTE service is notable for being compatible with the iPhone 5's network bands, and will also allow consumers to select devices that are compatible with the new service. The company also announced earlier this week that it would abolish roaming charges for service in seven countries. The carrier also plans to include its "All You Can Eat" data plans in its new 4G service at no extra cost. Three's service in the UK was originally launched in 2003, and had a total of 8.8 million subscribers as of 2012.

Article Link: Three to Launch UK 4G Service in December

So wait. I just bought a iPhone 5... Does this mean i will get 4g? This is all very confusing.... ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.