Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:17 PM   #1
ajumbaje
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to ajumbaje
Is it time to get rid of my early 08 MBP?

Considering getting a macbook air or pro. Is it a safe bet to assume my current macbook pro that's reaching its fifth anniversary this march is on its last legs(next os not compatible, etc)?

Specs:
15.4" anti-glare(non hd) display
2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo
4gb ram(upgraded after purchase)
512 mb nvidia 8600gt
640gb 5400 rpm hard drive(replaced post purchase)
OSX Mountain Lion

What do you think?
If so, you think 525 is a decent asking price? Theres a bend over the disc drive from trying to snap the frame back together while replacing the hard drive. I can still use the drive though
__________________
MBP Late 2013 Model 15" (2.6 ghz core i7, 2gb dedicated video, 16gb ram,1tb SSD)
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad mini w/ Retina Display 64GB
My android venture lasted 174 days...

Last edited by ajumbaje; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:23 PM.
ajumbaje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:18 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what a reasonable price may be. Then adjust the price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

Posted from my Early 2008 15" MBP that still runs as well as day one.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:21 PM   #3
duervo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Don't forget to specify the resolution and type of display.

For example, Hi-Res Anti Glare will net you a few extra bucks.

I think your price is reasonable, as long as the battery has been replaced within the last year, or has at least 85-90% of its capacity remaining. Battery with any less, I would probably knock off a hundred.

Also, you won't be able to sell it with Mountain Lion. I don't know of any way to transfer your ML copy to the new owner, because it's tied to your Apple ID, not the system.
duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
ajumbaje
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to ajumbaje
Quote:
Originally Posted by duervo View Post
Don't forget to specify the resolution and type of display.

For example, Hi-Res Anti Glare will net you a few extra bucks.

I think your price is reasonable, as long as the battery has been replaced within the last year, or has at least 85-90 of its capacity remaining. Battery with any less, I would probably knock off a hundred.
totally forgot to mention it is 15.4" anti-glare. Not hd. That was only available with the 17" at the time. Battery I think was replaced in the last year

----------

do you think it is on its last legs compared to the other macs out there and what will come out in terms of first party software?
__________________
MBP Late 2013 Model 15" (2.6 ghz core i7, 2gb dedicated video, 16gb ram,1tb SSD)
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad mini w/ Retina Display 64GB
My android venture lasted 174 days...
ajumbaje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
duervo
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajumbaje View Post
totally forgot to mention it is 15.4" anti-glare. Not hd. That was only available with the 17" at the time. Battery I think was replaced in the last year

----------

do you think it is on its last legs compared to the other macs out there and what will come out in terms of first party software?
It's tough to say. Because of the GPU issue with those systems, it will be difficult to predict its EOL. If it wasn't for that problem, you might even be able to get a bit more for it, like $600. But, there will be a lot of people that won't even go near it, because of the GPU problem with that generation. That's why I decided to just let my wife have my old early-2008 MBP when I upgraded to a mid-2012 one back in December. We're planning to have her use until it dies, or no longer meets her Facebook and light photo editing needs.

You're probably on the right track with OS X support, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple drop support for it in the next OS X release or the one after.
duervo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midwest
I would sell it, I generally get rid of my computers on an annual basis while they are still worth something. The longer you wait the value will just drop. If you want to keep it thats fine, but it sounds like you might want a new machine, so I'd try to get it on the market asap
__________________
Lots of Apple stuff........
JoshMKB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:36 PM   #7
ajumbaje
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: VA
Send a message via AIM to ajumbaje
Another thing I forgot to mention. I had to have the logic board replaced...
ajumbaje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
lali
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I would sell it, I generally get rid of my computers on an annual basis while they are still worth something. The longer you wait the value will just drop. If you want to keep it thats fine, but it sounds like you might want a new machine, so I'd try to get it on the market asap
Really? On a yearly basis? And you feel you are not losing too much?
lali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 08:39 PM   #9
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by lali View Post
Really? On a yearly basis? And you feel you are not losing too much?
I mean I definitely lose.....but the amount isn't a significant loss.
__________________
Lots of Apple stuff........
JoshMKB24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Yebubbleman
macrumors 68020
 
Yebubbleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajumbaje View Post
Considering getting a macbook air or pro. Is it a safe bet to assume my current macbook pro that's reaching its fifth anniversary this march is on its last legs(next os not compatible, etc)?

Specs:
15.4" anti-glare(non hd) display
2.5 Ghz Core 2 Duo
4gb ram(upgraded after purchase)
512 mb nvidia 8600gt
640gb 5400 rpm hard drive(replaced post purchase)
OSX Mountain Lion

What do you think?
If so, you think 525 is a decent asking price? Theres a bend over the disc drive from trying to snap the frame back together while replacing the hard drive. I can still use the drive though
Putting in a larger hard drive with 7200 RPM or, contrastingly, an SSD, will definitely breathe more life into that machine. Given that you can, with those specs, run Mountain Lion comfortably, I'd say you have another year of life in that machine. Obviously, if you want to run a program that won't run or run to your liking on your current machine, then it's time to upgrade now. But the fact that it's five years old doesn't at all mean it's "running on its last legs". That said, if you are finding yourself wanting a newer MacBook Pro and one that doesn't adopt the user-unservicable design of the retina MacBook Pro, you might want to buy one of the non-retina models as they will likely be discontinued at the next refresh. Otherwise, if you'd rather your next MacBook Pro have a retina display with the new body style (or if you don't care either way), you certainly will be fine waiting a year as you can comfortably run the latest version of OS X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMKB24 View Post
I would sell it, I generally get rid of my computers on an annual basis while they are still worth something. The longer you wait the value will just drop. If you want to keep it thats fine, but it sounds like you might want a new machine, so I'd try to get it on the market asap
A friend of mine and I did the math on this; if you buy a MacBook Pro and you sell it every year at each new refresh of the product line for five years, you actually save $1000 from the cost of what that initial MacBook Pro would've cost. It's definitely financially sensible. However, selling your computer every year is a pain in the ass. But if you can pull it off, there's no denying that you save money. And that doesn't factor not having to buy AppleCare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lali View Post
Really? On a yearly basis? And you feel you are not losing too much?
It is a bit of a ridiculous practice, but you do save a ton of money over the long haul by doing it.
__________________
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
Yebubbleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:46 PM   #11
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816
 
phoenixsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
$525.....

seems to me a good asking price, tough I am lending more to $600 tops if you had taken good care of the machine, and there are not cosmetic/functional issues involved.

About EOL for this machine, the first Intel-based Macs let in the cold by OS updates, first comes, if my memory works, with OS 10.7 So, maybe your computer stands up two iterations more of OSes (just guessing)

Factor in shipping costs/fees if selling through an online site.

__________________
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
phoenixsan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mod my early 2008 MBP or just upgrade to new Retina MBP? macizzy MacBook Pro 10 Mar 4, 2014 10:35 AM
iPhone: how to get rid of time ONLY on home screen uisim151 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 7 Jan 27, 2014 02:18 PM
Replace MBP Early 2011 with MBP Late 2013 prahn Buying Tips and Advice 3 Nov 22, 2013 09:37 AM
iMac Early 2008 and MBP 15 inch Early 2011 Dekard iMac 1 Jul 5, 2012 01:11 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC