Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdudley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
My fiancé recently purchased a laptop from dell, which caused her to be eligible for the $40 upgrade. She does not want to use the upgrade however, because she has some programs from work that are not yet compatible.

Would it be possible to use that upgrade to install w8 onto my 2012 Mbp? I have no version of windows currently running on it, because I don't want to spend $100 for windows just to be able to run some games on it. $40 for W8 seems much more reasonable though.

If I'm able to, could someone give me a step by step or link me to a reliable guide?

Drask

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2012
If by 'recentl'y you mean after July 2nd you can get if for $15. If not, yes, you can upgrade to windows 8 for $40 and use that copy in another computer. Check Microsoft's upgrade FAQ.

Jdudley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
If by 'recentl'y you mean after July 2nd you can get if for $15. If not, yes, you can upgrade to windows 8 for $40 and use that copy in another computer. Check Microsoft's upgrade FAQ.

I'm sorry, that did not answer my question in the slightest :/ please read my post

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
From the FAQ:

Do I have to install the Windows 8 upgrade on the eligible PC, or can I install it on another PC?
The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased from June 2nd, 2012 through January 31, 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.

Since you don't have a qualifying base OS you are operating outside the license.

The OEM/System Builder version is what you need to be legit. Usually $99 or $139 for W8 Pro.

B

sngx1275

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Missouri
Yes, I believe the 'upgrade' will install without prior Windows. I have a legal upgrade version of windows 7 and it will clean install.

IF it does not work. You can download a Windows 8 'preview' release which is free and legal and then upgrade that. You can make your own Windows 8 upgrade disk from the version you have by editing the cversion.ini to accept a different build number. Source: http://www.the-fays.net/blog/?p=207

It is kind of like modifying whatever file it was that removed the artificial restriction on installing 10.5 on my 550?Mhz PowerMac G4. :)

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
My fiancé recently purchased a laptop from dell, which caused her to be eligible for the $40 upgrade. She does not want to use the upgrade however, because she has some programs from work that are not yet compatible.

Would it be possible to use that upgrade to install w8 onto my 2012 Mbp? I have no version of windows currently running on it, because I don't want to spend $100 for windows just to be able to run some games on it. $40 for W8 seems much more reasonable though.

If I'm able to, could someone give me a step by step or link me to a reliable guide?

I will be doing this on my 5,1 MBP; although, I am pulling the SuperDrive and replacing it so I have a dual boot. As has been said, if it will not do a clean install - put Win 8 Dev Beta on it first. I have one system that I upgraded from Win 8 Dev Beta. I did not try a virgin drive like I will be once my drive and other hardware comes in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.