Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:49 AM   #1
bobright
macrumors 68040

Help with formatting hard drive for Time Machine

So I am coming over from PC and have just got done copying over files from an NTFS external to my new iMac via Paragon.

I now want to erase and set up my external hard drive for a backup. How do I format it? Should I leave it NTFS since I have Paragon? Or is it better to format it first so it's friendlier for Mac (not sure how to do this)?
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Absrnd
macrumors member

To use the drive as a timeMachine you have to format it to osx extended (journaled)

when you finish it will ask to use the drive as backup, or you can select it in the TM settings

Absrnd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:59 AM   #3
dwmc
macrumors newbie

If you want to use TimeMachine, I would format is as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select your external drive, select 'Erase', select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' as the Format and give it a name.

Obviously, be certain you're not doing this to your primary OS drive.
dwmc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 04:11 AM   #4
bobright
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absrnd View Post
To use the drive as a timeMachine you have to format it to osx extended (journaled)

when you finish it will ask to use the drive as backup, or you can select it in the TM settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmc View Post
If you want to use TimeMachine, I would format is as 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, select your external drive, select 'Erase', select 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' as the Format and give it a name.

Obviously, be certain you're not doing this to your primary OS drive.
I will try this thanks guys. I have another question what if I wanted to back up with CCC instead how should I format it then? I haven't fully decided yet on which way to go.
bobright is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac