[All iPads] Tip: Don't drop your iPad... - Page 2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 2, 2013, 02:46 PM   #26
tomaseriksson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany246 View Post
Here's another tip: Don't put your drink right next to your electronics.
I almost always have one of my iPad's with me. I rather use my iPads to their full extent and get some battle scars then leave them unused in a dust free environment. Sure, one would should not be wreckless but I use my iPads everywhere. I have used various iPads in temperatures from -4 degrees Fahrenheit up to 130. I even had my iPad Mini with me out in the Sahara Desert for the marathon des sables. I have yet been able to completely break a iPad, this one is the closest so far.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 03:20 PM   #27
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinsjca View Post
A devoted vegan would eschew Gorilla Glass too.
I'd say eschew the Gorilla one bite at a time...you know, like how you eat an elephant.

(Does make you wonder which part the "glass" comes from....)
TJ61 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2013, 07:42 PM   #28
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
Warranty doesn't cover accidental damage anyway. the $125 repair was really the only sensible option.
But now when something goes wrong you have no warranty. The 'sensible' thing would have been to go to Apple and pay their cost. Not to cheap like you did
Old Jul 2, 2013, 10:51 PM   #29
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Voided the warranty on an iPad that was only 2 weeks old. Hope that doesn't come back to bite you in the butt
?
presumably he had a broken screen replaced. why wouldn't he do that? that's like paying to rebuild your burned home out of pocket because you don't want to pay the $1000 deductible.
DisplacedMic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2013, 04:49 PM   #30
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
But now when something goes wrong you have no warranty. The 'sensible' thing would have been to go to Apple and pay their cost. Not to cheap like you did
"When something goes wrong." The chances of something actually going wrong in one year is pretty slim. We're talking about a hardware defect, which is the only thing the warranty really covers. You're more likely to break your device accidentally.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
AC + does and that is a warranty.
you gotta pay for applecare plus and u gotta pay a 50 dollar deductible for every repar. That's already 150 bucks. Might be better to find another place.
appleisking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 03:31 AM   #31
Epiphron
macrumors regular

is it really gorilla glass? I heard apple uses a generic corning glass, but not specifically gorilla branded glass
Epiphron is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:53 AM   #32
pommie82
macrumors regular

Is it really worth it using your iPad naked effect and have these problems

* use iPad naked and have cracked screen

* use iPad with a really good case and have no problems

No brainer really
pommie82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:50 AM   #33
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
you gotta pay for applecare plus and u gotta pay a 50 dollar deductible for every repar. That's already 150 bucks. Might be better to find another place.
A mere $25 more for a legit replacement backed by the manufacturer. Rather than some third party that could prove to be crap, might have damaged your device getting put on etc.

Sorry but apple care makes more sense to me. But hey it's your money, your right to burn it as you wish
Old Jul 5, 2013, 02:35 AM   #34
tomaseriksson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie82 View Post
Is it really worth it using your iPad naked effect and have these problems

* use iPad naked and have cracked screen

* use iPad with a really good case and have no problems

No brainer really
It's almost a no brainer for me as well, but the other way around. Let me try to explain it.

I have owned iPads since the launch of the first and, four in total and this is the first time It happened. Maybee it's a no brainer for you, but for me it's almost a no brainer to not use a ugly rubber case and protective film. Why having a gorgeous device made of glass and aluminium and then never be able to to feel it? Imagine if people did the same for cars? Driving around in Porsches and Ferraris all wrapped up in plastic just do avoid scratches.

I rather pay my dues when ****ing up and enjoy the iPad naked and/or with cases made of premium materials.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 06:06 AM   #35
iCole
macrumors regular

I have a flashy blue smartcase from Apple and I really like the look of it. Doesn't make my iPad any uglier
iCole is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2013, 07:36 AM   #36
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaseriksson View Post
It's almost a no brainer for me as well, but the other way around. Let me try to explain it.

I have owned iPads since the launch of the first and, four in total and this is the first time It happened. Maybee it's a no brainer for you, but for me it's almost a no brainer to not use a ugly rubber case and protective film. Why having a gorgeous device made of glass and aluminium and then never be able to to feel it? Imagine if people did the same for cars? Driving around in Porsches and Ferraris all wrapped up in plastic just do avoid scratches.

I rather pay my dues when ****ing up and enjoy the iPad naked and/or with cases made of premium materials.
Err... bad example.

A scratch on a car and it'll still run.

A bad enough scratch on an iPad screen and it won't work as well.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 12:38 PM   #37
pommie82
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
Err... bad example.

A scratch on a car and it'll still run.

A bad enough scratch on an iPad screen and it won't work as well.
Thank you very much Michael for pointing that out!!!

Sounds like we have the same view of things here

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaseriksson View Post

If you have a really bad scratch on your iPad and you were would unable to watch a movie or read books or even surf the web.
Explain to me when the next time you could drop your iPad again "i will answer for you you don't know when it going to happen at all"
Oh well i hope that you drop a few more and you keep spending the money please report back to us so that i can have a good laugh at you for doing so.
Sounds like you are really hurt about dropping your iPad to because you have created a thread about it on a forum and be asking about where you could get your screen replaced.Looking forward to your response to this one
Old Jul 8, 2013, 02:21 AM   #38
tomaseriksson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie82 View Post
Thank you very much Michael for pointing that out!!!

Sounds like we have the same view of things here

----------

If you have a really bad scratch on your iPad and you were would unable to watch a movie or read books or even surf the web.
Explain to me when the next time you could drop your iPad again "i will answer for you you don't know when it going to happen at all"
Oh well i hope that you drop a few more and you keep spending the money please report back to us so that i can have a good laugh at you for doing so.
Sounds like you are really hurt about dropping your iPad to because you have created a thread about it on a forum and be asking about where you could get your screen replaced.Looking forward to your response to this one
Sure, the car comparison was maybe a little vague, but I still hold my believes. As I said above, I have had numerous iPads and even more iPhones. This is the first time it has happened, so I still feel that it's worth the risk. I wan't to be able to feel the premium materials that Im paying premium for.

Quote:
Oh well i hope that you drop a few more and you keep spending the money
Was that necessary? Why the hate?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:17 PM   #39
pommie82
macrumors regular

The problem what you are haven can be prevented completely i think you will find that i am correct on that note.So why run the risk of damaging your device and have to spend more money out to get your device fixed when you can just put a case on it and it would be fine that my point.

Like i have stated in the past if you want to keep using yours on that naked effect lifestyle then that that is completely up to you i am not telling you what to do i am just given you some friendly advice is clearly showing you are not going to take my advice and put something over your device to keep it from getting knocked about if you have the money to burn then that fine i am not telling you have to spend your money you can do what you want with the money but don't come on the forum and moan about something that can be easy prevented its not a like a impossible solution which can be solved so simple

At the end of the day they make cases so that you don't drop or break the device which is been used all the time if you cannot accept that then there nothing we can say on the matter really

I purely use a case because i don't want to be spending more money on the device which i have bought i am sure there is many people on the forum that use tough cases because they don't want to be spending more money then they have to
Old Jul 8, 2013, 02:50 PM   #40
SirYossi
macrumors member

Apple Care +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinoevans View Post
I live in Vegas and had my screen repaired on an iPad that was less than two weeks old. cost about $125
Since we have small child in the house we opted apple care plus it covers incidentally accidents for $99 and does not void the warranty.
SirYossi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 03:05 PM   #41
JoeShlabotnick
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinsjca View Post
eschew
Gesundheit!
JoeShlabotnick is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2013, 04:06 PM   #42
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Just cracked my iPad mini screen and dented my MBP today when opening my car door to unpack from vacation. To say I'm rattled is an understatement.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 08:12 PM   #43
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

As far as I know, the iPad and iPhone do not use gorilla glass, but "generic" aluminosilicate glass.
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:51 AM   #44
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
A mere $25 more for a legit replacement backed by the manufacturer. Rather than some third party that could prove to be crap, might have damaged your device getting put on etc.

Sorry but apple care makes more sense to me. But hey it's your money, your right to burn it as you wish
Agreed, working with Apple is the easiest.

Last edited by ucfgrad93; Jul 9, 2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:09 PM   #45
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
this stuff wouldnt happen if they used gorilla glass.
ive seen gorilla glass screens break

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
cracked glass, ipad 4