Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodgnus

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
Yup. The update is out.
Nope. It's definitely not flawless. I'm seeing the Duet getting confused between the level set using the volume knob and the level set using keyboard volume keys. Previously, they worked together. Now, the volume jumps based on which is used, as if the two represent two entirely different volume levels. You can even see it in the on screen floating volume display.

Boost the volume using keyboard keys. Note the display with white volume indicators. Now, turn down the volume using the Duet knob. I see dark gray indicators rather than white in the floating volume window and they don't match up.

Also: the Help menu item references Maestro 1 rather than Maestro 2.

Daubster

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Austin, TX
My experience with the new drivers...

About three weeks ago I bought two used Duets and a brand new iMac. Imagine my frustration when I spent a grip and couldn't record anything. I have been waiting sometime for the new driver release, and though I would share my experience.

My situation, however, is a little different. I [successfully] aggregated two Duets with the new drivers and Logic 9 in OSX Lion. You can read more about my experience on my blog in the link below, with a detailed report on how I did it. I would be happy to answer any questions. Overall, I would say the drivers need a bit of work, but I have managed to successfully record for several hours without significant problems...

http://www.daubsters.com/2011/09/02/dual-duets-aggregate-device-osx-lion/

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
About three weeks ago I bought two used Duets and a brand new iMac. Imagine my frustration when I spent a grip and couldn't record anything. I have been waiting sometime for the new driver release, and though I would share my experience.

My situation, however, is a little different. I [successfully] aggregated two Duets with the new drivers and Logic 9 in OSX Lion. You can read more about my experience on my blog in the link below, with a detailed report on how I did it. I would be happy to answer any questions. Overall, I would say the drivers need a bit of work, but I have managed to successfully record for several hours without significant problems...

http://www.daubsters.com/2011/09/02/dual-duets-aggregate-device-osx-lion/

Why are you spamming this all over the place? Looking for blog hits?

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
No - the driver for Lion is really not good at all. My iMac lose contact with Duet every other day - sometimes many times a day. After iMac sleep. Duet seems to Mute. Replugging FW contact - or pressing M (mute) button in Maestro2 - restart the Duet - but mostly the sound is trash - sounds like a analog distortion. Restar is the only thing that fixes it - untill next time the Duet goes mute.
Apogee - where is the REAL driver for Lion?

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
So whats going on with this ?

I have the duet FW and am running lion. Can play music via iTunes, but I have no audio output for my instruments even though meters register input signals..

bpm103

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2012
bollucks

I just picked up a new MBP and trying to hook up the old duet. It wasn't working like it did on my old iMac so I downloaded the new drivers and now everything that I run through is pinned in the red. I tried adjusting everything I could in the Maestro settings to no avail.

I guess Im SOL for now... back to headphones until they fix it or I get a new card.

L8

jpmizell

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
Trouble With Lion

Apogee Duet (1) Firewire Lion System Trouble
--
System:
17" MBP
OS X 10.7.2
GarageBand 5.1
Duet (1) Firewire (plugged in 800 port)
Maestro 2.4.3 (downloaded 2012-01-27)

---
Symptoms:

Duet manages system audio output.
System audio does not recognize the duet - Device Unknown - Firewire (800).
Screen indication of volume changes from the Duet are missing.
System output is locked to the Duet.
Maestro 2 shows the Duet but does not have options for controlling inputs. (i.e. turning phantom power on/off)
Maestro 2 is slow to open/close (damn the pinwheel).
Unplugging the duet crashes Maestro 2.
Unplugging the duet kills the system audio. (w/-w/o Maestro 2 open)
Plugging the Duet back in restores audio at Full volume (no device memory).
Closing Maestro with the Duet attached does nothing (this is good)

---
Attached:
Screen Shot of Maestro 2 with Duet attached (via FW800), on input screen.
Screen-Shot-2012-01-27-at-11.30.33-AM.png

---
It is disappointing that Apogee would release an update that is so fickle. I've essentially got a $500 volume knob until I manage to figure this issue out.

Benedict

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2008
It is quit shocking how bad the drivers are. my next audio card won't be an apogee. My duet v1 is unusable on lion. I now have to run a dual boot machine with SL on when I am producing.

jorgus

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2011
I will leave Apogee too - never again I by anything from them. It's a pitty - the hardware is good and pretty, but they just don't master the programming. It's obvius - it's always ben bad and late bugfixes. Always. And Duet FW is not a thing for 20 dollars - it's an expensive hardvare and they sold it untill recently and still sell it for special price - but it seems like they already stopped developing the driver for it. Shame on them. Goodbye Apogee.

It is quit shocking how bad the drivers are. my next audio card won't be an apogee. My duet v1 is unusable on lion. I now have to run a dual boot machine with SL on when I am producing.

LurchNC

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Unfortunatly I'm on my way out as well. My Duet was fine under SL, but its too unstable under Lion. I thought buying from a Mac only company was going to be a huge advantage. They seemed to work closely with Apple to integrate everything, so having dodgy drivers for Lion is just unaceptable. They won't get any more of my money I'm afraid.

I'm thinking of going back to MOTU. I had an ultralite before the Duet and it was always solid and stable.

Any other suggestion I should look at?

Thanks

I will leave Apogee too - never again I by anything from them. It's a pitty - the hardware is good and pretty, but they just don't master the programming. It's obvius - it's always ben bad and late bugfixes. Always. And Duet FW is not a thing for 20 dollars - it's an expensive hardvare and they sold it untill recently and still sell it for special price - but it seems like they already stopped developing the driver for it. Shame on them. Goodbye Apogee.

HoldernessMedia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
I must have really lucked out, I don't have all this instability that some of you seem to be having. Things have been chugging along fine. I have 2 MacBook pros, my main machine is a 2009 2.8ghz C2D running Lion 10.7.3, the other is a 2008 2.4ghz C2D running the latest Mountain Lion Developer Preview 2. Both are connected with FW800. No issues with either setup.

Is this problem happening only on newer i5/i7 machines, maybe with certain FW chipsets? If you're having that much trouble, have you uninstalled the Duet software, and reinstalled the latest version?

theSeaHawk

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
Apogee released a new software installer for the FireWire Duet for Lion and Mountain Lion here.

http://apogeedigital.com/downloads.php#DUET

Apparently you don't need to use this if you already installed the August 2011 duet software before upgrading to 10.7/10.8, it's intended for fresh installs.

I'm on a MBP with 10.7.4, with no install of Maestro in place (I had used my Duet 1st Gen Firewire on 10.6 on a MB).

So I downloaded the Duet-specific software installer noted above and when I click to install, it opens in text edit as text.

What do I need to do to get my 1st Gen Duet to work in 10.7.4?

thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.