Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:24 AM   #1
P3LiC4N
macrumors newbie

Boot MBA from USB3 drive

Hi,

I have a summer 2012 Macbook Air for my job. I want to be able to use it as my private laptop as well, to replace my early 2008 Macbook Pro.
The internal ssd of the MBA has not enough space for my personal apps, and replacing it with a bigger one is not allowed by my boss (and neither is putting all my own apps and stuff on it).

I bought a Samsung 840pro 256GB SSD, and installed in a Thermaltake Silver River 5G USB3 enclosure. I am able to install Mountain Lion using the recovery option when booting the MBA. Unfortunately, I'm not able to boot from the external disk. When I boot holding 'alt', the disk does not show up...

Has anybody any experience with booting a Macbook Air from an external usb3 ssd?

Thanks for your help!

Rik

Last edited by P3LiC4N; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:31 AM. Reason: problem solved
P3LiC4N is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by P3LiC4N View Post
Has anybody any experience with booting a Macbook Air from an external usb3 ssd?
Yes. I have a clone of my 13" 2012 MBA on an external drive and I can boot from it just fine by holding the option key and selected the external.

Are you sure you formatted and installed on the SSD properly? If you plug the SSD in can you see it in Disk Utility and the Finder? When you look at the SSD in Finder to you see what looks like the OS install folders there?
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
P3LiC4N
macrumors newbie

Problem solved

I did it!

I could not clone the internal drive, because it's encrypted and all my work stuff is on there.
I started the install using recovery mode in the MBA, and then I connected the disk to my Macbook Pro, which wanted to boot it (maybe because it's usb2), and finished the installation there.
Now I am able to boot the MBA from the external drive.

Thank you for your reply Weaselboy.
P3LiC4N is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air